Greetings from Shanghai

Hi Deluxeduck! Hope you are having fun, is LV in Shanghai cheaper than US prices?

China (excluding Hong Kong) imposes high import tax on luxury goods, so most foreign brands are marginally higher here. Local LV stores are usually frequent by insanely rich Chinese. :rolleyes:

Here's the price quotes that I've gotten recently:-

Speedy 30 Monogram (M41526) retails at HKD5150 (approx.USD 659 nett in HK) and RMB5800 (approx. USD802 nett in China)

Some people (especially the insanely rich Chinese) probably don't have the time to travel just to buy bags from Hongkong or anywhere else cheaper. Some of them probably also can't wait for a holiday to buy bags, especially those seasonal/limited edition products.

If you are that super rich, spending extra $200 for a Speedy is probably nothing to them. >.<;;

Recently I had a talk with the manager of a Beijing store, and this manager told me that most of their customers are new walk-in customers. So I would imagine that not just China's economy is booming, but these customers probably don't know much about LV products and where they can buy cheaper LV (eg. in Hongkong).

There were other few things that make China's luxury market unique compared to other countries. It was a very interesting topic to talk about.

hmmm.... something about the price seems not right. I know more than a year ago I too mentioned that prices in China are about 30% more than the USA. However since my last trip, I did a fast calculation in my head when I was looking at the shoes in the Beijing boutique (the one in the hotel... the street starts with a D or J....?? see, my Chinese is horrible.... LOL!) , and the prices were just about the same as Canadian prices. This was before the Canadian dollar increased in value, but I usually pay about 14% tax here, so basically, the prices are very similar to the Canadian price imo. So it doesn't really make much of a difference for me.

As for fakes, yes, there are a lot, but I've never been smothered by any sellers to buy one. I don't htink they really care.

There are lots of rich Chinese people nowadays. They come out at night.

Hope you're enjoying your trip there. My BF is back to China for his New year too. He' s now in Beijing and he said it's a lot more expensive than HKG and Thailand. It's kinda cold there now, isn't it? Have fun...

thanks again everyone! im glad we left just in time :sweatdrop: the weather was already cold and very windy and it did hail lightly just as we took off for London *WHEW!*