Guccissima Chocolate Tote: Saks vs. Gucci pricing

Clake76

Young Broke and Fab
Dec 10, 2006
Oakland, CA
So I have gotten numerous gift cards this year to Saks and was excited to go and purchase the chocolate Guccissima tote:

http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/us/spring-summer-09/luggage/#0-850383-201482BEG1G2145

It currently is retailing on Gucci.com and in the Gucci stores for $US798, plus tax. However, when I went to Saks and inquired about the bag, they informed me that they have it in stock for $US1098 - approximately 37% more than Gucci is retailing its own bag!!:tdown:

Do you think this is a mistake on Saks part? Honestly, a $300 markup seems a bit ridiculous especially since you can literally walk 2 minutes to the Gucci store in SF from the Men's store. Have any of you experienced this situation prior with the Gucci store having the lower retail price than another retailer?

Do you think there could be a way to inform Saks that the same big is retailing for less? You think they would match the price? The ONLY reason I am being such a dunce over all of this is because I can use my gift cards at Saks which makes the bag free versus me paying for for it out of pocket at Gucci.:sad:

Thanks!

smalls

O.G.
Mar 15, 2007
Dallas, TX
That doesn't seem right? The retail should be the same or close to the same I would think. The guccissima duffel and breifcase are the same price on gucci.com and saks.com. Are you positive it's the same bag? The one in the link says it's medium. Is there a large tote as well?

Clake76

Young Broke and Fab
Dec 10, 2006
Oakland, CA
^^ Hmmm....i never considered if there could be another model (aka the large) that Gucci produced. However, they never displayed a small or a large version on the web site the SAs never mentioned that there was another size to the tote when I went to the store.

I didn't seem to notice any difference in the two bags, but I could have also been in shock ....

sinniebunnie

Neurotic 4 Alignment
O.G.
Nov 7, 2005
Australia
Someone on here got a bag from either saks or NM that was mis tagged and saved 500$. so i am guessing it could be a mis tag.

aeonat

O.G.
Dec 13, 2007
A place calls Home
yep.. it could be mistag.. (but I did got quote from nordstrom that they quote the Gucci ladies web bag at the higher price)... but I would recommend to call up other SAKs store and ask them to check the price for you.. to see if it is all SAKs store having that price or just the store you go to . And also check on the size (as mentioned by Smalls).. since there might be a large!!

vhsethan

O.G.
Jul 18, 2007
omg I love that mens tote and it's not a bad price! Do you think it'll ever be reduced/at outlets?!

flipchickmc

Never Gucci-fied!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Seattle, WA
I noticed the same thing. The large Jockey Large Hobo (black gg fabric one) is $1350 on gucci website and in the store. When I saw the same bag on Saks website it's listed as $1750. A $400 difference!! I find it very strange.......

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...408474399545537&bmUID=1234369719133&ev19=1:15
Cici - the bag you posted from Saks is actually all black leather (not gg fabric). The price on Gucci.com is the same for all leather $1750.

Clake76 - have you had an SA double check the style # and size to make sure it's the same tote? I remember an SA emailing me that the Large Sukey was marked at $1xxx in their look book but when it came tagged it was $850. So, yes - it could definitely be a mistag.