Gucci Soho Disco - has the leather changed?

jelly-baby

O.G.
Feb 2, 2009
Today I received a Soho Disco from a well known department store. I was dismayed at the quality. I used to own a SD 2-3 years ago and remember it being lovely leather. This one I received today felt like pebbled plastic and looked very cheap. I could not see any code on the reverse tag either. The lining felt rough and scratchy. I have returned it now but I’m starting to wonder if it were a fake as it was so poor. Or have Gucci updated the leather? I have ordered another direct from Gucci so I guess I’ll see what that ends up like. Just wondering what to expect.

I ordered a beige/nude Soho Disco direct from Gucci about a month ago. The quality is really good and its one of my most used bags these days since it packs a lot and I don't need to baby it. Maybe you just got a bad apple from the department store? Curious to hear how it will compare to the one you get directly from Gucci or if indeed the quality was better a few years ago.

Reactions: jelly-baby
I received the new one direct from Gucci today. I’m now convinced the one I got previously was a fake. The one from Gucci is the same leather that I remember so I don’t think it has changed. I’m guessing either someone has returned a fake or someone working in the store has swtiched a real one and sent me the fake. It would explain why it was stuffed in the box the way it was and the poor quality. I hope I don’t have an issue when they process my refund.

That's horrible that you may have received a fake! I hope you file a complaint with the department store and get a full refund. Department store shopping is more convenient sometimes but for pricey purchases, it's sometimes best to buy directly from the designer for quality purposes. I'm glad your new one from Gucci is up to your standards and hope you enjoy it!

I received the new one direct from Gucci today. I’m now convinced the one I got previously was a fake. The one from Gucci is the same leather that I remember so I don’t think it has changed. I’m guessing either someone has returned a fake or someone working in the store has swtiched a real one and sent me the fake. It would explain why it was stuffed in the box the way it was and the poor quality. I hope I don’t have an issue when they process my refund.

There's always a code on the bag of the tag, that's for sure.

hi. It was Selfridges in the UK. I got my refund so that’s good. Just seen a fake one on eBay that looks like the one I received!

I'm pleased you're shot of it.

Did you alert them or were you too nervous they'd blame you? I hope to heaven they don't resell it to someone else.

I'm pleased you're shot of it.

Did you alert them or were you too nervous they'd blame you? I hope to heaven they don't resell it to someone else.

No I didn’t tell them. Only because a couple of years ago I returned an MCM backpack as it was too small. I didn’t think anything of it at the time but it didn’t have their cardboard tag attached (the one that says they won’t accept it back if it’s removed) when I received it. It also didn’t come with a dustbag. I returned it the next day. Anyway, they got it back and accused me of using it and said they wouldn’t refund me and would send it back to me. Obviously I was not happy. I pointed out I returned it within 24 hours. I had a battle with them but eventually got a “goodwill” refund. So I did not trust them to believe me if I reported it this time. I just wanted my money back.

Reactions: papertiger
No I didn’t tell them. Only because a couple of years ago I returned an MCM backpack as it was too small. I didn’t think anything of it at the time but it didn’t have their cardboard tag attached (the one that says they won’t accept it back if it’s removed) when I received it. It also didn’t come with a dustbag. I returned it the next day. Anyway, they got it back and accused me of using it and said they wouldn’t refund me and would send it back to me. Obviously I was not happy. I pointed out I returned it within 24 hours. I had a battle with them but eventually got a “goodwill” refund. So I did not trust them to believe me if I reported it this time. I just wanted my money back.

I don't blame you. It's definitely 'who pays the ferryman?'.

It's sad that someone may end-up with that dud.

Do they not provide proof of authenticity?

No. Only the same as what you’d get from
Gucci direct. If it was a fake returned by a customer and the storeroom staff did not notice then any authenticity in relation to a real one would be pointless anyway. Or if it was a dodgy staff member switching real for fake.