Gross Dog Habit...advice Needed!

2 of my dogs eat their poop. Solution for us? Pick them up before they eat it!!! But that is not always successful. I have tried the powder thing, etc., but just given up. LOL. As long as they don't eat in excess...

I spoke to a pet trainer when my dog was very young. He never did it, but she brought the subject up and said they do that because it smells funny and they're curious? She suggested changing their food. I guess certain flavor/ingredients have a weird smell to it.

it's so gross ! but my puppy does it tooooooo!!! But what we did realize was what ToxicGarden mentioned. We used to feed Apple veggies durring dinner (boiled - w/ no oil, spices). I figured it would be good for her health! But then i realized that THAT was what was causing her to eat poop! But next time I am at the doc i'm going to take everyone's suggestions and bring it up w/ the doc. good luck with your doggies!

DH said that his lab used to do it and his vet said that its nutritious and perfectly normal for them, and not dangerous. But yeah...YUCK! I suppose you could try to make sure he gets all his nutrients and then train him not to. Good luck! (but then again they lick their butts so eh what can you do)

LOL....Jill isnt that just the WORST!!! Violet used to eat my cats poop as Zackary was trained to poop outside...but he passed away so....that stopped. My girls are kind of gross about licking any sores we might have. I have a gash in my heel right now about as long as my middle finger and its oozing all sorts of liquid and I have to continously push them away as they want to lick it and lick it and lick it. EEEWWWW!!!

LOL, my girls like to lick boo boo's too......Our new puppy Daisy even comes running into the bathroom when we get out of the shower because she likes to lick our wet feet. I've caught both of them poop eating once or twice, but it has only happened a few times, we just try to keep them out of situations where they can do this. We always joke that the food we feed them must be soo good they want to go after it again, LOL and yuck! Anyway, this isn't unusual but not sure how to totally prevent it...

LOL....Jill isnt that just the WORST!!! Violet used to eat my cats poop as Zackary was trained to poop outside...but he passed away so....that stopped. My girls are kind of gross about licking any sores we might have. I have a gash in my heel right now about as long as my middle finger and its oozing all sorts of liquid and I have to continously push them away as they want to lick it and lick it and lick it. EEEWWWW!!!

My dogs want to lick cuts and wounds too. It is instinctive. I remember reading about a guy whose dog kept licking a spot on his leg (I think). Finally, guy had it checked out and he had cancer!!! The dog somehow knew it. I also read about studies where dogs were smelling the urine of people with some disease -- they determined the dogs could tell when the purson had the disease.

Dogs are amazing.

^OMFG,...IM LMAO!
Today..Im sitting at the kitchen table..eating....ick,....I look at the back window and see Ripley eating Einsteins poop as it hits the ground(I have 2 shibas....)..I really nearly threw up...UGH
He eats his own too....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...My dog is sooo demented...sigh....

^^ lol, you're tooooooooooo funny Jill!!! :roflmfao:...i saw puppies in a pet store eating their own poop today :P...and i knew someone's whose labradoodle puppy ate his own...like many other posters, my dog used to eat our cat's poop...we used to joke about him going to the "snack box" :throwup:...my best friend adopted my kitty because i'm allergic/asthmatic, but otherwise i'm sure he'd still be doing it!!!

My dog does is as well, i know its disgusting!!:throwup:
Buuut i asked the vet and apparently they do it because it gives them extra nutrients, why they cant live without eating poo i dont know!
Not sure if its true or dogs are just gross!

OH, This is a hilarious thread! My 1 year old Chihuahua eats his own poop and the poop of our Yorkie! On one hand it's nice to not have to pick up after them, but completely disgusting EEWWW! Then he burps and it smells like he just went again...Needless to say I DON'T let him lick me-ugh!
We tried the Deter Tabs after asking the Vet. He didn't care, and still ate it. I practically have to fight him for it. I wish there was something I could do because he is the Cutest, Sweetest dog ever. I have changed his food too and it doesn't seem to matter what I feed him. At least when i mix brown rice and cottage cheese in his dry food , nothing stinks when it comes out!

What an uncouth dog you have Jill! Have you checked to make sure he's not retarded??;)

Actually, this is quite common (though my dog is not a sh*t eater). I'm quite sure that in dog heaven there's tons of poop for them to play w/. I would use the command "Leave it" and actually walk him by the poop...if he goes for to eat it (ahem *Loser*) use the command and stomp your foot by it (not in the crap or on his foot). Reward him w/ a treat when he leaves it...keep doing this until he gets it.

Coprophagia can be fixed when the dog is eating it's own poop by feeding it pills that make the poop taste bad to them (yes, apparently poop can taste worse *gag*). I ordered some in for clients from petedge.com and they worked well... I should buy stock in the bloody company for having mentioned it so often on here, LOL!
Yep, supposedly this stuff really works. Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy Tour) has a stand up gig regarding his dog eating poop and having the Vet tell him to give the dog these pills to "make his turds taste bad." It is hilarious!

Just think of your dog as "self cleaning!!"

not much you can do. I took my pet to vet numerous times and all they could do is buy these pills which are suppose to make the poop taste bad. My chi' had 3 rounds of the pills and still does it every so often. Vet said she will grow out of it.