GRRRRRR . . . Ebay Cheap Skates (A little Long)

Jul 9, 2007
I recently embarked on my first LV-selling event on Ebay. My poor damier speedy 25, purchased back in August, just wasn't used enough and I was still drooling over the Damier Azur Speedy 30. So I finally made the painful decision to sell the ebene to fund the purchase of the azur.

So I settled on an opening price that would make me happy even if there was only one bid and I listed her. Oh boy, did the questions roll in.

Not about the authenticity or the condition, but from people who wanted to buy it cheaper than the starting price. Hello!! If I would sell it for less I would have made the opening bid lower!!

They weren't good bids either. I had twelve people offer me less than $350 for a $595 (now $650) bag that is less than six months old. I don't think so. :tdown:

I guess there is no harm in asking, but it offended me a little bit and I'm not entirely sure why.

I made a standard response thanking them for their interest and letting them know that at the time, I would not accept any offers under the starting bid.

Just wondering if anyone else had run into crazy questions/offers when tackling Ebay.

this hasn't happened to me, but i heard it happens all the time, especially with the BIN or Best offer listings. You should go to the eBay forum of tPF, there's a thread called "Laughable Best offers"...you'd be amazed at the crazy offers some people get. Seriously, some people get offers for $5 on bags worth over $500. insane!

edit: can't seem to find that thread, but found another similar one:

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/whats-most-rid-paethic-offer-you-ever-got-160837.html

I sold quite a few of my LV's on Ebay and almost always had the same question as you. People always try to get stuff cheaper :smile: And on the Ebay of my country, LV sells for way less than in the US, so it's even worse!
But just stick to your asking price and see what happens. I held on to a bag that didn't sell for the price I wanted, because I didn't think it was worth selling it for a lower price. A few months later, I tried again, and sold it for more than I asked :yes:
Good luck selling!

Yes, there are definitely some annoying people on ebay. I have sold a few bags and accessories and it is very stressful. I can understand someone maybe asking you if you would take less, but to make a ridiculous offer is just wasting your time. I once had someone offer me $700 on a bag with a buy-it-now of $1400. Ridiculous.

Oh and just wait until people start asking for more pictures. I always show a ton of pics to prove authenticity and people still ask for more. Then I send more and I get no response. It is soooo annoying. Now I will no longer send more pictures.

Oh yeah definitely...I had a few offers of $150-$200 for my Vavin PM (newly replaced handles)!! The bag now retails for $900+!! I understand why you'd feel offended as if you're going to take the silly offers!!

Yes, there are definitely some annoying people on ebay. I have sold a few bags and accessories and it is very stressful. I can understand someone maybe asking you if you would take less, but to make a ridiculous offer is just wasting your time. I once had someone offer me $700 on a bag with a buy-it-now of $1400. Ridiculous.

Oh and just wait until people start asking for more pictures. I always show a ton of pics to prove authenticity and people still ask for more. Then I send more and I get no response. It is soooo annoying. Now I will no longer send more pictures.

i don't see anything wrong with asking for more pictures. :confused1: i've sold LV bags on ebay and even though i provided ~10 pictures to prove authenticity (heatstamp, datecode, etc), in the listing i always say i'd be happy to provide more pictures if necessary (and i am). i don't think if it's annoying..if someone is going to plunk down $1000 for a bag, i understand if they're want to be 1000% sure it's in the condition as it is described. people have different opinions on what "great condition" means; to some that means it's in like-new condition, to others it means there could be a few pen marks here and there. so that's usually why people ask for extra pictures of the inside of bags, underside of bags, etc.

also, if you read the "eBay Safety tips" thread in the eBay subforum you will see that a lot of people ask for additional pictures just to make sure that the seller actually has the item (because pictures could always be stolen, as we all know). if i ask for more pictures and a seller doesn't respond, i don't bid. for all i know they could be hiding something (e.g. area of bag not pictured is very worn/damaged somehow). or they could actually not have the item pictured (pictures stolen from another auction).

and about the no response thing, you can't expect that everyone who asks for pictures and receives them will reply and bid on your item. a lot of times i get the add'l pictures i requested and i end up not bidding, because something else comes along that i like better. or, maybe i did bid on it (using esnipe) but i was outbid at the last minute, so my bid doesn't even show up.

Ebayers can be so annoying a few months back I listed a brand new, never used bag for $500, over $150 off retail. An ebayer email me and said " I would not pay more than $200 for your used bag". I replied saying the bag was brand new. She had the nerve to email back to say "Not matter I am not paying more than $200". I was so annoyed that I wrote back "Well, don't bid on it" :hysteric:

I understand your frustrations too. BUT.....I always make offers on new listings just to see how low the seller will go. Some sellers really do not care that much about what their things sell for. They just want to get rid of them and make space for shopping. Those are the types I LoVe....lol

Maybe you should consider adding the "Automatically decline offers less than xxx $" function on eBay to take care of the low-ballers.

Oh man yes. My most recent one was I listed my Cabas Piano for sale last week and I got a TON of offers for ridiculous BIN's. One was for $150! Are these people crazy?! Also, I don't think people read descriptions, I would get questions asking me things that are plainly stated in the description. I do feel bad though because I don't make crazy offers but I do like getting deals. Last night I won a Damier Speedy 25 for $333!! I am really excited though because it will be my first Damier piece. Good Luck!!

These people are always going to be around. I'd listed a Gucci mini bag several years ago and my starting price was $350 (bag was originally $750) and someone offered me $50 for it!! I'd made an offer once for a bag I'd wanted but reasonable enough so the seller would either accept or decline (declined hehe). Anyway, good luck!

Cinderela4282, I am just wondering where you are located. I sold my Damier Azur speedy 30 two months ago for $600 at Craigslist.Vancouver. I bought the bag for about a year but only used it for less than 5 times. The bag is practically brand new. I had quite a few offers but they were over $500. Also, there is no other ebay or paypal fee involved and the buyer can actually see the bag before she pays for it. I am not sure you have craigslist at where you live, but it's for sure handy. Plus there are a lot of demand for the Damier speedy. Good Luck!

Are you kidding me...I sold my Pomme Bedford(New) and one girl kept emailing me. She started at $300.00 and just kept going up $25.00. I told her that if I didn't get my price it looked as if I would be using a Pomme Bedford this spring...lol
She actually bought the bag and never paid for it so I had to relist it!! Big pain in the :censor:!!

ebay is obviously known for its great deals, but more importantly as an outlet for ppl who DO NOT want to pay anything near FULL price.
so you will have the occasional (or handfuls of) delusional buyers :true:
don't worry, i'm sure someone sane will come along and pick up your speedy for a reasonable price :jrs: