Gucci Velvet marmont wear and tear - is it really that delicate?

donut33

Jul 21, 2021
Hi y’all,

I am considering adding a Gucci velvet marmont bag (pre-loved) into my collection because I personally love the velvet more than the leather in terms of looks. However I heard the velvet is super delicate. Like even if you get one drop of water on it the velvet will change color etc… I plan on using this bag on a regular basis (not in the rain), but like shopping and going out. Is it actually as delicate as everyone says it is? Please help! Thank you

I don't own a velvet bag, but I do own a few velvet pillows and pillowcases and yes, water will affect them. A drop will become permanent on velvet and you will see the mark whenever you get your bag. Velvet is a delicate material, and as such you will have to baby it more. A velvet bag rubbing against your body will show wear much faster than a leather one, and the wear doesn't tend to look pretty. Corners tend to suffer the most...

Have you checked a pre-loved website for well-used velvet bags? It can give you a good idea of what to expect.

The edges of this WOC will give you some idea as to how velvet tends to wear on corners and wherever it gets constant friction. It gets sort of rubbed "raw". Velvet isn't the best material for an everyday bag...

Reactions: donut33 and am1ly
I don't own a velvet bag, but I do own a few velvet pillows and pillowcases and yes, water will affect them. A drop will become permanent on velvet and you will see the mark whenever you get your bag. Velvet is a delicate material, and as such you will have to baby it more. A velvet bag rubbing against your body will show wear much faster than a leather one, and the wear doesn't tend to look pretty. Corners tend to suffer the most...

Have you checked a pre-loved website for well-used velvet bags? It can give you a good idea of what to expect.

The edges of this WOC will give you some idea as to how velvet tends to wear on corners and wherever it gets constant friction. It gets sort of rubbed "raw". Velvet isn't the best material for an everyday bag...
Thank you for the detailed response! I’m glad I read through it before an impulse purchase. I can’t handle constantly babying a bag :sad: I guess it’s not for me then. Thanks for letting me know