H effect

birkel

O.G.
Jan 17, 2009

Ok so in these past days i have been wearing all H bags again and have decided that i will invest in more discrete options from the french maison such as the plit plat and the bolide padlock and maybe another jige in color or an eegee point is that the H movement is at its peak and I have seen or identified it in what I can say is a three phase compilation resulting in the perfect storm.and since social anthropology and the survival of tradition is an interest of mine I shall attempt to write down my thoughts they just keep bouncing in my head asking to get opinions .

1.- the Vintage resurgence, Hermes true fans have moved on to vintage, we see that the recollection of hermes real and true vintage at super boutiques like Ludot Gppert or maxifields have super boosted the presence of the brand and its history. and the super fashion delegates have decided to endorse this , Mira Duma is now wearing a stunning collection of vintage Kellys and has decided to store her supersized mega crocs and leathers. The H lady BAG is back and im so very very happy about this effect. In this same note I wish to express that having moved on to vintage the craftsmanship in every piece i now have the privilege to enjoy is amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is one of the three notes that I want to send out so we can comment what we have seen and what we have lived concerning Vintage.

2.- in the world of Hermes Birkin and Kelly are now demode …… I keep seeing everyone in this mini divine, world of ours Luxury world that is. comment on how they are worried the birkin and Kelly are now everywhere and no longer a unique part of the luxury ladder … as someone who wears Hermes bags for the quality and leather im not concerned but this has been on the luxury info waves for quite some time and the fact that Mr. cristophe L. has decided to ban the beautiful classic B&K from his shows does make me wonder so again just putting it out there to see what you think.

3.- number two brings us to three, if the beautiful perfect bags are so out of the look what of all this Hermes leather types in all of the other maisons de marroquinerie like Vuitton and its haute marroquinerie or its new alma in grained leather, or the revival of Moreaux and Moynat. not to mention goyards expansion to leather and exotics.
so what do we think is the H effect more powerful that it ever was before ….. and if so what are we H lovers up to next. after all we do have a head start in this wave of perfect leather works …….. whats next PFH lets share. Best as always .BIRKEL.

Last edited:
I am into vintage Hermès bags myself and always have been.
I have three Kelly's which I bought from consignment stores a long time ago and a small Chaine d'Ancre in black box.
I bought a hardly used Birkin 4 years ago and it was in such a pristine condition that I was terrified of taking out of its box and believe it or not...I never wore it.
I sold it two months ago.
Now, I am looking for more understated bags, like the Atlas or the Caravane.
Hermes is not only Kellys or Birkins, there are so many other stunning bags.
Just by looking at ebay.fr I have discovered models that I had never heard of before.....Vintage ones most of the time.
Great post Birkel!

Though my love for the Kelly is profound, including my love of wearing it, other bags feel more "chic" in luxury-rich NYC. The Jigé, Marwari, Trim 1, and Market are phenomenal. Anything in barenia with a patina, too. Vintage is treasure trove; I rarely see anything that can hold a candle to my red chamonix Dalvy in terms of lines or stitching or leather . . .

I love the Plit Plat, Birkel—I hope one comes into your wardrobe soon . . .

I've chewed this over for a while, and I'm not sure that my answers to 1. 2, and 3 are mutually exclusive.

I fawn from a distance at the vintage Hermès I see. I, like you birkel, love the vintage photos thread. I love the vintage bags. But if there's something I personally appreciate about the house is its ability to produce amazing examples of form and function. Function, in 2014, especially for women, is significantly different than it was in 1964, when a small coin purse, lipstick and key fit were generously accommodated in a Lydie or Sac Cordeau. I've got multiple keys (home, work, car), phones, paperwork. Wallets, notebooks, etc etc I need that just wouldn't happen in a vintage bag. Yes, there are other designs, but nothing as polished as the ones we collectively sigh over.

But now, even the Constance has been redesigned, and by all accounts for the needs of women today. Breakfast to meeting to dinner. Done. The Double Sens (and it's mate the Fourbi) are sleeper designs, catching the wearer by surprise at its beauty, usability and luxury, even though the DS is Hermes at its finest - simple, chic, leather, and as beautiful inside as it is outside. Then the Oxer has just been released, and it's beyond gorgeous. Multiple ways to carry, hold and fold. No fuss, little fanfare but complete celebration of Hermès ingenuity. Do other houses think this way? Or just produce pretty things? Are the zippers, bells and whistles added or removed to ensure the end product is beautiful and functional? Is LVs MO just exclusivity and nice leather?

And maybe that brings me to both 2 and 3; whilst the "public focus" has been on the shiniest new exotic or other (like in that display of plastic wrapped B & K case at the shop in the Asians and Hermes thread), and all the competition is trying to make accessories with little regard for scale or use, maybe Hermès isn't on such a bad track after all?

great post, Birkel!

out of frustration in ever scoring another b or k at the boutique i'm quite fortunate to come across a K and a B in great preloved prices. and thanks to a lot of people, it's ok to carry vintage after all.

i've been loving LV lately with its non logo creations. so far nothing in their special order section (haute marq.... sorry forgot how to spell it. ). good thing too bec good luck to me if i ever get invited to special order at LV.

good thing also when i walked into goyard they don;t have the bag i wanted in white or gray (whew). so far loving valextra!

Lovely post Birkel and I must say I agree with #1 and #2. I find myself focused on under-the-radar bags - ever since I picked up a Bolide I now want more and more, it is a supremely practical and lovely bag- they do feel more chic in NY, LA, Paris, London, Dubai, etc, where the Birkins are out in force and the Kellys right behind.
Personally I like the "older" styles of these bags in a "leather leather" like barenia or in box, sellier for the Kelly, etc. I won't stop carrying my Birkin but it's lost a lot of its "oomph" when the Kardashians have 20 apiece.
I don't care for the "new haute" of LV or other lines but I never really liked LV or Goyard to begin. When Henri Beguelin was run by its namesake I liked those leathers...would love to find another small house like that :heart:

Have always loved vintage because the quality of workmanship plus the patina are just unmatched. To me, nothing is more beautiful than a modern looking girl in denim and a well tailored blazer carrying her mother's sellier black box Kelly or a woman in the prime of her years wearing her Constance minus the double gussets ....I truly feel that Old has become New, it is as if these vintage pieces have a soul that the updated versions do not have.

I am also very attracted to the more under the radar pieces like the drag and the plume because I do find them very stylish and although I am not over my Bs and Ks, I do think there is an over saturation of these in the media so much so they are not as understated as I would like them to be. Instead, they've just become brag bags and that sometimes disturbs me.

I like to see Hermes being fashion forward, progressive yet at the same time, keeping their tradition of inspiring confidence in quality and class. In short, l hope Hermes stays relevant with the times whether it is about making Birkins lighter or the Kelly, travel friendly.

Great post Birkel :tup:

thankyou all for responding the idea is to share how we as Hermes costumers and aficionados feel about the Brand and its direction what good notes are rolling out and what other data we can acumulate. i have to say that in my world the entire concept of Hermes is being challenged so i do find myself thinking at times what will proceed in the scheme of the grande dame of FSH.

and i find it so very interesting to see among the comments how many of you great members have joined the vintage side and also have been observing the current situation just as much as i have . best as always and again thankyou all so very much !!!! Birkel

I started with vintage H bags only because they were easier to procure and more in line with my budget. However, as I've grown to love and appreciate the brand more, I find myself drawn to certain styles and leathers which aren't as "popular" or as "modern". For instance, while Clemence is beautiful, my heart skips a beat with anything in box, chamonix, barenia or vache naturelle. While the birkin and the kelly are gorgeous, it's my bolide and my dalvy that are the most cherished bags in my collection. I think it's because of their understated elegance and the fact that they are in the leathers I love the most. In my opinion, H craftsmanship sings in box leather and barenia to me is simply in it's own category.

That doesn't mean that my B and my K aren't treasured, but I admit the attention they draw takes away from my enjoyment. Plus, these 2 bags in my collection are more "modern" leathers and I prefer the traditional H saddle leathers which sadly are very hard to find.

I do love the plume and victoria and some of the newer blue colors (BE, BH etc) but my heart always goes back to the true classics.

its interesting how the craftsmanship is visible in some leathers more tan others shiny croc for example BOX and BARENIA !!!! i find i love the craftsmanship in BOX as you jyyanks im amazed by its beauty in the more modern leathers something happens with fjord it just makes beautiful bags i think its deeper and richer and it all Works.sooo amazing how many of us find ourselves shifting twoards more classic understaed under the radar bags

Well owning the older discontinued bag IS more exclusive because you can't buy them anymore from the boutiques.
Oh how I would adore a red box or chamonix dalvy with white contrast stitching and GHW.....

Vintages are the real treasures and the real finds. The newer styles and the Bs and Ks unfortunately ... Have become rather mass market attempts with a jaw dropping price tag. Unfortunately this model seems to motivate Hermes as their revenues are greater than ever.

Well owning the older discontinued bag IS more exclusive because you can't buy them anymore from the boutiques.
Oh how I would adore a red box or chamonix dalvy with white contrast stitching and GHW.....

This. Rouge H Chamonix or Rouge Vif box are the leathers that sing like no others. I tend to sell off quickly the pieces that don't get used, but not these, including my very, very little used Dalvy.

thankyou all for responding the idea is to share how we as Hermes costumers and aficionados feel about the Brand and its direction what good notes are rolling out and what other data we can acumulate. i have to say that in my world the entire concept of Hermes is being challenged so i do find myself thinking at times what will proceed in the scheme of the grande dame of FSH.

Agreed- I also find myself wondering 'what's next'. The only thing consistent about fashion is that it is fickle & things eventually change.

And I also agree that some of the older, less-known styles are feeling more chic these days. Though I will always love my Birkins I definitely feel like they have gotten too mainstream- I actually look forward to them becoming less of an 'it' bag.