guide to Hermes/Paris trip?

Must see depending on how long you're going to be there: Versailles (short day trip) The best example of French decendance and French monarchy indulgence right before the eve of the French Revolution! Also, Pazt, if you're looking for a great guide to help you w/ ur stay there, I TOTALLY recommend Frommers PARIS. Hands down the best guide publication out there IMO. I've used them for all my trips around the world and would never leave home w/o it!! I'm going to buy a new edition for this trip and you can borrow it when I'm done!!! PBC borrowed my Eastern European Frommers books and loved them too!!!!

I was just in Paris last week and found Versailles very disappointing. The hall of mirrors is being renovated, so its mostly closed off. The fountains weren't on and most of the statutes were covered in green plastic. I just don't think its the best time of the year to go there.

I would recommend getting a Paris museum pass - you skip the aweful lines. I would also recommend the Rodin Museum and of course the Musee D'Orsay.

We stayed at the Westin, it was a great location, walking distance to the Louvre.

I was just in Paris last week and found Versailles very disappointing. The hall of mirrors is being renovated, so its mostly closed off. The fountains weren't on and most of the statutes were covered in green plastic. I just don't think its the best time of the year to go there.

I would recommend getting a Paris museum pass - you skip the aweful lines. I would also recommend the Rodin Museum and of course the Musee D'Orsay.

We stayed at the Westin, it was a great location, walking distance to the Louvre.

I agree...I was somewhat underwhelmed by Versailles (very, very crowded...tour buses upon tour buses upon tour buses...could hardly hear the guide and the interior rooms were just jammed)...

I loved the Musee D'Orsay and was very happy to have made arrangements for a Louvre pass before going to Paris (saved much time in lines)...

Looking forward to a return trip next summer with H-related strategies in mind...

thanks everyone! any information/tips pertaining to H shopping will be accepted - i can't stop thinking about it. i need to stop working and get online to book our tickets!

dear perja, whenever you've settled in and recuperated - pls share paris trip guide from the eyes of a locale! thanks i advance! i bet you had fun!

I think I posted this really very useful article on Sofia Coppola's Paris - from T Style Magazine in the NYTimes. Coppola has the *best* taste, and I agree with about 98% of her recommendations. Knock yourselves out!

Sofia Coppola's Paris
By LYNN HIRSCHBERG
Published: September 24, 2006
"This city can change your mood completely," said the director Sofia Coppola as we walked down Rue Madame in the Sixth Arrondissement of Paris. During the filming of "Marie Antoinette," which will arrive in theaters on Oct. 20, she lived in a rented apartment on the Boulevard Saint-Germain, two doors from the famous Café de Flore. "We would have production meetings there," said Sofia, who was wearing jeans, a navy V-neck sweater and ballet flats. "I've always loved this part of Paris. My parents have an apartment close by. Even though my family is Italian, we came here a lot when I was really little. And then I came to Paris as a teenager: I spent two summers interning at Chanel. You naturally feel a connection to certain places, and, for me, Paris is one of them. I would look at my parents' French friends and think, That's what you're supposed to be like when you grow up."
http://forum.purseblog.com/ <h2> Sofia's Paris </h2>

Sofia stopped at Odorantes, a tiny flower shop that specializes in bouquets that are organized by scent rather than by color. Bouquets in Paris, unlike floral arrangements in America, usually consist of one flower or one hue. "I found this shop by wandering through the neighborhood," she said, while waiting outside for the flowers to be arranged. "When I shop, it's not so much about buying. Whether you get something or not, when you go in a store, you see what Paris is like."
For a few days last May, I accompanied Sofia through several Paris neighborhoods: the Marais, the Rue du Faubourg St.-Honor&#233;, the Palais Royale. We visited the restored Muse&#233; de l'Orangerie to see the Monet waterlilies in their original home, and we gazed into the Seine from the Pont Neuf, but, mostly, we shopped as if we were engaged in a kind of sociological study of French customs and style.
Near the Place Vend&#244;me, Sofia stopped at the custom shirtmaker Charvet, where she was having some of her mother's Yves St. Laurent shirts from the 1970's recreated as silk dresses. We went to the luggage store Goyard and admired the classic trunks that once belonged to the Duchess of Windsor. At Dary's, a jewelry shop that specializes in antique pieces, Sofia tried on an aquamarine ring from the 20's, and at Herm&#232;s, we watched the other customers in the large, crowded store compete for the privilege of buying their coveted handbags. At Benneton Graveur, she studied the engraved stationery, particularly a notecard topped by a French and an American flag...

SOFIA'S ADDRESS BOOK
Shops
Azzedine Ala&#239;a Boutique and shoe store. 4 Rue de Moussy; 011-33-1-42-72-19-19.
Benneton Graveur Stationery. 75 Boulevard Malesherbes; 011-33-1-43-87-57-39.
Bois de Rose Classic smock dresses for girls. 30 Rue Dauphine; 011-33-1-40-46-04-24.
Bonpoint Children's clothes. 320 Rue St.-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-49-27-94-82. Go to www.bonpoint.com for more locations.
Galerie 213 Sofia especially likes the photo books. 58 Rue Charlot; 011-33-1-43-22-83-23.
Charvet Custom shirts and more. 28 Place Vend&#244;me; 011-33-1-42-60-30-70.
Clignancourt Flea Market Sofia shops here for furniture. Porte de Clignancourt (Sat.-Mon.).
Dary's Antique jewelry. 362 rue St.-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-42-60-95-23.
Deyrolle Taxidermy in a beautiful space. 46 Rue du Bac; 011-33-1-42-22-30-07.
Didier Ludot Vintage couture. 20-24 Galerie de Montpensier; 011-33-1-42-96-06-56.
Pharmacie Homeopatique Weber For beauty products not available at home. 8 Rue de Capucines; 011-33-1-42-61-03-07.
Free "P" Star Vintage clothing. 8 Rue Ste.-Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie; 011-33-1-42-76-03-72.
Goyard Classic luggage. 233 Rue St.-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-42-60-57-04.
Herm&#232;s Sofia shops here for notebooks and bags. 24 Faubourg St-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-40-17-47-17.
J&#246;elle Ciocco Skin care. 8 Place de la Madeleine; 011-33-1-42-60-58-80.
K. Jacques Leather sandals. 16 Rue Pavee; 011-33-1-40-27-03-57.
Lanvin Albert Elbaz's take on French tradition. 22 Rue du Faubourg St.-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-44-71-31-73.
Les Archives De La Presse Vintage magazines. 15 Rue des Archives; 011-33-1-42-72-63-93.
Marc Jacobs Palais Royal, 34 Rue de Montpensier; 011-33-1-55-35-02-60.
Odorantes Flowers. 9 Rue Madame; 011-33-1-42-84-03-00.
Pierre Hardy One-of-a-kind shoes. Jardins du Palais Royal, 156 Galerie de Valois; 011-33-1-42-60-59-75.
Sabbia Rosa Lingerie. 73 Rue des Sts.-P&#232;res; 011-33-1-45-48-88-37.
Serge Lutens Perfume. Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido, Jardins du Palais Royal, 142 Galerie de Valois; 011-33-1-49-27-09-09.
Restaurants and Bars
Caf&#233; de Flore Centuries-old artiste hangout. 172 Boulevard Saint-Germain; 011-33-1-45-48-55-26.
Le Castiglione Known for its cheeseburgers. 235 Rue St.-Honor&#233;; 011-33-1-42-60-68-22.
Chez Allard Famed old bistro noted for poulet de bresse. 41 Rue St.-Andr&#233; des Arts; 011-33-1-43-26-48-23.
Chez Omar Excellent couscous, exceptionally popular. 47 Rue de Bretagne; 011-33-1-42-72-36-26.
Gerard Mulot Pastries and chocolate. 76 Rue de Seine; 011-33-1-43-26-85-77.
Bar Hemingway Classic bar with great cocktails. Hotel Ritz Paris; 15 Place Vend&#244;me; 011-33-1-43-16-33-65.
Ladur&#233;e Historic tea salon beloved for its macaroons. 16 Rue Royale; 011-33-1-42-60-21-79. Go to www.laduree.fr for more locations.
Le Voltaire Chic bistro on the river. 27 Quai Voltaire; 011-33-1-42-61-17-49.
Mathis Supertrendy bar. 33 Rue de Ponthieu; 011-33-1-53-76-39-55.

Related Articles

Thanks PATZ for starting this thread b/c Hubby just okayed a trip for us, too, in April or MAY!! :yahoo:

Yippee, and Parents are taking care of the kids. All this info is "PRICELESS" as per "Shopmom".

I need to save this Tread somewhere.:heart:

Well I went there about 4 yrs ago and it was in May. So perhaps it was the season. It was a beautiful day, it wasnt' too crowded and the surrounding parks areas were just beautiful. They had just planted an array of flowers all along the grounds and garden areas and even actually had the fountains on, w/ classical music playing throughout the grounds. There were a lot of people, yes..but what do you expect out of a huge tourist attraction that was once the symbol of the French Monarchy. Maybe I was just lucky. Pazt, we plan on going to Fontainebleau when we go to Paris in 2 weeks so i'll let you know how that is. It's Napoleon's favorite residence where he resided during most of his reign.

OMG! i'm so overwhelmed with everything - thanks everyone for posting tips! and thanks to shopmom and gina-b for all the useful info and found missing threads!

gina, i got your PM and thank you so much!

Well I went there about 4 yrs ago and it was in May. So perhaps it was the season. It was a beautiful day, it wasnt' too crowded and the surrounding parks areas were just beautiful. They had just planted an array of flowers all along the grounds and garden areas and even actually had the fountains on, w/ classical music playing throughout the grounds. There were a lot of people, yes..but what do you expect out of a huge tourist attraction that was once the symbol of the French Monarchy. Maybe I was just lucky. Pazt, we plan on going to Fontainebleau when we go to Paris in 2 weeks so i'll let you know how that is. It's Napoleon's favorite residence where he resided during most of his reign.

moviegirl, yeah - we have to meet up as soon as you get back! are you able to give us PARIS live updates, a la gina, while you're there?

hermeslover - how lovely! this forum has inspired me in so many ways and DH doesn't seem to mind at all! i'm afraid he has some ulterior motives - like making a detour and end up in italian or german car factory for a european car delivery! yikes! :wtf: :wtf:

^^^Patz- FUNNY! about the german car factory.

My hubby doesn't mind that much either about influences here,
though he is on a guys trip for a week right now, and HE FOUND ME THIS FORUM. He called home and he told me he was asking around for Hermes, but no one knew what he was talking about.:nuts:

Hello ladies! I see recommendations on hotels and shops but no restaurants?? Paris is one of my favourite cities, I go often so I'm quite familiar with it. Here is my list of to dos:

Hotels - definitely Four Season George V (near Champs Elysee) or Park Hyatt (this one is newer, on rue de la Paix, more modern and right next to Place Vendome and Opera).

Shopping - The key places I'd go to is of course
- Rue Faubourg St Honore and Rue St Honore (all the big brands plus Collette)
- Avenue Montaign
- Rue de Servre, rue de Grenelle (in St Germain) and around the area.
Now don't forget the 2 key department stores:
- Printemps
- Gallerie Lafayette.
These two stores are on the same street, each divided into two department stores, one for household/menswear and another ladies so make sure you go into the right one. If you ask your hotel, they should have a map which holds a 10% discount coupon (you should try to get both department store's discount card). When you shop, not only will you enjoy this 10% off, on top you will also get your tax refund (which is around 12% - I believe)! This rule applies even during the sale period... so there are some real bargains out there! :yahoo: However some exclusive brands may be excluded from the 10% discount offer like Chanel and Gucci but most comply. Inside these stores you will pretty much find all the brands like Chanel, Chloe, JPG, Galliano, Lanvin, Comme Des Garcon, Nina Ricci, Alia, Jitrois, Misonni ect (Gallerie) and at Printemps, Dolce & Gabanna, Helmet Lang, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Kenzo, Chanel, YSL, Gucci, Celine, etc. Am sure you get the picture. ;)

Food and Restaurants - this section deserves another thread!
For the gourmet you must try (at least one of the following):
- Pierre Gagnaire, rue Balzac
- Le Pre Catelan, Bois de Boulogne
- La Table de Joel Robouchon, Avenue Bugeaud
- Alain Ducasse, Plaza Athenee
- L'Arpege, rue de Varenne
You need to pretty much book months in advance for these top restaurants... in terms of prices, they are expensive. I think most of them have websites so you can check them out.
Less prestigious restaurants:
- George
- L'Avenue
- Cafe Costes (in the hotel Costes)
- L'Espinard
All the above are pretty much the trendy chain restaurants owned by the Costes groups so the food taste pretty much the same (so so). Do try George as it is at the top of Pompidou Center and you get a nice view of Paris.
- Kong - this is a joint venture between Kenzo and Vong (which you have in NY). Funky design and make sure you book the upper floor.
- Cristal Room Baccarat, place des Etats-Unis where you can see the beautiful baccarat chandeliers (owned by Baccarat).
- Maison Blance, Avenue Montaign, good food and nice if you can dine alfresco.
- Le Train Blue, Gare de Lyon, a must see! Located in the train station because this is where people use to wait for their trains! The decor is very baroque.. it's under conservation so it's pretty much like eating in a museum! Food is also OK.
- Brasserie Flo, cour des Petites Ecuries - for their seafood platters but it's located in some dodgy area in Paris! Don't bring your Hermes bags thats for sure!
- The Market, avenue Matignon, good food and quite trendy.
- Brasserie Lipp, St Germain des Press, basic food but it's good especially their roast chicken.

Tea houses you should visit:
- Angelina - thick hot chocolate across from the Lourve
- Mariage Freres - a fabulous tea house in Marais (Jewish quarter), has a lot of history and sells the most amazing teas.
- Cafe de Flore, St Germains des Pres where you can people watch and of course this is where all the big writers/artists use to hang out.
Others:
- L'As du Falafel - they serve the best Falafels located in the Jewish quarter, no reservations.

OK enough from me for now... if I think of anything else for sure I will post it!

Bon voyage! Hope you have a great time in Paris! :yahoo: