Growth on Cat's Nose

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
We have an almost 16 year old cat who all of a sudden sprouted a growth on his nose sometime early 2010. It doesn't hurt him or itch him or bother him in any way but sometimes it seems bigger or more pronounced than other times. I am not really worried about it since it's not bothering him or spreading, just REALLY curious as to what it might be. Any ideas?

2011-01-02_22-08-02_339.jpg

Take him to your vet to get the growth removed. If your vet is concerned, your vet will do a biopsy on it to see if it's benign or not. Let us know how it goes.
Gorgeous kitty BTW. He looks like he's doing well for 16. What's his name?

His name is Darius and when his eyes are open they are blue. He is DH's cat and looks to be a Flame Point but who really knows. He was the only white one in the litter and looks like his Mom. He acts like he's about three. :biggrin:

Take him to the vet. They can do a biopsy and give you results within a few minutes. My husband's cat has something similar (she is 15) and the vet said it was a massed cell tumor; these are almost always benign in cats, but malignant in dogs. Best to get him checked out so you can not think about it.

I love the name Darius - he's a beautiful boy. I agree with other posters here - get him to the vet to have it checked out. This happened to our family dog years ago - it was benign, thank goodness.
Good luck!

Hey buzzy, I agree with what the other posters have said about having Darius checked out.

I had a cat that had a similar bump appear right outside her left eyelid when she got a little older, and at the time the vet said to ignore it unless it grew or changed. But, when it started to grow a bit, he reconsidered and we had it removed.

It was benign, and she actually did very well through the procedure, even though she was about 15 at the time.

I know it's scary, especially for an older kitty, but you'll feel so much better when you know what it is and what the vet recommends.

Good Luck...let us know what they say!

I guess I will make an appt for him this week. It wasn't concerning me because it hasn't effected him - no loss of appetite, change in behavior, etc. Better safe than sorry!

I guess I will make an appt for him this week. It wasn't concerning me because it hasn't effected him - no loss of appetite, change in behavior, etc. Better safe than sorry!

And you know what, buzzy, it's probably nothing. Like I said about Dakoda's bump on her head, I ignored it for years until it did change a little bit, and it turned out to still be nothing. It will just give you peace of mind to know for sure. :flowers:

One of my boys has developed about 3 bumps (one large on his back) and 2 the vet was not worried about (but to keep an eye on it), we had the larger one on the back checked, they put a needle in, and said based on the findings under scope that it was mostly fatty tissue. But to beware, and keep an eye on it, because cancerous items can begin in the middle of fatty tissue, so if it got bigger fast we'd need to re-visit another sampling.

I'd take him to the vet and get it checked out just to be safe, but I will say that due to my past experiences with cats, I'm 95% sure this is nothing at all.