Had an issue with eBay seller

Iserd

Jun 20, 2020
I listed a Gucci marmont bag that I purchased at Nordstrom rack for a decent price on eBay. got some interest in it and I live in the us so I turned off the international shipping. Because of COVID. Yesterday, a buyer purchased the bag using an address in Niagara Falls ny to circumvent the international shipping issue and then after purchasing the bag they switched their address bag to Canada. I canceled the sale. When I went to relist the item, despite telling eBay what happened, I was blocked from relisting a Gucci bag period due to selling limits. Even though I haven’t sold any other designer handbags.. I’m so frustrated I’m about to take the loss and sell it to fashionphile to get rid of it at this point. It’s a very rare bag too it’s such a shame. Has this happened to anyone elsev

I listed a Gucci marmont bag that I purchased at Nordstrom rack for a decent price on eBay. got some interest in it and I live in the us so I turned off the international shipping. Because of COVID. Yesterday, a buyer purchased the bag using an address in Niagara Falls ny to circumvent the international shipping issue and then after purchasing the bag they switched their address bag to Canada. I canceled the sale. When I went to relist the item, despite telling eBay what happened, I was blocked from relisting a Gucci bag period due to selling limits. Even though I haven’t sold any other designer handbags.. I’m so frustrated I’m about to take the loss and sell it to fashionphile to get rid of it at this point. It’s a very rare bag too it’s such a shame. Has this happened to anyone?

I have a question to be answered before giving suggestions.

Do you have your preferences set to block buyers in countries to which you don't ship? It's not enough to state in the description that you don't ship internationally. You MUST set the listing to block international bidders/buyers.

If your settings weren't proper, you are obligated to sell to her or risk a defect for not shipping.

Yes I had it in my preferences to not ship internationally. She Changed her address to Niagara Falls NY to purchase and then switched it to Ontario after she purchased just to get around my set preferences. I just got a bad vibe from it so I canceled the sale.
I have a question to be answered before giving suggestions.

Do you have your preferences set to block buyers in countries to which you don't ship? It's not enough to state in the description that you don't ship internationally. You MUST set the listing to block international bidders/buyers.

If your settings weren't proper, you are obligated to sell to her or risk a defect for not shipping.

Reactions: caannie
You can report the buyer. You should also call ebay and report over the phone.

To do it online, go to the leave feedback page but instead of leaving feedback, click on report the buyer. You can describe what the buyer did to circumvent your shipping restriction.

Whether they'll do anything or not might depend on whether it's happened in the past and whether it was reported. But at least, it'll be on record so if it's done again, they'll be more apt to act.

When you canceled, I hope you chose that "there's a problem with the buyer's address" as the reason.

Reactions: caannie
Yes I had it in my preferences to not ship internationally. She Changed her address to Niagara Falls NY to purchase and then switched it to Ontario after she purchased just to get around my set preferences. I just got a bad vibe from it so I canceled the sale.
I suspect she bought it with her US mailbox address and since she can’t cross the border to pick up switched to her Canadian address. I’m having the same issue and am having to have my US mailbox ship to me which is adding a lot of expense. She probably lives near the border and usually crosses to pick up her bags to avoid the extra duty and tax. Covid has put a stop to that. So she may be a perfectly legit buyer who was hoping you would ship to Canada during this border shutdown. ETA: she’s in Niagara Falls so yes she’s right at the border.

Reactions: cartier
You can report the buyer. You should also call ebay and report over the phone.

To do it online, go to the leave feedback page but instead of leaving feedback, click on report the buyer. You can describe what the buyer did to circumvent your shipping restriction.

Whether they'll do anything or not might depend on whether it's happened in the past and whether it was reported. But at least, it'll be on record so if it's done again, they'll be more apt to act.

When you canceled, I hope you chose that "there's a problem with the buyer's address" as the reason.
I wouldn’t be so fast to report her personally because I understand her situation. Please see my response to the OP, the buyer’s just trying to purchase and can no longer cross the border to pick up due to closure.

I wouldn’t be so fast to report her personally because I understand her situation. Please see my response to the OP, the buyer’s just trying to purchase and can no longer cross the border to pick up due to closure.
I get that but the buyer should have emailed the seller before buying and lying after the fact.

I had a similar issue with a buyer a couple of days ago but my buyer was honest. My listings are US only but I will consider international buyers if they message me and ask whether I'll ship to their country and how much it'll cost.

(It also gives me the opportunity to check their feedback left for others to see if they're PITAs!)

So this buyer asked if I'd ship to her because she was looking for this particular item for years. (It wasn't large nor expensive but just HTF in the pattern I had.)

She told me her Toronto postal code and I gave her the first class international price. I revised the listing to add Canada and first class shipping and she bought it.

The reason I bring this up and describe my situation is to show that that's what the buyer could have done and it would have given the OP the chance to decide whether she wanted to do it.

I get that but the buyer should have emailed the seller before buying and lying after the fact.

I had a similar issue with a buyer a couple of days ago but my buyer was honest. My listings are US only but I will consider international buyers if they message me and ask whether I'll ship to their country and how much it'll cost.

(I also gives me the opportunity to check their feedback left for others to see if they're PITAs!)

So this buyer asked if I'd ship to her because she was looking for this particular item for years. (It wasn't large nor expensive but just HTF in the pattern I had.)

She told me her Toronto postal code and I gave her the first class international price. I revised the listing to add Canada and first class shipping and she bought it.

The reason I bring this up and describe my situation is to show that that's what the buyer could have done and it would have given the OP the chance to decide whether she wanted to do it.
Fair enough. Perhaps this gal wasn’t quite as savvy. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I also think calling her a liar is a tad harsh, some people aren’t as aware of eBay rules and she may not have realized you can’t switch addresses. Just sayin.