Guinea pig foot irritation

Lady Stardust

Je m'en foutiste
O.G.
Nov 28, 2009
My guinea pig Juliet has some kind of irritation/rash/scabbing on her back feet I noticed today when I took her out to let her run around and we're going to take her to the vet but in the meantime is there anything I can put on her feet? I washed her feet and put some Neosporin just so that she's got something on there moisturizing but I hope that works. I read that there's some ointment just for guinea pigs too? It doesn't seem to be bothering her, only when I put the lotion on she flinched but other than that she seems fine. I just want to keep it from getting worse before she goes to the vet

What kind of bedding does she have? It could be irritating her feet for some reason. If its more than one foot then that sounds like whatever she is walking on is bothering her feet. If it were only one foot it could just be a small injury of some kind. Keep us updated.

^She's got newspaper and the soft bedding stuff but I think part of it is also because she sits in her poop, like she just has this one corner that she likes and she always sits there. They look a little better today

I have a 7 year old female piggie that this happens to once a year or so, I have found that filling the bath tub about 2 to 3 inches and a 1/4 cup of salt. I let her play in the warm water for for about 5 minutes {she swims around and loves it}. After I let her lay on my shoulder until she is dry, then let her lay on a heating pad on low with a towel doubled up on it for about 5 to 10 minutes, she seems to feel better after that. It helps bring down the swelling, and such.
Good Luck!!!

She may be doing it to cool off, try a tiny fan, or inside for a while when it is warm, mine used to do the same thing, until we fixed a tiny fan on the side of her enclosure. Just be sure it is run by batteries, as they can chew on a cord.

^She's got newspaper and the soft bedding stuff but I think part of it is also because she sits in her poop, like she just has this one corner that she likes and she always sits there. They look a little better today

I have a 7 year old female piggie that this happens to once a year or so, I have found that filling the bath tub about 2 to 3 inches and a 1/4 cup of salt. I let her play in the warm water for for about 5 minutes {she swims around and loves it}. After I let her lay on my shoulder until she is dry, then let her lay on a heating pad on low with a towel doubled up on it for about 5 to 10 minutes, she seems to feel better after that. It helps bring down the swelling, and such.
Good Luck!!!
Thank you so much! I'm going to try this

aww how sweet. You may have to end up cleaning up the area she pees in every day if she continues to sit in it. That would help the foot issue resolve. Maybe buy a scopper and scoop up the bedding and add some fresh to that area each night

^ Thanks for the tip :smile: I've been trying to keep her cage really clean so it doesn't bother her feet anymore. It definitely seems less cracked than before and the redness is going down