'Guilty' Pleasures? 14 Shows We're Not Ashamed to Love

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
No embarrassment here. Sometimes, fluff like ''Rock of Love,'' ''The Bachelor,'' and ''Moonlight'' is exactly what the television doctor ordered...

(EW.com)

MOONLIGHT
Stalwart PopWatch doyenne Mandi Bierly had this to say about Moonlight back in January: ''I haven't always watched Moonlight. I intended to when it premiered last fall, but by the time I got around to it, the handful of people I knew tuning in had stopped. Then I spent a few Friday nights at home, and was too lazy to turn the channel after watching David Conrad on Ghost Whisperer, so I finally saw it. Yes, I wish Moonlight (starring Alex O'Loughlin, pictured left, with Jason Dohring) was as well written as Buffy and Angel, but who isn't fascinated by the idea of a vamp becoming human?'' With Moonlight returning, here are some more EW staff revelations: the shows we're not ashamed to love.

ROCK OF LOVE
On its surface, VH1's dating show with Poison frontman Bret Michaels may appear to focus more on body shots and catfights than love, but when you get down to it, the show's got plenty of heart (see: Michaels' recent bonding with a contestant's terminally ill father). And though it's difficult to say this about most reality dating show stars — hello, Flavor Flav and all of ABC's bachelors — Michaels' affable charm and surprisingly well-honed wit makes it easy to understand why women would actually want to date him.

NEW AMSTERDAM
The more I think about this immortal-cop show, the more I realize it's a brazen, unapologetic Highlander rip-off. To wit: Dude living in New York City can't die and, as he wrestles with current problems, we flashback to salient parts of his life, complete with not entirely convincing re-creations of the past. Oh, and the immortal dude is played by a European of questionable provenance. It's a good thing, then, that I loves me some Highlander. And it doesn't hurt that his partner, Zuleikha Robinson, is drop-dead gorgeous. Now, if only Queen did the music...

PSYCH
Pop culture references that could make a Gilmore girl smile, a running joke about pineapples (I still don't get it), and James Roday, who is h-a-w-t...honestly, what's not to love? Sure, the ''fake psychic'' premise is completely silly, but I just can't get enough of the Roday/Dulé Hill dynamic duo. Slightly obnoxious and endlessly funny, they remind me of a few guys I knew in college. I've been known to stay home on Friday nights just to catch the latest episode. Don't judge me.

THE BACHELOR
As far as dating shows go, ABC's isn't entirely evil: There's usually at least one woman who appears to be sane. It is for her sake that we sit through the embarrassing first-impression antics (singing! poetry reading! biting a can in two!), the dates that assume every woman wants to be a princess, and the repetitive, unfulfilled promise of ''the most dramatic rose ceremony ever.'' We all want to witness a genuine ''connection'' (even though that word is almost as overused as ''journey''). Getting to see an ambulance summoned at least once a season is just a bonus.

Attachments

• Moonlight.jpg
    Moonlight.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Rock Of Love.jpg
    Rock Of Love.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 37
  • New Amsterdam.jpg
    New Amsterdam.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Psych.jpg
    Psych.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 34
  • The Bachelor.jpg
    The Bachelor.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 37
THE BIG BANG THEORY
Calling all Beauty & the Geek fans! It may not be the most popular (or funny) comedy on Monday nights, but who can resist a show about a group of nerdy science guys hilariously pining for their hot neighbor? Not me.

BIG BROTHER
I marvel at the loud, absurd, and brainless behavior that goes on with the hyperhorny housebound morons and think about how fortunate I am to not be exposed to any of them in real life. It's like going to the zoo and watching killer apes hump each other while you're safely behind glass.

HANNAH MONTANA
I'm definitely too old to be addicted to a Disney show but this one is too good to call a ''guilty'' pleasure. Miley Cyrus and dad Billy Ray prove they can do more than just croon; they're pure comedic gold.

DINERS, DRIVE-INS AND DIVES
I am on a diet. Have been for longer than I'd like...apparently, my fat is unwilling to let me go, I'm just that friggin' adorable. But rather than cheat on said unholy diet, I just tune into the Food Network, and watch spiky-haired ''food personality'' Guy Fieri travel from state to state, from hole-in-the-wall diner to greasy-spoon barbecue emporium, showing me food that I positively can't ever eat again. There was an episode called ''Totally Fried.'' Seriously. And another one where some dude made burgers stuffed with bacon and cheese. Stuffed. It's an evil, evil show. And I drool my way through every damned episode.

Attachments

• Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives.jpg
    Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 40
  • Hannah Montana.jpg
    Hannah Montana.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Big Brother.jpg
    Big Brother.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 45
  • The Big Bang Theory.jpg
    The Big Bang Theory.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 40
ONE TREE HILL
While most are enthralled with the CW's Gossip Girl, I prefer my teen soaps with characters I can actually relate to. You know, small town college grads with book deals, record labels, and fashion lines. At least they have dreams.

GOSSIP GIRL
Sex, drugs, and designer duds. If only our pubescent years were so glamorous. Spending a frothy hour with glam Upper East Side frenemies Serena (Blake Lively) and Blair (Leighton Meester) almost makes us forget that devastating chess club defeat sophomore year. Almost. XOXO.

BEAUTY & THE GEEK
Many claim that Ashton Kutcher's ''social experiment'' isn't as endearing as it used to be but I've never wavered in my love of watching the ''beauties'' and the ''geeks'' hilariously and sweetly interact with and learn to accept one another.

A SHOT AT LOVE WITH TILA TEQUILA I don't know what hooked me at first, Tila buying into the idea that the contestants were actually there for her (and not for a quick shot of ill-considered Z-list fame) or the fact that some of the contestants even began believing it for themselves. Seeing the surprisingly touching backstories of the cookie-cutter ''slutty'' contestants (Amanda's refreshingly diverse family, Dani's sweetly protective co-workers) managed, for a brief moment, to turn VH1's standard reality pap into something strangely, undeniably touching. That, and watching the straight guys come to grips with hot girls who didn't want them, while squirm-inducing, was actually refreshing — if über-macho, mildly homophobic straight dudes can eventually learn acceptance (albeit a few wrestling-in-a-pool-filled-with-pudding episodes later), maybe humanity isn't so screwed after all. Oh, and Dani's grandma accepting a lap dance from Tila may have been the highlight of my year.

''GHOST WHISPERER''
It turns out that a show about a woman (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who helps ghosts cross over is as corny as it sounds. And while not as smart as Medium, it's innocent fun that may feature the only solid marriage on television.

Attachments

• One Tree Hill.jpg
    One Tree Hill.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Gossip Girl.jpg
    Gossip Girl.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Beauty & The Geek.jpg
    Beauty & The Geek.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 37
  • A Shot Of Love With Tila Tequila.jpg
    A Shot Of Love With Tila Tequila.jpg