Gucci 100th Anniversary

I absolutely loved the bamboo bags and everything Gucci heritage related.
However, I personally don't like the Balenciaga collaboration as I'm not a Balenciaga fan, but I understand why they did it, taking into account the popularity of Balenciaga.
I've attached a tote bag with bamboo handle - which I really love.
Plus some Gucci x Balenciaga for reference for others.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-143338_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-143338_Twitter.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20210415-140138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-140138_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20210415-135959_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-135959_Chrome.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20210415-135953_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-135953_Chrome.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20210415-135252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-135252_Chrome.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 82
I absolutely loved the bamboo bags and everything Gucci heritage related.
However, I personally don't like the Balenciaga collaboration as I'm not a Balenciaga fan, but I understand why they did it, taking into account the popularity of Balenciaga.
I've attached a tote bag with bamboo handle - which I really love.
Plus some Gucci x Balenciaga for reference for others.

I thought it was really weird to 'hack' Balenciaga for the collection that was supposed to ref the history of Gucci.

The Spanish couturier, his Parisian House, architectural and modernist couture designs were light years away from Gucci's 'almost affordable' leather-goods and accessories empire.

Even references to Bals' consecutive CDs are not really there for me.

It's dressed as an artistic vision but it's really based on marketing and figures from Kering data research, recommendations from economists.

I just think:
a) Kering thought it would be a good idea to use Gucci's huge centenary event for publicity and photo-op for Bal because Bal is still not in it's first 3 companies performance wise even though Kering spend a fortune on it. Kering still has to 'bury' Bal in 'Other Houses' not to show the mismatch between publicity/expenditure and profit (Kering Press Release Annual Results).
b) The largest luxury market atm is China, Gucci continues to need China, China appreciates 21st century Bal best.
c) Bal leather-goods are made in Gucci factories so it's easy to negotiate logistically for manufacture (note Hourglass bag).
d) Alessandro Michele is in trouble at Gucci ATM and they (Kering) are rethinking.

It's a 'hack' and not a 'collab' because no one at Bal had anything to do with it. It was an order 'from above' (IMO).

I do think those Gucci X Bal pieces are going to become collector's pieces and there is a part of me that likes them (especially the silver jacket) because I adore both esteemed houses. There are just nicer things for me to buy from this collection though.

I thought it was really weird to 'hack' Balenciaga for the collection that was supposed to ref the history of Gucci.

The Spanish couturier, his Parisian House, architectural and modernist couture designs were light years away from Gucci's 'almost affordable' leather-goods and accessories empire.

It's dressed as an artistic vision but it's really based on marketing and figures from Kering data research, recommendations from economists.

I just think:
a) Kering thought it would be a good idea to use Gucci's huge centenary event for publicity and photo-op for Bal because Bal is still not in it's first 3 companies performance wise even though Kering spend a fortune on it. Kering still has to 'bury' Bal in 'Other Houses' not to show the mismatch between publicity/expenditure and profit (Kering Press Release Annual Results).
b) The largest luxury market atm is China, Gucci continues to need China, China appreciates 21st century Bal best.
c) Bal leather-goods are made in Gucci factories so it's easy to negotiate logistically for manufacture (note Hourglass bag).
d) Alessandro Michele is in trouble at Gucci ATM and they (Kering) are rethinking.

It's a 'hack' and not a 'collab' because no one at Bal had anything to do with it. It was an order 'from above' (IMO).

I do think those Gucci X Bal pieces are going to become collector's pieces and there is a part of me that likes them (especially the silver jacket) because I adore both esteemed houses. There are just nicer things for me to buy from this collection though.

I love how well you've put this together. Totally agreeing.

Can't wait for it to come on sale as there were so many pieces I liked.

Reactions: papertiger
Awful bag.
Why would a B hung from a Gucci bag?
Poor execution and simply weird.

It's definitely a thing that counterfeiters do too (which is probably where the idea came from - we've all seen them). The bag will be a talking point (hence we're talking).

AM likes to play around with that fake/real vibe. Sometimes I don't think he realises we're usually OK without people laughing at us all the time when we go out.

I like the Hourglass, I don't mind the GG sig-print but not together. I don't like the dangling 'B' even on the original design at Balenciaga, and I guess I'm more a purist than a postmodern commentator with my designer gear. I can do (non-counterfeit) postmodern-jokes myself at a fraction of the cost.

Loving all the leather/snaffle harnesses though. I am going to turn myself into a Gucci pony to celebrate 100 years. If people wanna laugh, I will just neigh along :biggrin:.

I just think:

I totally agree. I got the same feeling with the DiorxRimowa colab... Rimowa being the brand that needs to reach a greater audience and elevate the perception of the brand.

I love some of the vintage looking and non-hack pieces here, but the hack pieces to me, are something out of a logomania nightmare. When I saw pictures of some of the pieces in the news earlier, I thought it was a kind of a social commentary art project where they just put a bunch of brands and logos together on a single pieces.