Gucci's quality issue

Beni

Apr 29, 2010
So I was at the gucci flagship store today with my mom and she wanted to purchase the new "GG running medium tote" in black leather priced at around $1900. I wouldn't say that my mom is picky, but she likes to inspect any handbag she buys for flaws etc. So as she was looking at the bag, she found that the stitching(thread) on the handles were coming off. The sales even offered to cut it off for her. For a premium brand and a handbag at such a price, shouldn't it be better than that? I understand that not all bags are perfect and there are sometimes little flaws no matter what brand it is. However, overall I still think that LV still has a better quality.

You might say that this is just one incident. However, I remember my girlfriend had to return a gucci clutch because the threads on there were all fuzzy and unevenly sewed. The leather even has tiny scratches on it. She finds that most of her gucci bags don't stand well in time as her LV or Chanel bags. Also, I've heard of many quality issues with gucci customers in the past on the internet as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Gucci and own quite a few items from them. However, I just feel that their products are not consistently maintained in high quality. Some are perfect, some are not. This is making me a little disappointed and iffy about it because I really love this brand. I just hope they would be more strict and pay attention to these little quality details.

Any thoughts on this?

If you read the Chanel, LV, BV or Hermes forums you will know this is not just a Gucci issue.

Hermes recently sold me a scarf with a mark on - it caused me no end of problems. They offered to dry clean it for free - very good of them LOL.

I always inspect everything about the actual bag/item I am buying. What I do appreciate is how good Gucci Customer service if something goes wrong later and that is and that is why I continue to stay loyal.

Actually, I think that Gucci's quality has picked up recently so I feel happier now than a few years ago.

Reactions: celine666666
I would have to agree with you to a certain extend. I love Gucci but they are not consistent. I'm very picky and will inspect everything before I pay. A lot of their products on display either have scratch, scruffs or marks on them and the stitchings were very sloppy. Overall LV is still superior, IMO and so is the general public.

In my personal experience, most Gucci SAs are also very rude, snotty, and *****es! You can feel the ugly energy the moment you walk into their store. I recently had an an unpleasant experience from them so I will no longer shop at the Gucci store. I'll take my business to Saks.

Reactions: coachclst
I've definitely noticed some quality flaws over the last few years. I used to be a loyal Gucci buyer, but I noticed major probs with some of my bags since Tom Ford left. I know that there are many other designers that are also having issues....I too inspect everything before I buy!

If you read the Chanel, LV, BV or Hermes forums you will know this is not just a Gucci issue.

Hermes recently sold me a scarf with a mark on - it caused me no end of problems. They offered to dry clean it for free - very good of them LOL.

I always inspect everything about the actual bag/item I am buying. What I do appreciate is how good Gucci Customer service if something goes wrong later and that is and that is why I continue to stay loyal.

Actually, I think that Gucci's quality has picked up recently so I feel happier now than a few years ago.

This! I love both Gucci and Lv but I have noticed a few threads in the LV forum pertaining to flaws or impaired craftmanship i.e. uneven threading on handles, peeling handles (mainly on Damier Speedies), wiggly zipper ways, etc. And I've also heard about LV SA being a little rude as well so I guess quality of a brand is all in the perception of the buyer. I so far *knock on wood* have had zero issues with Gucci or LV.

I totally agree with you!!! I just bought a guccissima messenger bag at gucci store, I also inspected the bag before I purchased, the first one the sales person showed me had fuzzy stitches, she tried to cut it off and then she made it worse. She showed me two more, and they all have some problem, not major, but noticeable. Customer service experience for me was not pleasant, sales person not very friendly and kinda rude.....makes me think twice before I shop at gucci store again.......:sad:

I totally agree with you!!! I just received a Boston Joy in patent as a gift and when I looked at the bag one of the patent straps was wrinkled/cracked really BAD!!! I called Gucci and they said there isn't anything they can do because I didn't buy it from them lol.....I got it from Nordstrom which sells your products it shouldn't matter were it was purchased they should stand by their products! They told me to go back to Nordstrom and have them deal with it I then went to say Nordstrom is sold out of this bag company wide they didn't care lol...Now don't get me wrong I love Gucci I just feel that they shouldn't have let this bag go past their warehouse to a store that looks terrible!! That's my opinion just saying lol.....

Last edited:
I totally agree with you!!! I just received a Boston Joy in patent as a gift and when I looked at the bag one of the patent straps was wrinkled/cracked really BAD!!! I called Gucci and they said there isn't anything they can do because I didn't buy it from them lol.....I got it from Nordstrom which sells your products it shouldn't matter were it was purchased they should stand by their products! They told me to go back to Nordstrom and have them deal with it I then went to say Nordstrom is sold out of this bag company wide they didn't care lol...Now don't get me wrong I love Gucci I just feel that they shouldn't have let this bag go past their warehouse to a store that looks terrible!! That's my opinion just saying lol.....

That is not Gucci's fault. They will welcome you for a repair at a nominal fee, however they were correct in referring you back to Nordstrom as they are the one who sold you the bag. Any claim on manufacturing or quality control issues to Gucci should be coming from them. Also, who's to say that Nordstrom was not the one to damage the bag?

You should ask the person who gave you the gift for a receipt so that you can proceed with Nordstrom's customer service representatives.

And anyway, have you ever kept patent leather products before? Wrinkling is a characteristic of the material...

Last edited:
That is not Gucci's fault. They will welcome you for a repair at a nominal fee, however they were correct in referring you back to Nordstrom as they are the one who sold you the bag. Any claim on manufacturing or quality control issues to Gucci should be coming from them. Also, who's to say that Nordstrom was not the one to damage the bag?

You should ask the person who gave you the gift for a receipt so that you can proceed with Nordstrom's customer service representatives.

And anyway, have you ever kept patent leather products before? Wrinkling is a characteristic of the material...

Good advice r15324

...and as for the characteristics of patent - that is true where ever the patent-leather is rounded or bent such as the inside of a handle (although it should not crack). It shouldn't be markedly wrinkled if it's solid shape box shape (e.g. a Moonlight clutch) but certainly with the squishy patent bags like a patent Hysteria wrinkles are part of the appearance.

Patent-leather must be stored correctly otherwise all sorts of weird stuff can happen to it.

Just trying to form a picture in my mind's eye.

Which model was it? The all-red patent Valentines from last year or do you mean patent leather trim?

By saying 'straps' do you mean handle?

Maybe post pics.

I have a patent-leather trim Joy Boston that I have had exactly 2 years and it looks absolutely brand new. It would be good to know which model you have.

I do know that not much can be done to fix patent leather anyway (I have a 1969 patent-leather casualty that Gucci said it can not be fixed). You might try just leaving your bag out of the humidity of its dust bag and see if it improves, that's what I did (after cleaning the wreck with glass polish) and it is getting stronger everyday.

Just trying to form a picture in my mind's eye.

Which model was it? The all-red patent Valentines from last year or do you mean patent leather trim?

By saying 'straps' do you mean handle?

Maybe post pics.

I have a patent-leather trim Joy Boston that I have had exactly 2 years and it looks absolutely brand new. It would be good to know which model you have.

I do know that not much can be done to fix patent leather anyway (I have a 1969 patent-leather casualty that Gucci said it can not be fixed). You might try just leaving your bag out of the humidity of its dust bag and see if it improves, that's what I did (after cleaning the wreck with glass polish) and it is getting stronger everyday.

I know patent wrinkles but not this bad it not like it's been bent wrinkles it looks like when Gucci stitched the patent straps they didn't pull them tight to give that smooth look like the needle skipped at one point lol......And this is how it looked right out of the box when I opened the gift..I do have another Gucci patent bag and it looks perfect and brand new...I'll have to post pictures to show everyone...Also I did go back to Nordstrom and they looked at it and said it's a defect and I can't believe we sent it out looking like that...I told them if they could find another one in the company and have it shipped she looked and Nordstrom is sold out of this bag..So that's why I called Gucci to find out if they could repair the bag which they said No because patent can't be repaired and they said there was nothing they could do about the bag.

I know patent wrinkles but not this bad it not like it's been bent wrinkles it looks like when Gucci stitched the patent straps they didn't pull them tight to give that smooth look like the needle skipped at one point lol......And this is how it looked right out of the box when I opened the gift..I do have another Gucci patent bag and it looks perfect and brand new...I'll have to post pictures to show everyone...Also I did go back to Nordstrom and they looked at it and said it's a defect and I can't believe we sent it out looking like that...I told them if they could find another one in the company and have it shipped she looked and Nordstrom is sold out of this bag..So that's why I called Gucci to find out if they could repair the bag which they said No because patent can't be repaired and they said there was nothing they could do about the bag.

I think you may have to go for a full refund then :yes: Good luck.

All I know from my own personal experience with Gucci, is I find them to be wonderful, from the people in the boutique, to the merchandise. I, too, have seen a thread that looks like it is hanging but, if anything, upon inspection, it was just left long and not loose. I wouldn't bother defending Gucci's reputation but I can attest from owning many Gucci goods (scarves, jewelry, bags and wallet) that their quality is still excellent and, if cared for, can last a very loooooong time!

You will find complaints with almost any handbag in any one of the forums here. Examples are: The weight of the leather is too heavy; too thin; the leather is porous and shows water stains, needs to be treated, needs a base to retain it's shape, needs to be pampered, etc.

I also want to mention, they stand behind their merchandise with repair!

I think you may have to go for a full refund then :yes: Good luck.

Yeah I'm returning it and getting something else since they don't have another one to ship me out!

Here are some pictures of the bag the last picture is how the trim/straps should be lol....

Attachments

• bag1 (300 x 169).jpg
    bag1 (300 x 169).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,371
  • bag2 (250 x 445).jpg
    bag2 (250 x 445).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,390
  • bag3 (250 x 445).jpg
    bag3 (250 x 445).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,365
  • bag4 (250 x 445).jpg
    bag4 (250 x 445).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,396
Good advice r15324

...and as for the characteristics of patent - that is true where ever the patent-leather is rounded or bent such as the inside of a handle (although it should not crack). It shouldn't be markedly wrinkled if it's solid shape box shape (e.g. a Moonlight clutch) but certainly with the squishy patent bags like a patent Hysteria wrinkles are part of the appearance.

Patent-leather must be stored correctly otherwise all sorts of weird stuff can happen to it.

ITA! I have heard some horror stories regarding patent leather..and when it isn't stored properly HORRIBLE things happen. I am too scared to purchased patent leather bags now!