• Dionysus

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Classic flap bag

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters

Acherousian

Nov 21, 2015
Hello everyone
I'm struggling with a 'huge' dilemma about my next bag purchase :confused1: I dont really have anyone who shares my bag love - therefore i'm asking here:yahoo: Pardon my english, it's not my native language
I'm going to Paris and NYC this May, and i'm looking forward to buy a bag there:tup: I live in a fairy small city with no high-end stores close by soooo I often buy my stuff online.

With the opportunity close by i'm struggling to decide which bag to purchase. I can't buy both bags because my budget is limited, lol.

Im debating between these two:

Chanel Classic flap bag in medium with gold hardware and caviar:love:
1dU5x9I.png

OR
The Gucci Dionysus embroidered in large
UoNywIy.png

They are both around the same price

I'm loving everything about the Dionysus one. It's unique and has lots of details which I adore. The reason why im hesitating about it is because I already have a red arabesque Dionysus in my bag collection. I can't afford to buy that many bags per year, but this one is a limited edition version (i think) so its only available for a short period, and I'm aiming to start up with different kinds of bags. The last thing i'm worried about is that I have to order it online. When I go travelling i'm hoping to get a great shopping experience in store and i know this sounds kinda ridiculous but thats how I feel about it. I'm also a little worried about that the Dionysus will go out of fashion. One last thing is that the bag has smooth leather on the back i'm worried about it will get scrathed, and generally that the beads will fall off :sad:

That's why im considering the Chanel classic flap bag in medium - It's timeless and gorgeous. I used to have a vintage classic flap bag in lambskin, but I sold it because it was too delicate and I wanted a brand new bag. So I bought a Boy for the money I sold my bag. Now i'm kinda regretting it because I do really like the design but it's a 'plain' bag compared to the Dionysus and I feel like too many has this bag. Another bonus about the Chanel bag is that I can get the long awaited shopping experience in either Paris or NYC. I also feel like I need a Classic flap bag in my collection, and with the price rising all the time I feel pressured to buy it ASAP

I'm sorry that it's quite long to read, but I really need some advice... what are your thoughts?

The Gucci, it's a work of art!
Definitely!!! I can't resist

Since you already have a Dionysus I would go for the Chanel Medium Classic Flap :tup:
The Gucci Dionysus embroidered is extremely beautiful however if you already have a Dionysus and don't have a large collection I would consider getting a different model.
I love the GHW on the Chanel... that would be my choice. Plus it's a classic, can't go wrong. I'm a huge fan of Gucci however so go with what you want more!
Thanks for your response :biggrin: I have made made my decision to go for the classic flap bag as well. I would need to see the dionysus in store before going back to being confused :biggrin:

Reactions: papertiger
Chanel caviar classic...! The M/L size may not be able to fit that much, but for an expensive bag, it should be fairly timeless. Although the Dionysus is very cool and pretty, I can imagine myself tiring of it or feeling that it looks dated after 3-4 years.

Just be sure to be PICKY about the Chanel flap and don't just buy because this is your "chance". Some caviars are better than others (some batches are dull and blah); make sure you love it when you see it.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Chanel caviar classic...! The M/L size may not be able to fit that much, but for an expensive bag, it should be fairly timeless. Although the Dionysus is very cool and pretty, I can imagine myself tiring of it or feeling that it looks dated after 3-4 years.

Just be sure to be PICKY about the Chanel flap and don't just buy because this is your "chance". Some caviars are better than others (some batches are dull and blah); make sure you love it when you see it.

Oh really?! Thanks for the advice I will keep an eye on it... I would love to have a jumbo but i'm quite petite so it looks way too big for my frame :sad:.. I also agree that i'm worried about the dionysus being outdated after a few years, so yeah the flap bag is a safe choice compared to the dionysus

+1 to everything resplendent said here. Of the two I vote the Chanel. But, I have one M/L and won't get another as they just don't hold enough. Particularly with those maddening double flaps. My daughter is 5' tall and weighs nothing dripping wet but rocks my jumbos well. So perhaps you can give another look to the jumbo?

Also I'm a huge Dionysus fan but think the versions with appliqués will look dated fairly soon. The black on black will age better than most but...

Have you looked at the Dior Diorama? It's a beautiful flap bag and the black version comes in several special editions (microcannage, studded, appliqué) if you want something interesting. As a bonus that seems important to you, the shopping experience in Dior in Paris would be amazing.

Thanks for the response!!

+1 to everything resplendent said here. Of the two I vote the Chanel. But, I have one M/L and won't get another as they just don't hold enough. Particularly with those maddening double flaps. My daughter is 5' tall and weighs nothing dripping wet but rocks my jumbos well. So perhaps you can give another look to the jumbo?

Also I'm a huge Dionysus fan but think the versions with appliqués will look dated fairly soon. The black on black will age better than most but...

Have you looked at the Dior Diorama? It's a beautiful flap bag and the black version comes in several special editions (microcannage, studded, appliqué) if you want something interesting. As a bonus that seems important to you, the shopping experience in Dior in Paris would be amazing.

Hi! I did have a look at a jumbo but i think it's way too big for my frame :sad: i'm quite petite but generally I prefer bigger bags too! I completely agree with your statement regarding the dionysus, so im trying to 'forget' it. I have actually never been interested in Dior (no offense, but I dont know why). The Dior bags aren't widespread here in Denmark... but I must admit the Diorama in metallic silver and is damn gorgeous!!
do you own one?

I'm the minority here, but it sounds like you said you want the Chanel just because it's Chanel and the price is going up. How do you love your red one? If it's good for you, I'd stick with that. Flap is flap. It's sure that the resale price of Chanel will be better, but if you love your bag, you won't think about selling it ever. Plus, m/l can barely hold anything.

Get what your heart yearn for and what works for you.

Hope you have fun in Paris. [emoji4]

Thanks for the response!!

Hi! I did have a look at a jumbo but i think it's way too big for my frame :sad: i'm quite petite but generally I prefer bigger bags too! I completely agree with your statement regarding the dionysus, so im trying to 'forget' it. I have actually never been interested in Dior (no offense, but I dont know why). The Dior bags aren't widespread here in Denmark... but I must admit the Diorama in metallic silver and is damn gorgeous!!
do you own one?
No. I don't own a Diorama. But I think they're gorgeous! I may get one in the future if the right material / color combo comes out and grabs my heart. I do, however; own 2 Miss Diors (also flaps) and adore them!

That being said, I adore my Chanel classic flaps as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Are you looking for a classic you can wear everyday (Chanel flap) or a statement bag to boost your outfits (Gucci Dionyses)? It's also good to look at your own collection and see how many classic versus statement bags you own. I like to follow Michael Kors' 80% classic pieces and 20% statement pieces rule. Good luck!

Reactions: resplendent