Guys carrying "bags'' in US are associated with "gays"? True

I found it interesting that people in the US always associate guys who carry bags such as messenger, or tote/ duffle bags as gays. they always say " is that your man's purse".

I azctually live in a small town in the U.S and I like designer stuffs indeed. I just don't feel confident sometimes carrying a bag when outing, knowing that people would call me "gay" even I do carry a regular messenger bag...

WHt u guys think?...is it like that in the U.S?

it certainly depends on where you live. in nyc, no one would look twice at a guy carrying a murse. almost all the men i see are utilizing a bag of some type whether it is a jack spade messenger bag or even a birkin. some are gay and there are many who aren't.

in more rural areas, as you're experiencing, people are more apt to give men a harder time for carrying a bag because it goes against the grain of what's "expected" of a man. it's all just superficial silliness, general narrow mindedness, and lack of exposure to men who carry a bag like it's no big deal. i mean, would a woman be considered "butch" or have her sexual orientation questioned if she didn't carry a purse? i'd doubt it.

you should do what makes you happy and let the haters hate. they'll do it anyway with or without provocation. at least you'll look good.:smile:

hm, I dont think it would be considered "gay" for a guy to wear a messanger bag, or a duffle type bag. Guys wear them at school with books in them...I really wouldnt think it would be "gay" for a guy to carry any bag, I mean if it was a purse, I would honestly think that they are actuily gay, which I dont have any problem with, haha and if it was a cute bag then I'd be like hey I like your bag =]

I believe that not only for carrying a messenger bag someone is gay. I wear a lot some kind of messenger bag and where I live lot of men do and we're not gay because of that, there's another things that may give a clear idea that he is or not. For example the way he talks or the way he shake the hands or something like that.... but what's the matter about that?

Messenger bags are cool, and the most important to me, they're very comfortable and extremely useful.

Gay or straight, messenger bags are an excellent tool for us.

A lot of men (including my husband) carry bags around here. In fact, most of the guys I work with have some kind of bag that's not a briefcase, whether a messenger or pouch or backpack.

I'm a guy and carry a LV Utah messenger bag to and from the office, traveling(vacationing) and going to seminars. I also wear a gucci fanny pack whenever we go somewhere (theme parks, mall, hiking, etc) so that I don't have to give my wife all my stuff! I would love to get a LV Brooklyn PM as well which can be worn on one shoulder like a purse or cross the body like a messenger. I dont think a guy is gay just because he has a bag because I'm very far from gay!

Also I have a funny purse story relating to this topic. I often carry my wifes bag because it gets heavy (she likes large bags) or she has to carry our child. Im totally comfortable with this. Well the two of us were out shopping. She went into the dressing room to try a few things on and asked me to hold her bag. She was carrying her Jimmy Choo large white Saba. I put it over my shoulder (I find it's a very comforable bag to carry- It just feels good to carry) and began walking around the store just browsing. Like I said I'm so use to carrying a bag for her that it didnt even cross my mind that I was a guy in the mens section looking at clothes carrying a JC Saba. I had two compliments on "my bag". The first was a middle aged women who said something like "thats a nice bag...what is it? . I explained it was my wifes right away. About 10 minutes later I was back close to the juniors section where my wife was in the dressing room. Another women that was in her early thirties came up to me and said "Wow I love your Saba". we began talking about Jimmy Choo bags. I told her I have a Mahala and Ramona as well as several other bags (I didnt tell her that any of them were my wifes). We talked only a couple of minutes. When we parted she said that is really cool you know so much about bags and have such great style....wanna get married (jokingly). I told her I was married and she snaped her fingers and said darn! I thought it was pretty funny since she totally thought the bag was mine and she thought it was just so cool.

Attachments

• 28566G_FTARG_9699_zoom.jpg
    28566G_FTARG_9699_zoom.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • lv_damier-ebene-brooklyn-pm.jpg
    lv_damier-ebene-brooklyn-pm.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,269
Last edited:
I've come across this attitude here in Ireland and it's parochial and repellent. My son was afraid to take tennis lessons or learn to play piano, because the other boys thought those things were 'gay'. In certain 'macho' localities, various behaviours are frowned on. So the kids I'm thinking of would no doubt have laughed at a guy carrying a bag. A lot of these of these guys would find themselves near the bottom rung socially/academically. They would be intolerant of a whole host of behaviours and not just bags. When I bought my son a Prada backpack on his birthday, the same guys sneered. But the last laugh was on them because they are now all in dead-end jobs and my son is at college. Wear whatever bag you wish with pride!

hm, I dont think it would be considered "gay" for a guy to wear a messanger bag, or a duffle type bag. Guys wear them at school with books in them...I really wouldnt think it would be "gay" for a guy to carry any bag, I mean if it was a purse, I would honestly think that they are actuily gay, which I dont have any problem with, haha and if it was a cute bag then I'd be like hey I like your bag =]

Exactly what I would have said.