Grr, Stephen Fry...

Little Tiger

Dec 10, 2007
I like him on the whole, but was really put out by his recent comments:

‘If women liked sex as much as men, there would be straight cruising areas in the way there are gay cruising areas... It doesn’t happen.
'Why? Because the only women you can have sex with like that wish to be paid for it.’

The thing that irritates me about that is that it's illegal to cruise/indulge in sex in public places like this; so quite apart from the other risks, women would generally avoid quickies in this way because of safety/emotional void. It does NOT mean they are not as interested in sex as men!

It just means the men who do this must get a rise (pardon the pun) out of the risk & anonymity; and that however much women like sex, they would usually rather have it in context/safety.

Grrr.

Anyway if you think I am wrong, I look forward to hearing why :biggrin:

Wow...his response was long!

It's very well written, however, he's not clear on what he did actually say. I do think he should be a little more lucid about that, since it's in the public arena.

I have met the man before when I was a teenager, and he was very nice, and charming. But I still think he crossed the border here! I'm not one of those people who think he's a national treasure and wouldn't criticise him whatever he said.

He actually does mention what he was talking about in the The Hippo with Attitude section
Well, I chatted to this fellow on the day; he seemed very nice and very charming and we had a pleasant, relaxed and easy conversation. That’s the word, a conversation. I remember very little of it, but I can picture the narrow little room in which the latter part of it took place. At some point we chatted about gay sexuality – well, you would wouldn’t you, for a gay magazine? – and as part of that conversation I repeated the old canard about how men, unlike women, were cursed with their uniquely pressing and annoying libidos. Straight men I have known have often (of course mostly in a kind of bitter jest) said how much they envied gay people the simplicity of their erotic lifestyles (cottaging and cruising and so on) and I vamped for a while on that theme. I do not believe it as some kind of eternal gender truth, I was simply taking a thought for a walk, I was “playing gracefully with ideas” to repeat Oscar’s great phrase, or at least attempting to do so. But the important thing to remember is that the subject was not straight female sexuality, but gay male sexuality. It’s the only sexuality of which I have direct experience and how could I presume to speak of any other?

I was quite shocked when I heard what Stephen Fry 'said'. Then I remembered there are 3 sides to the story, the writer's, Fry's and the truth. Which calmed me down. I waited until I saw a response from Fry, and weighed the 2 stories to determine what I'm happy to believe.

I was quite shocked when I heard what Stephen Fry 'said'. Then I remembered there are 3 sides to the story, the writer's, Fry's and the truth. Which calmed me down. I waited until I saw a response from Fry, and weighed the 2 stories to determine what I'm happy to believe.

Of course ;)

He may have repeated a 'canard' but it appears he did that verbatim; it doesn't come across very well, though despite my 'grr' I'm not gunning for his blood or anything.

It just seems very silly. I wouldn't even describe cottaging as a sex urge, it seems like a desire for contact taken to extreme. And personally I wouldn't make it illegal, unless it alarmed little old ladies going for a walk. In which case c'mon, take it home (or at the very least behind a very prociferous bush)

His comments didnt irritate me, it just amused me. I have just posted something probably equally as silly about women anyway because it was amusing..

Besides..hes kinda telling the truth..being a woman I wouldnt want to have sex with just anybody, if I did I would at least rather be paid for it than doing it for free (I dont have any desire to trade sex for money just incase anyone thought I did!!)

Endless discussions with men have taught me to believe that men simply arent as picky (I dont know if this is true for gay men) and that they get a kick out of doing something "naughty"