Gucci quality concerns

lv.uni.girl

Nov 13, 2018
Hi guys, just for information, I haven't purchased from Gucci for a looooong time (excluding fine jewellery). I have a big event coming up and I have my eye on a few pieces (shoes, bag, trousers, jewellery) to outfit myself.

However, I am going to spend a significant amount in one transaction hence I am concerned about what I am buying. I want to be able to use my items for the next ten years or so, not just for a couple of uses. I've noticed Gucci's sharp increase in popularity and I'm wondering how their quality control is faring in light of high demand.

Has anyone had quality issues with their Gucci, or can you vouch for the quality?
Thanks in advance :smile:

I don't know what bags you have in mind, but I bought a Gucci Dionysus WOC a few year ago that I have used almost daily since, and it looks as good as brand new! It's been with me to school, walks, travels, going shopping, sure I am not super rough on my bags, but it gets tossed around quite a bit at home, but doesn't show the slightest sign of wear other than that one of the inner leather compartments sides have been bent outwards instead of inwards due to me stuffing the bag to the fullest for some time when I tried to use flat, but wide, make up pouches in it, and I don't know how to bend the side back as it tends to just pop back out (I stopped using the pouches once I noticed that they ruined the bag's shape). But this is not something that bothers me as it is not visible from the front. Other than that, it's in as good as perfect condition despite daily use. Oh well, it smells like perfume when you open it as a mini perfume bottle broke in it once, but that's not the bags fault.

Hi guys, just for information, I haven't purchased from Gucci for a looooong time (excluding fine jewellery). I have a big event coming up and I have my eye on a few pieces (shoes, bag, trousers, jewellery) to outfit myself.

However, I am going to spend a significant amount in one transaction hence I am concerned about what I am buying. I want to be able to use my items for the next ten years or so, not just for a couple of uses. I've noticed Gucci's sharp increase in popularity and I'm wondering how their quality control is faring in light of high demand.

Has anyone had quality issues with their Gucci, or can you vouch for the quality?
I bought the marmot bag in nude twice and both bags had edge paint wear off. I would suggest not getting a bag with painted edges!

Reactions: Withlovejoy and CSG

There are quality issues with all high-end brands. When you make your purchases, ask yourself if each particular piece has the potential to last ten years or not. You have to be deliberate in your selection.

I have had a couple of issues with Gucci over the years: one pair of shoes that literally fell apart, my mom’s diamond watch that mysteriously stopped working, and, a long time ago, a bag zipper that broke. Despite the frustration, all these incidents were addressed by Gucci.

Today, I mostly buy shoes and I haven’t had any issues.

I have bought many items from Gucci (bags, shoes, RTW) over the past few years, both from regular retail and outlet. I've had only one issue, when an outlet location shipped a cardigan to me that had a significant snag. Even though outlet is 14-day exchange only, they promptly offered a full refund if that's what I wanted. From my experience, and what I've witnessed in-store, Gucci does a good job of standing behind their items. It's also nice that after an update of their point-of-sale systems, ALL of your purchases (online, outlet retail, full-price retail) show up for any Gucci employee, at any location. They can instantly access your entire purchase history, with pictures.

More what I notice, with a large rise in popularity, is certain models across a brand will have a loss of some detail. Stitching may not be as detailed, materials may be cheaper (i.e. more modal and less silk in a scarf), straps may not be adjustable, etc. These are cost-cutting measures, and happen across every brand, but when you start to look closely, you'll notice that some items contain more detail for the price. As @fabuleux said, be deliberate in your choices. Just be sure the details that are important to you = what you're happy with for the price!

I don't own any Gucci bags myself because their pieces don't tend to be my style, but I've definitely heard quite a few horror stories about hardware breaking without usage, etc. But I've also heard that their customer service is quite good, and that in most cases, people have had their issues resolved-- though it does take time.

Different pieces tend to have their own different "weak points" that tend to be more defective, I would look into reviews of each piece individually. Heard good things about their shoes, I also own a few of their jewelry pieces and the quality has been spectacular (though every piece I have from them is in 18K gold, I don't have any of the silver), would recommend the shoes and jewelry. It's mostly bags that I've heard quality issues about.

I have bought many items from Gucci (bags, shoes, RTW) over the past few years, both from regular retail and outlet. I've had only one issue, when an outlet location shipped a cardigan to me that had a significant snag. Even though outlet is 14-day exchange only, they promptly offered a full refund if that's what I wanted. From my experience, and what I've witnessed in-store, Gucci does a good job of standing behind their items. It's also nice that after an update of their point-of-sale systems, ALL of your purchases (online, outlet retail, full-price retail) show up for any Gucci employee, at any location. They can instantly access your entire purchase history, with pictures.

More what I notice, with a large rise in popularity, is certain models across a brand will have a loss of some detail. Stitching may not be as detailed, materials may be cheaper (i.e. more modal and less silk in a scarf), straps may not be adjustable, etc. These are cost-cutting measures, and happen across every brand, but when you start to look closely, you'll notice that some items contain more detail for the price. As @fabuleux said, be deliberate in your choices. Just be sure the details that are important to you = what you're happy with for the price!
Stuff like that has had me RUNNING from LV

I've had Gucci items from the 1980s passed down from my mom, and the canvas from back then still holds up very well. The leather on some of the oldest pieces have cracked, but that is sadly expected since some of the items were forgotten in a closet for many years before I "adopted" them. :smile:

The more recent Guccis I have to say are pretty good quality in my experience. I used my beige Gucci Soho Disco during an impromptu kayaking activity on a lake (it was totally spur of the moment else I would have used a different bag!) and the leather got wet in places. We're talking big fat drops and splashes that left dark water marks, but I just used a towel to dry off the moisture as much as I could and by the next day the bag had dried out and looked as good as new, absolutely no water marks/leather damage at all. So overall I would say yeah, Gucci leather and canvas at least is pretty sturdy.

Can't speak to the stitching/embroidery or the fabrics though as I do not own those pieces.

Reactions: papertiger
In the last 5 years, I’ve also had problems with a screw falling out (it attached some hardware to a leather shoulder strap) and with the metallic finish on leather wearing off. I am still a huge Gucci fan, but I’d definitely be mindful and choose materials and styles that are less vulnerable to wear. The stitching, leather and canvas has held up despite heavy use. Happy shopping xx

Reactions: papertiger
I bought my first gucci and so far it is still good. Sometimes, I accidentally sandwiched it somewhere with my body and and the sides were a bit deformed because of it but I just push it back out and it looks good. I dont mind having it look old and used later on. i enjoy it looking vintage looking. i had a small key cles from LV and even if some areas had faded I was okay with it. I know someone who was using something similar to that cles. It was a lacoste coin purse with a substantial hole in it and she loves it. She said she had it for 8 years and it was a lucky purse. I find it cute. I think anything develops wear and tear no matter what you do so why dwell over it? Its like our body everyone gets old and develop diseases so how much more material things. Theres no forever at all.

Reactions: loves
Has anyone have issues with edge painting on the actual leather? It's not really that noticeable at a glance but when you inspect the edges closely, you can tell that part of the leather has some slight paint.

20201020_105710.jpg

Has anyone have issues with edge painting on the actual leather? It's not really that noticeable at a glance but when you inspect the edges closely, you can tell that part of the leather has some slight paint.

View attachment 4883491

I agree this should have been picked-p by quality control.

Did you buy it online or store? Perhaps you can ask for an exchange.
It's these kind of little things that grow in our mind if we accept them, even though as you cay it's 'cosmetic' and not noticeable at first glance.