Gucci - is it cheaper to buy in Rome (versus the US)

May 18, 2015
Hi ladies

I did a quick board search on this topic and couldn't find any results. If there is a thread on this topic, please do point me to it. Someone I know may be flying to Rome. I was wondering if Gucci is cheaper there as compared to U.S.

Thanks
FS

Yes, it is cheaper anywhere in the Eurozone than in the US. Compare the Italy website to the US website for this Marmont bag:
$2,300 on US website
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/wome...th=Women/Womens-Handbags/Womens-Shoulder-Bags

1,790 Euros on Italian website
https://www.gucci.com/it/en_gb/pr/w...rmont-matelass-shoulder-bag-p-443496DRW3T1000

With current conversion rates, that price in Euros is about $1,900, making the bag $400 cheaper in Italy.
plus the VAT tax

plus the VAT tax

Yes, so coupled with a VAT refund it should be even cheaper.
Yes, it is cheaper anywhere in the Eurozone than in the US. Compare the Italy website to the US website for this Marmont bag:
$2,300 on US website
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/wome...th=Women/Womens-Handbags/Womens-Shoulder-Bags

https://www.gucci.com/it/en_gb/pr/w...rmont-matelass-shoulder-bag-p-443496DRW3T1000

With current conversion rates, that price in Euros is about $1,900, making the bag $400 cheaper in Italy.

Thank you all, so much! Follow on question - how easy is it to claim a VAT refund at the airport in Rome? Anything to keep in mind (I know I should not have used the bag)? Does the process take an hour? Two?

Thanks again!

$2,300 on US website

@cafecreme15 - Thanks for the heads-up pertaining to the price difference of Gucci in the Eurozone versus in the US, this is good information to know!:tup:

Reactions: cafecreme15
Thank you all, so much! Follow on question - how easy is it to claim a VAT refund at the airport in Rome? Anything to keep in mind (I know I should not have used the bag)? Does the process take an hour? Two?

Thanks again!

It is dependent how long the Custom and VAT refund line. You could find these answers in another thread.

It took me less than 15 minutes to get it done. Since I had early flight around 6 in the morning and not a lot of people there.

Keep in mind, it would be huge difference if you get refund in cash or credit card.
I noticed if you get the credit card refund from VAT tax you will get more money than cash.

That happened with me on my Paris trip, at first I claimed in the VAT form that I would to get the cash refund on one of stuffs. (It was about €42 in cash). Unfortunately, the VAT office did not open until 6 and my flight took off exactly 6 o'clock. So I had to mail them out and changed my cash refund to credit card refund. I got like almost like €50 refund on my credit card. But It takes about 3 or 5 weeks for it goes back to your credit card. That was for all my Paris refund.

Somehow it was a little different with all my stuffs I bought in Berlin. I got exactly amount refund on VAT form even I changed to credit card refund method. They did not change the different amount like my Paris refund.

One more thing, REMEMBER TO FILL OUT EVERYTHING. ( CUSTOM STAMPS, your informations and your SIGNATURE) I forgot to sign on my VAT forms... I was freaking worried that they will not processed my refunds. But I got all my refunds almost a month.

On the other hand, the cash refund will charge you about €2 or 3 per receipt.
That is my personal experiences from the last January.

Please share your Rome trips experience with us....

I went to Milan last fall, purchased from several stores including Gucci. The VAT process was pretty straightforward, but took about an hour midday on a weekday. A few important things to keep in mind. There is a VAT refund center in the main shopping area in Milan. Once I saw the lines at the airport, I truly wished I had done the refund in the city instead of at the airport. Secondly, retailers use different VAT refund processing companies, so it is possible that you will have to stand in two, possibly three different VAT refund lines at the airport. For example, Gucci and Chanel use the same company, so if you only purchased from these stores, you would only have to stand in one line. But, if you purchased from another retailer who used a different company, you would have to stand in a separate VAT refund line. You'll know when the retailer hands you the completed VAT forms which VAT refund company they use. Lastly, always remember to keep the items you are claiming for VAT refunds in your carry on as occasionally you will be asked to show the item(s) to a customs officer. (Note: In Milan, the VAT refund area is in the main terminal in the departures area so technically, you can go do your VAT refunds then move the items into your luggage before you check your luggage in.) This happened to me and I had to go to a separate counter in a different location to show the officers one of the items I purchased. There was one person ahead of me at this line and the entire thing only took a few minutes (and he barely looked at the item). Once he stamped my paperwork, I had to return to the VAT refund office to finalize my refund. In summary, try to do the VAT refund in the city rather than the airport and if you do choose to do it at the airport, leave yourself enough time to possibly stand in multiple lines.

Hi I just came back from Rome. I bought the Soho Disco bag at the Gucci store at the airport, duty free, no hassle to claim VAT refund. It was 670 Euro, so definately cheaper than buying in Canada or US.

Thank you for your uber helpful response!
It is dependent how long the Custom and VAT refund line. You could find these answers in another thread.

It took me less than 15 minutes to get it done. Since I had early flight around 6 in the morning and not a lot of people there.

Keep in mind, it would be huge difference if you get refund in cash or credit card.
I noticed if you get the credit card refund from VAT tax you will get more money than cash.

That happened with me on my Paris trip, at first I claimed in the VAT form that I would to get the cash refund on one of stuffs. (It was about €42 in cash). Unfortunately, the VAT office did not open until 6 and my flight took off exactly 6 o'clock. So I had to mail them out and changed my cash refund to credit card refund. I got like almost like €50 refund on my credit card. But It takes about 3 or 5 weeks for it goes back to your credit card. That was for all my Paris refund.

Somehow it was a little different with all my stuffs I bought in Berlin. I got exactly amount refund on VAT form even I changed to credit card refund method. They did not change the different amount like my Paris refund.

One more thing, REMEMBER TO FILL OUT EVERYTHING. ( CUSTOM STAMPS, your informations and your SIGNATURE) I forgot to sign on my VAT forms... I was freaking worried that they will not processed my refunds. But I got all my refunds almost a month.

On the other hand, the cash refund will charge you about €2 or 3 per receipt.
That is my personal experiences from the last January.

Please share your Rome trips experience with us....