Guide to New York/Hermes trip

amkur

H.O.P Mommy
O.G.
Mar 11, 2006
Taking a cue from PazT and her future trip to Paris, I am taking a trip to New York and the Flagship store in less than 2 weeks. In order to properly prepare for my trip, any advice from those in the know would be much appreciated!

What is the weather like in NYC in January?
Will Clemence hold up in the rain or snow?
Any recommendations for restaurants/cafes?
What are the best times to go to the Flagship store? I'm planning to go on a Thursday or Friday...
Best clothes and/or shoe shopping? What about sample sales?

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :flowers:

Taking a cue from PazT and her future trip to Paris, I am taking a trip to New York and the Flagship store in less than 2 weeks. In order to properly prepare for my trip, any advice from those in the know would be much appreciated!

OY! You will get such a download of info!!

It could be anything from sunny and in the 50s to snowy and cold. I'd prepare for cold --

YES! I think Clemence and Togo will hold up in just abo

There is another thread about a tPF spring get-together in NY with restaurants. I'll see if I can find it. One of my favorite places is La Goulue on Madison - not too far from the H Store.

What are the best times to go to the Flagship store? I'm planning to go on a Thursday or Friday...
HG and Baggaholic probably have the best info here....

Barneys, Bergdorfs, Saks, any of the boutiques on Madison
Sample sales...hmmm... I'll have to get you the e-mail for the bulletin board for the sample sales.

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :flowers:

do you subscribe? i've only been to one sample sale, petite batou, and i heard about it from TopButton. got 2 coats for $25 each.

I do subscribe. I usually go to the Zanella sale and I can only find out about it from TopButton. I get $700 jackets for $150 -- and sometimes $75. I've also been to the Carolina Herrera sample sale through TB. They give you about a week's heads' up, which is great if you don't live in NYC!

hi, amkur! here's some nyc info/suggestions...

it is usually cold. could be snowing.
you'll need a warm coat, scarf, gloves and boots,
especially if you plan to walk around the city.
absolutely!

^^I anticipated the cold and I just bought 2 pairs of longjohns, now I need a good pair of flat leather boots for all the walking. I may just buy the boots in NYC. Glad to know Clemence will hold up :yahoo: I'll have to check out the NYC tPF meet thread for the restaurant and cafe recs.

welcome!:nuts:

-agree with the previous posts-i'd bring a coat for sure. bring tshirts and sweaters so that you can layer according to the weather. You'll need comfortable yet stylish shoes to fully enjoy a shopping trip, too :P

upper east is the home of countless nice restaurants. Go to www.menupages.com to sort by location and cuisine. Their reviews and rankings are quite good IMO. you can also make reservation online for many restaurants on www.opentable.com

I like Barneys New York (on 60th and madison ave, two blocks away from the Hermes flagship store), and Bergdorf Goodman (57th and 5th, another 2 or 3 blocks away from Barneys). I found Barneys a little more adventurous when it comes to style and they have a great jeans collection upstairs. But Bergdorf just has an amazingly large collection of designer clothing. It's just a little more "old money" than Barneys IMHO.

i usually post on the lv board but there are tons of great restaurant in nyc. some of my faves are:

citrus on the upper west side- 75th and amsterdam. latin/asian fusion and so good!

artisinal- 33rd and park i think. from the people who own balthazaar. just yummy. the steak frites are awesome and the fondue is delish. it's well known for it's cheeses.

I really like Maroons which is jamaican soul food. 17th i think between 7th and 8th. the last time was not as good as usual but in general they're great.

and if you want to go super fance- there is nothing like le cirque 2000. i think that's the new name. just divine and nothing like the service there

a good website for restaurants is NYC Restaurants, NYC menus, ratings, reviews, New York City Restaurants Guide check it out

hi, amkur! here's some nyc info/suggestions...

sorry, amkur...my computer crashed as i was posting #9, above...
here is the the info:

it is usually cold. could be snowing.
you'll need a warm coat, scarf, gloves and boots,
especially if you plan to walk around the city.
absolutely!
Best time to visit Hermes?
HG and Baggaholic are the real experts here.
I personally like to go early in the morning, before it gets crowded.
*Dylan's candy store @ 60th street and 3rd avenue
*Any restaurant and/or cafe in the Time Warner Building
*The Spotted Pig, on Greenwich Street, in Greenwich Village
Shopping? Shoes?
*Jeffrey's for shoes on 14th street, in the meatpacking distirct
*Calypso, on Madison Avenue and in Soho and in the meatpacking district
*Madison Avenue boutiques
*Century 21, across from the WTC site, for everything

travel safely and happy H and (everywhere) shopping! :yahoo: