Gris T ostrich - help!

blusilv

All Things H...
Jan 8, 2010
I saw this beautiful Gris T ostrich at a reseller in Tokyo..

attachment.php

Trying it on with white gloves
attachment.php

Well I'm totally in :heart: now, but before I take the plunge would like to ask for some opinions on ostrich.

I have gone through previous threads on ostrich durability and all, and there are opinions that ostrich lightens under prolonged exposure to sunlight (a tpf-er was even told by one SA that it lightens under prolonged exposure to moonlight?!), and some say that ostrich will darken. For ostrich that darkens, again there are different camps and opinions as to whether ostrich darkens evenly on the main body (some had theirs darken evenly and some not so evenly), so well, I am very confused and would really appreciate if some experts could chime in!!

I understand about the handles darkening, I am fine and can live with that. What I really want to know is did the main body of most people's ostrich darken or lighten after time, and does the color of the ostrich matter? Ie do lighter colors darken and dark colors lighten or vice versa?

Most importantly, I really hope someone can tell me how does Gris T ostrich in particular wears with time. Is it possible for Gris T to lighten even further?? If it darkens, would anyone be able to share a picture of a Gris T ostrich darkening unevenly or evenly??

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments

• P1000060.JPG
    P1000060.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 970
  • 2(1).JPG
    2(1).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 864
I don't have gris T ostrich, but I have been told (and shown the edge of a roll of ostrich) by Claude at the Madison Ave store that when exposed to light, both lizard and ostrich eventually fade. He told me when we were discussing my gris fonce lizard KP, which is a similar grey color. His advice to me was to keep it in the dustbag when not in use, and to avoid sunlight if possible. Obviously, you want to use the bag, and during the day you can't avoid it, but you can still keep it from sitting directly in the sun. I've heard about the moonlight thing, too, but it's not something I worry about. If I recall correctly, the edge of the roll that Claude showed me didn't look so much "faded" to me as kind of yellowed.
I also remember seeing a fuchsia ostrich Bearn wallet in a display case at the Wall St. store. I don't know how long the wallet had been in the case (with artificial light) but I could tell it was obviously faded. When compared to a fresh swatch, the difference was striking.
As for ostrich darkening, I think that comes from exposure to oil (such as natural oil or lotion from the hand carrying the bag) and I have seen this in pictures of ostrich bag handles.

Last edited:
Ostrich is my favorite exotic, I have a perfect fuchsia ostrich and yes you have to care for it but not as much as you have to care for croc, or a light swift like say rose dragge. the handles are the only true point of extra care I put twillys on because they darken like say a barenia bag would darken. and by direct sunlight it is prolonged that is if you wear the bag out to lunch on a terrace or say shopping its not a problem. because your walking in and out of the sun.I was told the same thing for my bouganvillier and I wear my ostrich around bal harbor or texas,in the summer,never leave it and if we walk for over an hour then I put in my long champ.but that's really only in the extreme cases ,hope it helps darling . And in my opinion go for it !!!!!!!!!! It is divine perfect !!!!!!! Soft but intense elegant perfect combo with the hardware and naturally tye ostrich shows out perfect !!!!

Last edited:
I don't have gris T ostrich, but I have been told (and shown the edge of a roll of ostrich) by Claude at the Madison Ave store that when exposed to light, both lizard and ostrich eventually fade. He told me when we were discussing my gris fonce lizard KP, which is a similar grey color. His advice to me was to keep it in the dustbag when not in use, and to avoid sunlight if possible. Obviously, you want to use the bag, and during the day you can't avoid it, but you can still keep it from sitting directly in the sun. I've heard about the moonlight thing, too, but it's not something I worry about. If I recall correctly, the edge of the roll that Claude showed me didn't look so much "faded" to me as kind of yellowed.
I also remember seeing a fuchsia ostrich Bearn wallet in a display case at the Wall St. store. I don't know how long the wallet had been in the case (with artificial light) but I could tell it was obviously faded. When compared to a fresh swatch, the difference was striking.
As for ostrich darkening, I think that comes from exposure to oil (such as natural oil or lotion from the hand carrying the bag) and I have seen this in pictures of ostrich bag handles.

Thank you!! Was the fading for the fuschia very stark like a shade or two lighter? I am concerned that for the gris T it may fade to an almost white-ish grey, if it darkens then I am fine since I think a gray a shade or 2 darker with a lovely patina would be amazing, but I wouldnt know what to do if it faded! When not using and keeping the bag in storage, do you think there would be any fading of ostrich? I'm wondering how best to store the bag if i get it, if I keep the bag closed securely then would the part under the flap be eventually darker/lighter then the flap or should I leave it open when stored?

Ostrich is my favorite exotic, I have a perfect fuchsia ostrich and yes you have to care for it but not as much as you have to care for croc, or a light swift like say rose dragge. the handles are the only true point of extra care I put twillys on because they darken like say a barenia bag would darken. and by direct sunlight it is prolonged that is if you wear the bag out to lunch on a terrace or say shopping its not a problem. because your walking in and out of the sun.I was told the same thing for my bouganvillier and I wear my ostrich around bal harbor or my native texas,in the summer,never leave it and if we walk for over an hour then I put in my long champ.but that's really only in the extreme cases ,hope it helps darling . And in my opinion go for it !!!!!!!!!! It is divine perfect !!!!!!! Soft but intense elegant perfect combo with the hardware and naturally tye ostrich shows out perfect !!!!

Thanks birkel, can I just find out if the main body of your fuschia pr bouganvillier has darkened or lightened with time? Also, is the change of color uniform across the body or does it occur in patches? Finally, how do you store your bags? Hehe, sorry for the many questions!! :hugs:

Thank you!! Was the fading for the fuschia very stark like a shade or two lighter? I am concerned that for the gris T it may fade to an almost white-ish grey, if it darkens then I am fine since I think a gray a shade or 2 darker with a lovely patina would be amazing, but I wouldnt know what to do if it faded! When not using and keeping the bag in storage, do you think there would be any fading of ostrich? I'm wondering how best to store the bag if i get it, if I keep the bag closed securely then would the part under the flap be eventually darker/lighter then the flap or should I leave it open when stored?

The fuchsia fading that I saw was pretty significant, but the color was still pretty. And it was uniform in that all the exposed part of the wallet looked to be the same color throughout.
I would think that during storage, if you keep it covered, it wouldn't fade on its own, since there is no light exposure. I would store it like I store any other bag -- inside the dustbag that is then closed. If you want to be extra careful I guess you could put the dustbag in the box too. I keep my lizard KP in the bag and in the original box, but that is because I don't use it too often.

I have to say, I love GT ostrich. It's a beautiful color. I think you should go for it and enjoy it. Even if you use it in the sun and it fades a little, that is just part of life. Everything changes a little each day.

babe i am goin to sleep but i just wanna say, you have a very strong person...how can you managed toooo walk away from the store in japan without grabbing the grisT ostrich????? howwww?

darling my fuchsia ostrich has been cared for the bag is stored with her sisters jajaja standing up with fill air inside their boxes inside their sleeper bags I do not close the boxes because it's a hastle and I like the way they keep their shape better when standing. and I enjoy my bags the color has not shifted at all and it is a summer bag that I have worn a lot in Miami Texas Monaco and even Dubai, all hot places. and because I go in and out of places or move around it has not changed at all if we sit at a terrace or open space I put in my long champ maxi but it's not as bad I feel like they are giving you a tip that you should listen too but it won't limit you , my bouganvillier is T.C they said be careful because it's an over shade theese are the ones that change more. since Gris T is a softer shade it's harder for it to fade darling. if you like the bag get it put twillys on and enjoy it, caring for it yes but enjoying it in my experience my most delicate bag that I eventually sold was a rose dragge swift much more delicate than ostrich.... besides ostrich ages beautifully and gets very nice patina,hope it helps best. birkel.

blusilv, I have the exact Bag, and must say that I love it more and more!
It's been 3-4 years and the colour has just slightly darkened (like a patina) evenly over the entire bag. The darkening doesn't really affect the Gris T colour, it just looks less washed out than when I first bought it. It also doesn't detract away from the beauty of the bag IMO....the last time I carried it, I had compliments on it too...;)

I wrap the handles in Twillies after the first year or so of carrying the bag so the discrepancy in the darkening isn't too obvious. I store all my Birkins in their Dustbags in a room with curtains, away from direct sunlight, and a dehumidifier to prevent moulds. HTH!

Last edited:
I have several birdies, including GT, and maybe I can chime in.

Ostrich discolors over time no matter how you store/use it. It simply WILL. I always wrap the handles in twillies and rests them in their dustbags in my dark closet. But over the years, ALL of them have discolored in varying degrees. It is not only fading due to sunlight or darkening due to handling. It can be oxidized just by the humidity in the air.
Lighter colors become more yellow (hence I prefer birds in darker colors).

My advise is that you buy it if you love it. Birds have exceeding qualities that outweight discoloration anyway. But remember to store it with your flap tucked in so that when it discolors (not if), at least it's even on the same panel.

Hope this helps!

Tammy d so use ful I usually do store open but you are so right my one bird as you refer to them being pink has not shown much but I guess eventually it will but if you can because I'm waiting on 2 baby ostriches which one to tou has evolved better out of the darker ones ????? And if say you go for a more clear color what would it be thankyou darling.

Birkel, in just 2 years, I can see the body of my fuchsia bird becoming more yellow and slightly darker and glossier than the flap, which I always use and store tucked in. For GT it is the same but less obviously because the grey tones do not show off darkening as badly. Ditto for my bleu roi ostrich and VA bird.

My favorite color would be marron fonce for ostrich - sometimes called ebene or even havanne mistakenly. It is chocolate brown. It doesn't show darkening (because it is already sexy dark) and of all my birds, it is the only piece that looks beautiful with the aging patina IMO. The rest, with discoloration and patina, frankly just looks, well, old. All still gorgeous yes, but none as sexy elegant than marron fonce.

That's a beatiful bag, I would love to have it - I really love that shade on ostrich, as it doesn't have the greeny tone of some of the other neutrals. A true classic and as it's on your want list then go for it!

babe i am goin to sleep but i just wanna say, you have a very strong person...how can you managed toooo walk away from the store in japan without grabbing the grisT ostrich????? howwww?

LOL it wasn't as difficult as you would expect since it was at a resellers and not the actual store and the price was astronomical even for Japan, after "discount" the bag still cost more than a nilo croc in Europe!!