H bags in hotel rooms--safe?

pampered1

Oct 19, 2006
I don't know if anyone else has a problem with this, but when I travel with more than one bag, I'm afraid of leaving an expensive bag in my room. The safe is always too small. It seems like a hassle to lock luggage and anyone can remove those anyway. I've never had a problem in the U.S. but twice I had things taken (by the maids?) in Mexico--an Hermes scarf and New La Perla lingerie. What do you do with your valuables in hotels?

I worry about the same as well. I usually try to hide my purses in the hotel room when I leave. Sometimes I even put the do not disturb sign on in hopes that no one will enter my room when I'm gone. That doesn't always work and any dishonest chambermaid will be able to find the hidden purses if they want to. So, I'm up for some good ideas too.

I haven't had problems in the past (knocking on wood) and travel quite a lot. However, if it is something very meaningful to me I generally won't travel with it. In the hotels, I use the safes - even for prescription medications - and will lock items up in my suitcase if they are larger (for instance, if I've made a purchase and have opted to not ship it home). If it is not seen it is not there to tempt others. Hope you have better luck in the future - I am sure this is a huge disappointment to have items go missing!

I would also use the safe. and if the item is too large, lock the suitcase.
I was surprised the last time I traveled, my 28cm kelly actually fit in the safe very well w/ plenty of room for other things!

I haven't had problems (so far, knock on wood) with the hotels I've been in. I usually travel with at least 2 Hermes bags. If the larger one does not fit into the safe, I keep it in my roll-away bag and just zip it up. (My motto - the safest place is usually the most obvious place!)

When I was in the process of moving to Asia for an assignment, I had about 10 Hermes bags in their boxes inside the hotel closet. Thank goodness nothing happened!

I would lock my nice stuff in my suitcase. I travelled enough before to realized that even if ppl don't steal my stuff they might just play around with your stuff. I don't want anyone touching my birkin and scratch it up.

I lock up my tooth brush too just incase the maids might use it to clean or put it in the toilet bowl if they want to be nasty.

I travel with expensive jewlery and as of lately handbags, so I ask at the front desk for those things to be stored in their safe. Many of the nicer hotels - Ritz, Westin W, etc, have larger safes.

I would lock my nice stuff in my suitcase. I travelled enough before to realized that even if ppl don't steal my stuff they might just play around with your stuff. I don't want anyone touching my birkin and scratch it up.

quote]

Agree. I always store my bags locked ip in my suitcase too. No point risking people fiddling around with it.

I'm over at the Ritz in Naples (finally taking a break for myself) and that was my first thought!!!! TODAY!!! So...I emptied her...put my round head pillow in her to keep her shape and wrapped her in my silk blanket (that I always bring with...only if I drive:smile: LOL! Then threw a few t-shirts & pants bunched up on top of that section...NOTHING too heavy of course:smile: and she was safe hidden under all my clean laudry and wrapped in silk...no problem so far! And of course she didn't fit in the safe!!! :smile:

Me too! i place my hermes bags in my suitcase, where on top, i put junk food plus clothes and lock it. i cannot travel anywhere without my chips and chocolates ready to take and munched! DH said i'm getting fatter but i said i'm getting curvier, lol.

OMG...I have eaten more in the last two days than I have in MONTHS...especially b/c my DH sent my SIL and I away to the RC in Naples on the Club Floor...SO IT's ALL YOU CAN EAT & DRINK! I am going to have to go on a serious health kick by the time I get home!!! LOL~~~

If I'm carrying a Birkin, I make sure to check into a good reputable hotel and use the Do Not Disturb sign if I need to leave the bag in my room when I go out. Otherwise I bring the Birkin out with me all the time.

Seems like a lot of stress if you're on holiday right? I guess only people like us will put up with the unneccesary stress just to enjoy a Birkin whilst overseas!!