Greyhounds - does anyone here have any?

I currently have 3 Greyhounds and am active with a Greyhound rescue group. My 3 are the sweetest (try telling an 80 pound dog he is not a lap dog) most loving dogs I have ever met. They are happy to lay around in whatever room their people are in. I also have 9 cats. The Greys know they are at the bottom of the food chain here. I have one 6 pound cat they will NOT walk past in the hallway because she swats at them. They are not brave dogs. One of mine is afraid of flys landing on him the other is afraid of thunder. Those are the 2 boys. The female is of course afraid of nothing. If you just want a companion, not a watch dog or working dog a Greyhound would be great for you. The best thing you can do is find a Greyhound rescue in your area and go to a "meet and greet". You will get to meet some Greys and ask all the questions you can think of. You can check out this Greyhound chat board and ask any questions there (or PM me) www.Greytalk.com
I hope you do adopt one. You will fall in love.

I have been rescuing greyhounds for 15 years. Have had well over 200 dogs pass through my home in that time.

They are one of my favorite breeds of dogs. Mellow, clean, usually quiet (not too much barking). They don't ever get that 'doggy' smell some dogs get.

Currently I don't have a GH, but I got through my rescue a Scottish Deerhound mixed with greyhound. He is a dopey 80 pound puppy (16 months old)!

Feel free to PM me for more info on greyhounds.

Many years ago, we adopted a Greyhound from a rescue. Zena was a wonderful dog. She was 5 when we got her and we had her until she was 11. We had to put her down at 11.

She was so sweet and such a big couch potato. We had a loveseat in our family room that we referred to as Zena's couch. She was on it 24/7.

Greyhounds (at least ours), are not very domesticated and they have difficulty going up and down steps. So, she stayed downstairs all the time. We had to put a rug from the family to the kitchen so that she wouldn't slip on the kitchen floor as she was going out to go potty or eat.

We have downsized quite a bit since having her and now have toy poodles.

I always think of her and love to see people with Greyhounds.

Actually, Hermes makes a scarf with Greyhounds on it that I am planning on getting soon, hopefully.

I would say the only con that I found to having a Greyhound was that her teeth were horrible. We were always having to clean them. I think a lot of that had to do with her diet prior to coming to us. I don't think some of them are fed very well.

I saw some retired race dogs at the mall once. They are very gentle dogs, I think they do a lot of sleeping.

I really like greyhounds, they are one of my favorite dogs. Good luck if you choose to adopt one!

This past weekend, I went to a street festival in the 'burbs, and one of the exhibits there was for the Chicagoland Greyhound Rescue... Of course, being a huge animal lover, I had to go up and pet all the doggies... There were about 5 or 6 greyhounds there, (some with their owners, some in foster care available for adoption), and they were all just darling... One, a young male, came and leaned the entire weight of his enormous body against me, practically begging me to lavish all my attention on him :biggrin:

The owners I spoke with talked about what wonderful dogs they are, how they're completely mellow and total couch potatoes, how they're great with kids, old people, and other animals alike... And particularly, how they're great for apartment dwellers because they like to just lay around and really only need one walk per day...

I can't have pets in my apartment :crybaby: but if I could, they'd be one of the first breeds I'd consider... they're beautiful dogs, and I :heart::heart::heart: them!

I have 2 whippets but my parents race greyhounds and also have 2 retired greyhounds as pets. They are the most beautiful dogs in the world. My father was a greyhound trainer when I was young and I had a cat that I found on the street and adopted and sometimes my Dad would give the greyhounds a run around the property and they would race up to the cat to attack it and the cat would swipe the dogs and they would run away as fast as they could. They really are just great big softies.

Greyhounds are the best! They were my college mascot so we always had greyhound rescue groups on campus. Like everyone has said they are very gentle, loving dogs.

I would love to adopt one some day. We currently have a min pin and an italian greyhound. I had to break the hubby in with small dogs first. Can't imagine having 3 dogs right now either.

They are really beautiful dogs

a good friend of mine in grade school had two retired greyhounds, and they were the sweetest, laziest, friendliest, most gentle dogs i have ever met in my entire life. totally different personality than i ever expected the breed to have. their temperment was literally perfect (as a comparison, i love Cassie Mae, my english bulldog, but her temperment is FAR from perfect! she's stubborn and she does what she wants!), i never once saw them disobey or do anything but be complete angels.

He's gorgeous! :smile: I love this breed, y'all should post more pics!!:heart:

Danica, Razor says thank you for noticing! When I am walking him, people I pass always say "Oh, he is so handsome" or "What a good looking dog"...when I say thank you I feel silly since it isn't like I had anything to do with his looks! I started saying, "Thanks I think so too!" that makes it seems like I am not taking credit! So, thanks I think so too!