H: A bargain?

xiaoxiao

O.G.
May 15, 2008
DS just woke me up and I'm having trouble falling back to sleep. :crybaby: As I have been reading some of the old threads, something came to me and I wonder what you guys think...

With the recent price increase and another one in few months, I wonder if there is such things as a H bargain in full price (not excluding pre-loved and sales item)?

The other day my friend bought a pair of very soft and cuddly boots for $1.5K, which I will totally buy instead of the Fendi one I just bought for $1K. The craftmanship is just not comparison, and H leather is 10000 times softer. Even though it is 50% more than the Fendi boots, I would still consider this a "bargain". :sweatdrop:

I wonder, if you think any of the H items are "bargains", given its durability, quality, practicality and the fact that you love it to death?

Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are!

lilpicotin

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
hi xiaoxiao. i can't sleep either. :s

i was surprised to find, though, that a balenciaga mini coin purse was over $200, while the hermes bastia coin purse was around $180. they're very different styles, and the bal mini coin has a zipper, but still... i guess that would be my "h bargain."

Chill

Apr 19, 2007
Once saw an old lady carry a lovely birkin at a side walk cafe. I think her birkin will be a great bargin if you look at cost per use...

xiaoxiao

O.G.
May 15, 2008
Hi blueg! Hope you can sleep soon!

ITA chill! I just hope my H stuff can outlast me so I can pass it on to my imaginary daughter ha ha!

missbabydolce

H/O Hermes is calling
Jul 16, 2006
Las Colinas (irving), Texas
My bf wanted either the vuitton graphite damier belt or an H belt.

they were both $570 including buckle.!

i thought. [!!!!!]

i got him the H belt.

and he really like curry, so we had to find it.

so we got him,

brushed palladium buckle, BJ togo/Black box & Curry togo/gold box

technically 4 belts for a little over $1k.

galileo

O.G.
Nov 30, 2007
hi xiaoxiao,

if i compare my massai vs prada fairy, where the price difference: 1K+, a prada fairy would not be any "good" next year. my massai would last me forever. that's a bargain.

xiaoxiao

O.G.
May 15, 2008
Hi missbabydolce: WHA? Didn't realize LV belts are so expensive! :tdown: Yeah H is definitely better!!!

And galileo, I didn't even REALIZE how long Massai has been around... Apparently, over few years. THEY STILL LOOK SO GOOD!!! :tup:

kipp

O.G.
May 9, 2008
everywhere!
xiaoxiao and bluegenes, HI!!--- sorry you had trouble sleeping (me too, but I'm in another time zone...)!

Re: H bargains---I think the item that seems truly a " bargain" to me is my zip Globetrotter agenda. I don't know how I lived without it---it has organized my life!! Wallet, calendar, post-it notes, passport, receipts, addresses... I know it is not inexpensive, but in my mind, it is worth every penny---functional and so beautiful!! I LOVE using it every day. There are not too many things I can say the same for.

Graciella

Jul 16, 2006
somewhere
I've recently given this a lot of thought (mainly because I was critisized for my excessive shopping), and I think there is a major difference between 'a lot of money' and 'expensive', i.e. something can cost a lot of money, like H, but doesn't neccessarily have to be expensive because of the quality. $8000 is a lot of money, but spending it on a birkin makes sense if the quality means you can carry it your whole life, making it relatively inexpensive (it makes more sense to me than doshing out $2000 on a vuitton that'll last you 5 years, or buying 15 t-shirts at Gap instead of one quality cashmere jumper). So, I think H are bargains (not that I can afford any H bag at the moment, but hey, a girl can dream right?)

MissMargaux

TooMuchTrouble
O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
on a dance floor
Hi,

If I look at a Birkin or a Kelly and compare it to another high end bag, I'd say the H bag is the better buy. I don't know if I'd call any bag in the higher price range a bargain, but I'd say the H label is a better buy. Reason because it will be in fashion longer, some of those bags are "in today" "out tomorrow" and at $2500+ a pop after 3 or 4 you can have a birken. That's how I got started.

Scarves, no one IMO does a scarf as wel as H. The colors, the designs. I remember years ago, I went shopping, I saw a beautiful H scarf in red, must have been their chinese period, anyway, I bought a cheaper scarf, cheaper meaning about $100 less, went home, hubby said, but it's not H, why didn't you buy an H? I said well I didn't want to splurge, he said, take it back and get the H, splurge. He loves H scarves for me. He thinks H scarves are the best and the nicest. Do I think they are bargains, no but I do think they give the best value for their money.

Not to mention, if anyone ever wanted to resell a Birkin, the resale value is probably higher than any other bag out there. So yes, I do think that certain H products are worth the money.

I think if you like it, want it, (need is irrlevent) and can afford it, it's worth the money if it makes you happy.

Haute Couturess

Black CDC Kelly pls!
O.G.
Feb 26, 2007
The only "bargain" I can think of was my half price Birkin but it's well loved and won't ever be "like new" again. Still, at 4.5k that can't be a true bargain. That's half of an economy car (I think...) My H belt collection is definitely NOT a bargain. $2,6000 for a croc belt times three, plus three other regular leather constances at 500 a pop? Jeez, my heart sinks at the numbers but I do love them all. Oh well.

xiaoxiao

O.G.
May 15, 2008
I've recently given this a lot of thought (mainly because I was critisized for my excessive shopping), and I think there is a major difference between 'a lot of money' and 'expensive', i.e. something can cost a lot of money, like H, but doesn't neccessarily have to be expensive because of the quality. $8000 is a lot of money, but spending it on a birkin makes sense if the quality means you can carry it your whole life, making it relatively inexpensive (it makes more sense to me than doshing out $2000 on a vuitton that'll last you 5 years, or buying 15 t-shirts at Gap instead of one quality cashmere jumper). So, I think H are bargains (not that I can afford any H bag at the moment, but hey, a girl can dream right?)

I think this is very true: Expensive vs. a lot of money.

Using the prada fairy example: I think it is VERY expensive, vs. a Massai is a lot of money. Still, I would never buy the fairy bag, but I know I had been contemplating a Massai (I didn't want a shoulder bag, otherwise I would have gotten her already!). I think H, although A LOT OF MONEY, is not as expensive as other brands are. With the exceptional of LV luggage, apple to apple, I think LV luggage is A LOT OF MONEY, but H luggage is VERY VERY expensive!

Nola

Enjoy yourself!
O.G.
Jul 31, 2006
Europe
Let´s face it none of H is a bargain but if you use the item for years and years it becomes very much worth it. I think H silk scarves are "bargains" in a sense that it looks fantastic after 10 years and you can still sell it for profit if selling is your thing.

cvw1004

O.G.
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I think if it makes you happy then it is definately a bargain, especially if it continues to do so. Everytime I wear one of my scarves, I get a little rush of joy, which IMHO shouldn't be dismissed lightly. When I use my bag, I feel all warm inside KWIM? For me, happiness has no price.

Also, if you have that money burning a hole in your pocket, you will only spend it on other stuff, so might as well be H (OK for 'you' read 'I' :roflmfao:). Did someone say addicted?? :graucho: