Hair Dye Stinging Pain??

TwiggyStar

☆★twinkle★☆
Dec 1, 2009
So I dyed my hair recently, and I left it on for 30 minutes, like the box said, but my scalp was stinging the entire time. Is this normal?? Has anyone else experienced this pain when they dye their hair. I used loreal excellence, I like the results, but I have used other dye brands before, and always experience the stinging! I'm completely fine now so I don't think it was an allergic reaction. Just wondering if a stinging scalp is normal when dying hair.

When I dye my hair, it stings just a little bit....nothing uncomfortable though. I've been doing it for years, it's always been this way. But if the sting you feel is painful, I'd stop.

i think its normal to feel stinging or itching. i get mine dyed and i always have itching for the first 10-15 minutes and then after that it goes away and i feel fine

Thanks to everyone who responded!!

It was stinging quite a lot, but not unbearably bad, but then again I have a pretty high tolerance to pain.

No, I actually have never done an allergy test before dying my hair.. really bad and dangerous, i know. When doing allergy tests, are you supposed to mix the dye with developer, and then put it on your skin?? And what do you do when both contents are open, just put them aside.. thats why I have never done one because I didn't know how/what to do with it after..

I do have sensitive skin, so maybe it is just that... Thanks again for answering!!

I agree with Beach Bum, definitely be careful because it could be an allergic reaction and sometimes they can get worse with each exposure.

I don't know how true this is, but I was complaining to my hairdresser that my supposedly semi-permanent home hair dye wasn't budging AT ALL and definitely seemed more like permanent. She straight away asked if it was L'oreal, because apparently they have a bad rep for being stronger (?) and causing allergic reactions.

Yeah, my scalp has been itching a bit more than usual..

I will definitely make sure to do an allergy test next time. How do I do that though, do I mix the dye/developer? Or just open both and rub it on my skin?

I have had that happen, too. I was told to add sweet and low to the mix. I did and it really helps! Add one packet to the mix each time. Be very careful, you may have a worst allergy than I do, so I'd patch test it, first!

My scalp would sting and afterwards would be red and shiny for days. My derm said it was a chemical burn most likely due to sensitivity to the ammonia. I had to switch dyes and leave it on only until it starts to tingle (usually 20 min).