Gucci Aphrodite Shoulder Bag

Grand opening, grand closing. I packed this lovely up today to take it outside for its maiden voyage. I put it in my front seat, which is the first time I saw it in full sunlight. And I was instantly disappointed. While the front of the G's looked good, the sides were ... grey? silver? dirty? I'm not sure, but they were not gold like the front. There was gold mixed in, but also splotches and patches of a dark color. Here are some pics in sunlight

gucci_gg_silver.jpg

ggs inside.jpg

I've already been in touch with customer service via chat, and they've been great so far. They did agree that while the front of the Gs looked fine, the sides did not look normal. I ordered this online and picked up in store, so they can't do an exchange in an online way. I'd have to go back to the store, they would accept my current bag, and then order a new one and then, I presume, I'd have to go back to the store to pick it up. It's an unpleasant 60-90 minute drive each way, so I'd rather not have to go back to the store twice for this. Ugh, lesson learned to inspect every aspect before leaving the store. They showed me the item in box and I quickly looked over the leather, but the hardware was wrapped up, and I didn't unwrap it. Even if I had, in my excitement and with not having the full sunlight, I might have still missed it.

So, I'm going to mail in the return and once they receive it and that's squared away, I'll order a replacement to be shipped to me. And hopefully there will be no issues with that.

Dang, it just occurred to me that I might not have a shipping box to fit this in. Since I picked it up and it came in a tote rather than a box for shipping. The green gift packing box is pretty big. Hmmm ...

Last edited:
So I realized that I didn't have a box big enough to send it back in the gift packaging and just decided to take it back in person. Luckily, they were able to exchange with the display model. When I went back in December and when I picked up last week, they did not have this color in store, so it really was good luck they did. The 'G's on this one are a much cleaner look. The store manager referred to the color variations on the Gs on the original bag as 'antiquing'. Anyway, the one they had on display did not have so much antiquing.

gucci exchange gg.jpg

So I'm quite happy with this one, and very pleased with their customer service.

So I realized that I didn't have a box big enough to send it back in the gift packaging and just decided to take it back in person. Luckily, they were able to exchange with the display model. When I went back in December and when I picked up last week, they did not have this color in store, so it really was good luck they did. The 'G's on this one are a much cleaner look. The store manager referred to the color variations on the Gs on the original bag as 'antiquing'. Anyway, the one they had on display did not have so much antiquing.

View attachment 5728728

So I'm quite happy with this one, and very pleased with their customer service.

This is why I always buy in-store so I can choose.

I personally don't mind the aged effect so long as it's even - it kinda tones it down

This is why I always buy in-store so I can choose.

I personally don't mind the aged effect so long as it's even - it kinda tones it down
I actually loved the aged look. I looked specifically for that when shopping for my Marmont a few years ago. I wanted an antique hardware look vs the shiny gold. But different strokes for different folks. My red Aphrodite is super shiny and brassy, but it isn't too bad IMO.

Both the original and exchange I received were aged to an extent, though much less so on the exchange. It’s just that the first one had the effect applied so that there was an aged blob on top of one of the Gs. I also thought it was too much on the inner part of the Gs, and didn’t match the front. The original and the exchange looked the same from the front, so the general appearance was not one of a more toned down look on the first vs the second. Even while we were in store and had the bags next to each other, they looked the same when looking at the front directly. You could only tell them apart when looking from the top or on the sides, and then the original looked like it had mismatched effects. Shiny on front, heavily antiqued on tops and sides.

Unfortunately, it was not an option to buy this color in store because they didn’t have it. I ordered online and picked it up in store. When I went back to the store to return/exchange, they had just gotten this color in stock and so I was able to exchange then and there rather than having them ship it back.

I have been happily enjoying it since.

OK, so beginning this year I have sworn off "dupes" - same exact bag in different colors. (I've rehomed all dupes except for one pair of bags that are no longer in production, so I have vowed to keep both.) I LOVE my red Aphrodite and adore the green color too, but figured I would get more use out of a green bag if it were the smaller size, which I also bought (the one with the chain strap).

I have been eyeing that gold-ish color like @nyeredzi 's and am really tempted to get a second medium. I know it will be used all-season and it's right up my alley style-wise for the foreseeable future.

Crazy?

OK, so beginning this year I have sworn off "dupes" - same exact bag in different colors. (I've rehomed all dupes except for one pair of bags that are no longer in production, so I have vowed to keep both.) I LOVE my red Aphrodite and adore the green color too, but figured I would get more use out of a green bag if it were the smaller size, which I also bought (the one with the chain strap).

I have been eyeing that gold-ish color like @nyeredzi 's and am really tempted to get a second medium. I know it will be used all-season and it's right up my alley style-wise for the foreseeable future.

Crazy?
Not crazy at all! I tend to buy multiples of bags I love and use a lot. If you love it and will use it, I think it's worth it.

Reactions: bagnut1

Crazy?
Well, I don’t think it’s crazy, lol! But why did you swear off dupes? The caramel color is really versatile and great for any time if the year, but especially spring and summer. Last I looked online, it was in store only rather than just available for purchase.

Well, I don’t think it’s crazy, lol! But why did you swear off dupes? The caramel color is really versatile and great for any time if the year, but especially spring and summer. Last I looked online, it was in store only rather than just available for purchase.
In the past when I have had duplicates they tend to cancel each other out..... meaning that I go for the function first, then color, and build my outfit around it. (Yes most of the time the bag comes before the clothes.) What ends up happening is that I don't carry the same bag in different colors back to back - I switch to a different bag altogether in between. So, when I have had 3 colors of the same bag they all get used about 1/3 of how many times I would have used whichever is the favorite/most flexible color if I just had the one. KWIM?

OTOH I have done a lot of editing this year so am less worried about that happening with this particular bag, also because these colors are so different and I will wear them in different ways from each other in each season. Also I think that the Gucci chevre is really TDF and the bag qualifiesa as a real long-term workhorse, so having 2 colors seems not only sensible, but perhaps imperative!

Thanks for the input!

• Insightful
Reactions: nyeredzi
I got an organizer for this bag from Samorga. It's quite thin, which is good, since this bag doesn't have much depth to begin with. But it gives me a couple of extra pockets and helps me keep the inside clean. I got it in gold, which is a great match for the lighter 'brown leather of this bag.

1684098559890.png

I might put more in this bag than was intended but, that's what I need! I'm happy it can fit what I need and still close!

1684098622331.png

I got an organizer for this bag from Samorga. It's quite thin, which is good, since this bag doesn't have much depth to begin with. But it gives me a couple of extra pockets and helps me keep the inside clean. I got it in gold, which is a great match for the lighter 'brown leather of this bag.

View attachment 5782834

I might put more in this bag than was intended but, that's what I need! I'm happy it can fit what I need and still close!

View attachment 5782840

I like the extra pockets in the organiser.

At least the Aphrodite has a very nice pocket, Having no pockets in my Lady Web shoulder bag is just weird and annoying - as much as I love her - I suppose she's a take on the old cartridge bags that had no pockets. Aphrodite is a well thought out bag.

At least the Aphrodite has a very nice pocket, Having no pockets in my Lady Web shoulder bag is just weird and annoying - as much as I love her - I suppose she's a take on the old cartridge bags that had no pockets. Aphrodite is a well thought out bag.
Yes, a bag with no pockets ended up being a dealbreaker for me. I also liked the Givenchy hobo, but it had no pocket. At least Aphrodite, as you say, has a nice, big pocket

Reactions: papertiger

Yes, a bag with no pockets ended up being a dealbreaker for me. I also liked the Givenchy hobo, but it had no pocket. At least Aphrodite, as you say, has a nice, big pocket
Interesting - I really dislike too many pockets in a bag and if there is only a small pocket (like in the Aphrodite Small version with the chain) I skip it entirely. Way back when I had a nice collection of Chanel WOCs I never used the card slots either because it was too much trouble to change bags.

But I get what you're saying about having a pocket - it is convenient to have a zipper pocket for my card holder and Bastia for cash - if I put those in my organizer it's a bit disorienting to find....

One of the things that I really appreciate about the Aphrodite is the 3-way wear option, even though I am a crossbody gal. I like the idea of having strap length options even if I don't use them.

Earlier this week I went out into the nice spring weather, happily wearing a floral blouse (unlike my usual sweater or t-shirt and jacket uniform) and the entire day I fought with my (not Aphrodite) crossbody bag strap, which kept popping my buttons open.

Yesterday was a bold experiment - blouse with shoulder bag. The Aphrodite is also incredibly comfortable to carry on the shoulder! I thought the short strap might make the bag feel chunky but it's actually super easy.

And the carmel color is so rich and versatile for pairing with bright colors.

IMG_0587.jpeg

One of the things that I really appreciate about the Aphrodite is the 3-way wear option, even though I am a crossbody gal. I like the idea of having strap length options even if I don't use them.

Earlier this week I went out into the nice spring weather, happily wearing a floral blouse (unlike my usual sweater or t-shirt and jacket uniform) and the entire day I fought with my (not Aphrodite) crossbody bag strap, which kept popping my buttons open.

Yesterday was a bold experiment - blouse with shoulder bag. The Aphrodite is also incredibly comfortable to carry on the shoulder! I thought the short strap might make the bag feel chunky but it's actually super easy.

And the carmel color is so rich and versatile for pairing with bright colors.

View attachment 5790244

I'll try the same tomorrow!

Reactions: bagnut1