hair colors

Thanks for telling us that, Ilikemike65. My wrong assumption came from my stylist advising me to use demi-permanent but in a dark brown color, so I figured black demi permanent would be easier to get out too!

I use Color Gems, which says it will last for so many shampoos. But if I understand you correctly, that would not be the case with black?

I haven't really put it to the test because I get white roots and put more of it on before the 12 or 24 or whatever it is shampoos, so I am putting color on color, though not black!

Thanks for telling us that, Ilikemike65. My wrong assumption came from my stylist advising me to use demi-permanent but in a dark brown color, so I figured black demi permanent would be easier to get out too!

I use Color Gems, which says it will last for so many shampoos. But if I understand you correctly, that would not be the case with black?

I haven't really put it to the test because I get white roots and put more of it on before the 12 or 24 or whatever it is shampoos, so I am putting color on color, though not black!

It is actually not the case with demi-permanent in any color. It is an oxidative dye and will penetrate the cortex of the hair and can sometimes be difficult to remove even in the best of circumstances.What your stylist is thinking of is what is called a semi-permanent color which differs from a demi-permanent color. I am not too familiar with what you're using but if your "Color Gems" is only supposed to last 10-15 shampoos then it is actually a semi-permanent color. There are 4 classifications of colors:
Temporary-which lasts from shampoo to shampoo.
Semi-permanent which as I stated above will last 10-15 shampoos (depending on the integrity of your hair)
Demi-permanent which will only darken or change the tone
Permanent which will lighten as well as darken the hair and it has the capacity to remove natural pigments.

I hope that helps. In case you're wondering what my background is and to assure you that I'm not some kitchen cosmo trying to blow smoke up your butt..........:roflmfao:

I have been a stylist for 16 years in Las Vegas and have done haircolor education for 10 years. I was a Senior Artistic Associate for Revlon Professional and taught all the advanced color classes, trained all the incoming Junior Associates as well as did platform work and shows. I also tested and formulated new consumer and professional products.
I then worked for L'anza International and helped with the launch of their color line (Belavance) when they brought it for use in the United States. I set up all of the test salons where I would spend three days training all of their stylists to use our color and do general product knowledge classes with them. I also did all of the hair shows and color launch weekends.
I am currently the Artistic Director of the HOT Style Council at Helen of Troy (We make appliances like curling irons and blow dryers.....we make all of the consumer products you might see at WalMart or Target in the brandings of Vidal Sassoon and Revlon and the professional brands of Hot Tools and WIGO.) and I oversee their education, do all of their sales meetings and shows. I also help design and test new products. I do work full time in the salon in Las Vegas and do some consulting work for Redken helping to test new products.

Any questions that you might have I would always be more than happy to help!

LOL I really appreciate your help very much, those are very impressive credentials but I believe you without them! :smile:

My stylist suggested Color Gems, and it is I who am the kitchen cosmo throwing around the term demi permanent incorrectly!

I hope I have not given false hope to the original poster, and again, thank you for clearing that up and telling us all what the correct terms are for each one.

I will try to have someone with good eyesight read the Color Gems package to see what it says, or I will ask my stylist next time I go.

I do know that Color Gems will not lighten hair, it can only make it darker, I have seen it "fade" near the roots when I have been lazy about touching them up, so I am basing my guess that it will come out easy on that. I mean, I think I could probably just wash my hair a whole bunch of times and have the middle part turn light brown if I wanted to rock a really odd look. :P

LOL I really appreciate your help very much, those are very impressive credentials but I believe you without them! :smile:

My stylist suggested Color Gems, and it is I who am the kitchen cosmo throwing around the term demi permanent incorrectly!

I hope I have not given false hope to the original poster, and again, thank you for clearing that up and telling us all what the correct terms are for each one.

I will try to have someone with good eyesight read the Color Gems package to see what it says, or I will ask my stylist next time I go.

I do know that Color Gems will not lighten hair, it can only make it darker, I have seen it "fade" near the roots when I have been lazy about touching them up, so I am basing my guess that it will come out easy on that. I mean, I think I could probably just wash my hair a whole bunch of times and have the middle part turn light brown if I wanted to rock a really odd look. :P

I know what you mean about not being able to see! I turned 40 and can't see past the end of my own nose! haha

I am sure you didn't give false hope to the original poster....I just didn't want her to have her own false hope! People come into the salon all the time with super dark (or like I said...WORST CASE...black) color on and want to go blonde! I had a client the other day who has been coloring her own hair dark...with a demi color....and brought a pic of........Kristin Cavallari! I was like.....UUmmmmm, can this be a work in progress??? It just simply doesn't work that way! hehe I like to say, "It's not like nail polish that you put on and take off!"
But people watch celebrities do it all the time and think it's easy. They have no idea that they're all bald! Heck, Britney Spears only shaved off a whopping 3 inches of hair cuz it's all she had! They all wear integration systems, hair extensions and wigs....that is how they do it. Not to mention, if you're blonde in the first place, go dark and then want to go blonde again...it's much easier than to be dark right out the gate and want to go blonde....whole nother ball game! So actually if ANYONE is giving people false hope it's celebritites and since we're a celebrity driven society.....we as stylitst are in big trouble! We're pulling our own hair out!:roflmfao:

Heck....talk about being celebrity driven.....look at us here in this forum! We're all working our tails off to buy some glorified piece of leather and plastic because we saw "So and So" carrying it. When in actuallity they're only carrying it cuz it was free to them! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ilikemike, I think you would really like my stylist, or my Hair Designer, as I usually call her.

She will politely but firmly refuse to commit any chemical process that she thinks will damage a particular head.

I agree with you about the celebrities, people here I think are more likely than the average viewer to understand that the Girls Next Door and Beyonce have never been seen without thousands of dollars worth of extensions, though to their credit E! did have one report that pointed out that it took Lindsay Lohan 2 days to rehab the black out of her hair, and she was at the salon for most of those 2 days.

You probably have a better idea than I do about just which grade of agricultural feed-quality straw what remains of her natural hair now resembles, as it cowers there, trembling like a fevered whippet under the extensions ;)

Your post also made me recall an America's Next Top Model contestant who had sewn a wig to her hair. All by herself, and wasn't she proud! :biggrin:

Ilikemike, I think you would really like my stylist, or my Hair Designer, as I usually call her.

She will politely but firmly refuse to commit any chemical process that she thinks will damage a particular head.

I agree with you about the celebrities, people here I think are more likely than the average viewer to understand that the Girls Next Door and Beyonce have never been seen without thousands of dollars worth of extensions, though to their credit E! did have one report that pointed out that it took Lindsay Lohan 2 days to rehab the black out of her hair, and she was at the salon for most of those 2 days.

You probably have a better idea than I do about just which grade of agricultural feed-quality straw what remains of her natural hair now resembles, as it cowers there, trembling like a fevered whippet under the extensions ;)

Your post also made me recall an America's Next Top Model contestant who had sewn a wig to her hair. All by herself, and wasn't she proud! :biggrin:

Yeah, my g/f does LL's extensions (And our bald friend Ms. Spears' too!) and boy could I tell you some stories~!

And as far as Stylist/Hair Designer.....just don't call me an "Operator" hehe Reminds me of my grandma!

Not to mention, if you're blonde in the first place, go dark and then want to go blonde again...it's much easier than to be dark right out the gate and want to go blonde....whole nother ball game! So actually if ANYONE is giving people false hope it's celebritites and since we're a celebrity driven society.....we as stylitst are in big trouble! We're pulling our own hair out!:roflmfao:

I was blonde (platinum) went a natural black (not the blue/black you mentioned), then intense red and just this week went back to blonde (a more golden color)! :wtf: LOL Luckily I have EXTREMELY tough hair that takes 4 sessions of dying with no issues and I ALWAYS do it myself! :wtf: It turns out great if I do say so myself! :yes: Every stylist that has dyed my hair has ruined the color. I think many have to realize that each persons hair is different. Some don't. I kept telling her not to put ash tones on my hair and guess what!?! She did and I came out with purplish green blondish hair. I only use natual bases for me and it does come out a bit golden but I love it.

Here is my color before, after and now...I have to change it up-ALOT! LOL

To the OP: Keep in mind if you go red, from my experience, it is the hardest color to keep in your hair (it fades quickly) but it is also one of the most difficult colors to remove IMO. It may be very difficult to remove the reddish tones! It was when I went red! My preference for you would be a blonde shade! :yes:

Attachments

3.7 KB · Views: 43
    5.3 KB · Views: 29
  • crystal3.JPG
    crystal3.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 42
Yeah, my g/f does LL's extensions (And our bald friend Ms. Spears' too!) and boy could I tell you some stories~!
Ooooooh! THAT deserves its own thread. Or six. Pleeeeeeeze start one and tell us some. Nobody will know. It is the internets, and everybody knows that in real life we are all really 14 year old boys from Romania huddled in a dollara'hour internet café. So TELL!

Do we have a bounce excitedly up and down like a poodle with a circus cut when it hears the jingle of car keys icon?
:party:

Ooooooh! THAT deserves its own thread. Or six. Pleeeeeeeze start one and tell us some. Nobody will know. It is the internets, and everybody knows that in real life we are all really 14 year old boys from Romania huddled in a dollara'hour internet café. So TELL!

Do we have a bounce excitedly up and down like a poodle with a circus cut when it hears the jingle of car keys icon?
:party:

OMG you always crack me up! :roflmfao:

If you have black on your hair there is no way you can go blonde without taking a toll your hair. :s

That's why when my clients want really dark hair i never go black always go a dark brown or something that wont be killer to get out red's and black are the two most difficult colors to get rid of.

Unless your stylist plans on stripping your hair of color and hoping for it to pull the black out then i suggest just getting a heavy weave and try to lighten it up that way.

Good luck!