Grrr...Coach won't/can't repair my bag

GoStanford

O.G.
Jun 28, 2012
Just had to vent. I got a Kristin baby sage satchel last summer at Factory at a great price...was cleaning out my receipts in December and must have shredded this - my mistake!

After being carried less than 10 times and carefully, one of the plastic/embossed edges on a handle is peeling. I took it back to the same Factory and they couldn't help me - two SAs kept telling me to take it to a cobbler or touch it up with permanent marker. Sorry but I am not applying marker to my almost-new bag!

Then I talked to Coach online CS and they told me to take it to FP, which I did. FP took one look and said, "Oh that happens on all plastic edges," and they pointed to a new Legacy Rory out on display and said all the edges eventually will do that. Is that true?? After minimal use? The SA told me the edges are made by stretching two pieces of plastic and eventually the seam will give way.

And she said that Coach repairs will only do hardware/buckles/zippers but not the leather or handles themselves. I had a vintage bag repaired last year by Coach but it was minimal work - removing some dried glue all along a pocket, basically, as the bag was bought NIB from somebody who stored it.

Argh - so mad that I got rid of the receipt AND the handle is peeling! I offered to bring in my credit card receipt and I had all the original tags and care card but it has to be the original receipt.

OK now I'm done venting about this. Keep your receipts!!!

Oh my gosh, that sounds terrible! That is not normal after the amount of times you've used it. People return/exchange all the time without receipts if something is damaged. I would call customer service again and tell them you'd like to send it in for repair and that taking it in to the store wasn't much help. Honestly, they may not be able to fix it but they should let you exchange, return or give you a coupon letter. Receipt or not, don't let this go.

I have had SA's tell me the edge sealant is not repairable either. I understand that, handles get the most wear/abuse. One if the rehabbers can tell you what to do for it, I think.

Thank you for your suggestions! It's great knowing that TPF is so active that even this late at night people will respond and empathize!

That's terrrible! Did they try to find your purchase in their system? If that doesn't work then here's a link to info on Coach's repair service. Maybe there is something they can do to fix or you can at least get a credit towards something else.

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/genWCM-10551-10051-en-/Coach_US/CustomerService/ProductInformation/Repairs

Factory did not try to look up my purchase - I asked them if they could, and the SA said their computer doesn't let them do that, but that soon they will have the ability to do it...? Not sure why they can't look it up now.

Oh my gosh, that sounds terrible! That is not normal after the amount of times you've used it. People return/exchange all the time without receipts if something is damaged. I would call customer service again and tell them you'd like to send it in for repair and that taking it in to the store wasn't much help. Honestly, they may not be able to fix it but they should let you exchange, return or give you a coupon letter. Receipt or not, don't let this go.

I agree...I think I will be persistent on this because I honestly known that I have babied this bag and it has been sitting on a shelf most of the last few months. Maybe the repairs department will surprise me and be able to fix it! Now I just have to spend some time prepping the package, and it'll cost something with shipping and the repairs fee, but at least I'll feel like I gave it a complete shot.

I agree with the other posters, either send it to JAX with the form or Call Jax to see what you can do. It's not right.

Thank you for understanding!

Hey- if it's just a matter of cracked sealant, you might want to repair this yourself with Fiebing's EdgeKote. It works. I used it to repair my Legacy Leigh's strap, where the sealant was badly damaged, and it worked very well.

I think I bought mine from Amazon, and it's not expensive (around $5 for a big bottle).

Hey- if it's just a matter of cracked sealant, you might want to repair this yourself with Fiebing's EdgeKote. It works. I used it to repair my Legacy Leigh's strap, where the sealant was badly damaged, and it worked very well.

I think I bought mine from Amazon, and it's not expensive (around $5 for a big bottle).

I will look into it - thanks for the tip. In my case the smooth sealant is mostly OK but the embossed surface of the handle is peeling a
Bit.

Then I talked to Coach online CS and they told me to take it to FP.........

Just a quick note to say, we coach.com chat reps are NOT CS, we are only there to help with shopping for items on coach.com, we have NO CS abilities at all, we can only help with the VERY basics on coach.com, which is why you were referred to your store for help with that.

I had gotten a Kristen at the factory, used it less than 1 month, on the front pocket flap next to the hardware, the python embossed area started to peel up on the egde ... brought it to FP, they sent it out for free.... 3 weeks later I got an email from ,y store, Bag could not be repaired I could choose either 1. to get my bag back, or 2. credit for the FULL price of the bag (plus tax), not the factory price.... what do you think I chose?
Excellent Service !!!

Just a quick note to say, we coach.com chat reps are NOT CS, we are only there to help with shopping for items on coach.com, we have NO CS abilities at all, we can only help with the VERY basics on coach.com, which is why you were referred to your store for help with that.

Didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying - that will help me frame my live chat questions next time. Glad you work for Coach and can shed light on this! Smiles!

I had gotten a Kristen at the factory, used it less than 1 month, on the front pocket flap next to the hardware, the python embossed area started to peel up on the egde ... brought it to FP, they sent it out for free.... 3 weeks later I got an email from ,y store, Bag could not be repaired I could choose either 1. to get my bag back, or 2. credit for the FULL price of the bag (plus tax), not the factory price.... what do you think I chose?
Excellent Service !!!

Wow! I agree excellent service! One thing that mildly frustrates me is the variable CS depending on the store. On the other hand many of you seem to have good SA relationships and get calls about new bags etc. Overall my experience with Coach has been very good.