Gucci Sukey too dated?

LilaSkye

Oct 18, 2015
Hello! I'm a super-lurker, but need to slink out of the shadows for a moment :smile:

I've been thinking about the Sukey for a couple of years now, but I'm worried it might look too dated. It seems like such a practical, pretty bag so hopefully its age won't matter. What do you think?

Thanks for and guidance you may offer!

Reactions: Hippolyta
The Sukey is gorgeous! I've been tempted so many times to pick up one in brown Guccissima. The only reason I haven't is because it doesn't sit comfortably on my shoulder--but I'm still tempted.

Big, slouchy bags are definitely coming back. I've been seeing lots of ads from Neiman, Saks, etc. on IG, for example, featuring bigger hobos and totes.

Reactions: Sonic Peaches
Hello! I'm a super-lurker, but need to slink out of the shadows for a moment :smile:

I've been thinking about the Sukey for a couple of years now, but I'm worried it might look too dated. It seems like such a practical, pretty bag so hopefully its age won't matter. What do you think?

Thanks for and guidance you may offer!
I carry a Fendi Spy...

I don't have one but my sister did. It's hard for me to look at without knowing it if YKWIM. I certainly think these bags are due a revival soon.

This is the first year I've bought a Gucci bag in 5 years (lots of other things, just not bags). I love my Gucci bags and don't sell them, I just love them. Some of them are from when I was a teen and a couple were my mother's. In January I took my blue suede Babushka Boston out, and I have never had so many compliments on a bag. Not only from those that knew but also from plenty that were too young to remember. I've been carrying more Hermes around than Gucci for a couple of years, but it's always the Guccis that people talk about, and especially Hermes SAs :biggrin:.

if the shoulder drop suits you or if you are fine with carrying it over the arm, it’s stunning. IMO, the gucci sukey in metallic leather is particularly lush, rich and gorgeous. I cannot remember if the reason why I never purchased was that the drop was problematic (I have a big shoulder cap and upper arm for my size) or whether my personal RTW style at the time called for a more structured bag. . . I think the fendi spy had a more generous drop, but my memory could be off.

I don't have one but my sister did. It's hard for me to look at without knowing it if YKWIM. I certainly think these bags are due a revival soon.

This is the first year I've bought a Gucci bag in 5 years (lots of other things, just not bags). I love my Gucci bags and don't sell them, I just love them. Some of them are from when I was a teen and a couple were my mother's. In January I took my blue suede Babushka Boston out, and I have never had so many compliments on a bag. Not only from those that knew but also from plenty that were too young to remember. I've been carrying more Hermes around than Gucci for a couple of years, but it's always the Guccis that people talk about, and especially Hermes SAs :biggrin:.
Can we see a picture of you blue babushka Boston?

I cannot wait until I have the experience of wearing a bag that is, shall we say, “awaiting a revival.” I did not start collecting until adulthood.

I personally don't feel as if it is a dated look. Although larger hobo bags aren't really in style at this moment, they are still classic. The Gucci supreme logo is also super hot right now. I do subscribe to the belief system that we should wear what we like whether it be 2008 or 2020!

Reactions: papertiger
I actually think the Sukey ages well. It does have a unique look, but it is mostly covered in classic canvas. Besides, designer bags are about getting beautiful things you love.

Can we see a picture of you blue babushka Boston?

I cannot wait until I have the experience of wearing a bag that is, shall we say, “awaiting a revival.” I did not start collecting until adulthood.

Blasts from the past

Babushka (AW08) right hand side. Together with my mother's classic Gucci horseshoe shoulder bag on the left, Gucci Valentine Leather Hearts Boston (2009) behind (and a metallic Balenciaga) and my mother's Gucci clutch behind from the 1970s that has enamel hardware.

8a519019-8d94-4ea9-8934-de234973c834_zpswzadsbui.jpg