Group says 'fake' fur on coat at Macy*s is real

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Group says "fake" fur on coat at Macy's is real

Sun Dec 17, 10:00 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An animal rights group on Friday accused Macy's of selling a coat with a real animal fur collar even though it was advertised as fake fur.

The Humane Society of the United States said a $237.99 Sean John Hooded Snorkel Jacket for sale on Macy's Web site was described as having an "imitation rabbit fur collar."

But the group said when it purchased the coat, the label read "Made in China" and "genuine raccoon fur." The group said it is testing the fur to see if it is from a raccoon dog, a type of dog raised in China whose fur resembles that of a raccoon.

In an e-mail statement sent to Reuters, Macy's parent Federated Department Stores Inc. said the retailer has a policy against selling dog or cat fur, and any "inappropriate or inaccurately" labeled products would be removed from its stores and Web site.

"The information brought to our attention today by the Humane Society of the United States will be promptly investigated and appropriate action will be taken," Federated said in the statement.

The accusations against Macy's come after the Humane Society earlier this week said Burlington Coat Factory was using real fur on jackets that it advertised as having fake fur.

The society said Burlington Coat Factory has since agreed to pull the ads from its stores and offered refunds to any consumers who may have inadvertently purchased the real fur garments.

The Humane Society has asked Macy's to stop selling garments trimmed with fur.

that sounds really weird to me - isn't real fur much more expensive than fake? why would designers use real fur but try to pass it off as fake and sell them at fake-fur prices?

^I'm pretty sure they use the dog fur on clothing for humans also.

I have a friend who wears alot of fake furry coats in the wintertime, half the time I'm not sure if it's her or a yetti approaching. heh it makes me wonder whether it is real...dog, cat...llama?

^I'm pretty sure they use the dog fur on clothing for humans also.

I have a friend who wears alot of fake furry coats in the wintertime, half the time I'm not sure if it's her or a yetti approaching. heh it makes me wonder whether it is real...dog, cat...llama?

Yea, I think dog and cat fur is on human clothing, too. I think it's a big industry in China. That's so sad.
I don't even wear fake fur with the fear of it looking real to other people, kind of like the issue here.

You know how, in souvenir shops, they have those models of sleeping cats? (They're curled up, in their baskets)?

The stickers on the bottom say "Made in China" and "Rabbit Fur."

I remember seeing something on the news saying that the 'rabbit fur' might actually be cat fur.

That's horrible! I think that if people want to buy real fur, they should, and if people don't feel right about it and would rather have fake fur, then they should have fake fur!

(And by real fur, I mean rabbit, not cat.)

That's like labelling something as a 'vegetarian dish' when it's got chicken broth in it!

You know how, in souvenir shops, they have those models of sleeping cats? (They're curled up, in their baskets)?

The stickers on the bottom say "Made in China" and "Rabbit Fur."

I remember seeing something on the news saying that the 'rabbit fur' might actually be cat fur.

I had no idea that that was real fur on those souvenirs!! I wonder why they sell them for so cheap if it's real fur.

And rabbit fur might be cat fur???:wtf: :crybaby:

It is true (rabbit fur on those fake sleeping animals in baskets) is actually cat fur-there was a CNN show on this, if you can stand to look closely you can tell-they just appeared at the local Walgreens and I am going to ask the manager to pull them-incredibly disturbing.