Had sold my Fall '09 Jumbo GHW bought '08 SHW Jumbo-can see differences in the two!!!

deb68nc

O.G.
Jul 23, 2008
I originally had purchased a '09 black jumbo caviar and decided to sell it for a pre-owned 08' Jumbo with SHW...Long story..don't ask! Anyway, Comparing the two flaps I did see some differences between the two. The leathers are quite different today than the older versions. The '08 has a much glossier finish to it and the leather is thicker and more ridgid than the '09 version. None of the straps are glued, it's one continuous piece. The '08 is made in France and the '09 is made in Italy. (Although both are superior quality) So that doesn't make a difference to where the bags are made. I looked the '08 over thoroughly and there are no stitching issues. The 09' didn't have any stitching issues either. I think what amazed me the most about both flaps overall is the leather being glossy back then and more matte-like today. Hmm..wonder why they did that? Here is a picture of the SHW....

Photo2.jpg

Last edited:
Great comparison! I've been wondering myself whether or not to purchase a classic flap from '08 or '09! With your pictures and description, I'm leaning towards '08 now. Thanks!

I've noticed the difference in newer v. older caviar too. I have the same Jumbo (mine may be from '07, not sure), and it's glossy, rigid and super structured... just the way I like it! :love: There is actually a thread (it's older, so some of the newer members may not have seen it) about this topic - older v. newer caviar and the difference in the finish. I think this is the thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/jumbo-matte-caviar-vs-jumbo-shiny-caviar-pics-232076.html Obviously, it's from a couple of price increases ago and the prices aren't relevant anymore :sad:... pictures are though! In any case, I love your Jumbo... congrats! :smile:

Last edited:
deb68nc ~ whoa, the difference is so much more obvious in the 2nd set of photos, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the link fieryfashionist! I was looking for that thread, and in particular this pic:

oldandnewcaviar2.jpg

old caviar on the left, new on the right.

I have both types of caviar in my collection and (strangely) prefer the matte one.

I prefer the made in France caviar flaps as well. My black caviar gold hw is a 2009 and it's made in france. I was on the waitlist for a black cav gold hw and when my SA called me when the first batch came in, I passed because it was made in Italy. I didn't like the dull finish and the caviar was way too grainy so the quiltings weren't prominent. From a distance, I couldn't even tell that there was quilting. The next batch was a made in France with shiny caviar, evenly pebbled leather, and prominent quilting/stitching. I think it just depends on the batch.

I don't think where it is made makes a difference on the sturdiness and stucture as I had a white jumbo caviar from 08 made in France and it was pretty soft. Unless of course it is only applicable to black caviar? Also, my black caviar m/l ghw flap from 09 is glossy. So I think it really depends? Anyhoo, I too prefer the glossy finish. Part of the reason why I let my small black flap go was because it had the matte finish.