Green Amethyst Ring

Sep 23, 2006
Hello ladies,

I absolutely love this ring. It is a green amethyst and I am considering buying it on Friday. I still need to give it some time to think about it, but I loved it the minute I saw it and I can't stop thinking about it. I saw it in person and it is absolutely gorgeous. I don't have anything like it in my jewelry wardrobe either.I love the green color and the cushion cut. What do you all think? Is this a decent ring? Also, can anyone give me any other facts about green amethyst/quartz. I looked up some information, but I want to know is this color considered a good color for amethyst? Thanks!

http://shop.bjs.com/14k-White-Gold-...VproductId24186138VVcatId487263VVviewprod.htm

Attachments

• main-205.jpg
    main-205.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 102
First of all, I love it! I love cushion cuts too. To the best of my knowledge, green amethyst is also called prasiolite and I believe the stone is treated w/ heat to get the green color and does not occur naturally. I remember reading that somewhere, b/c I've considered it in earrings.

Elizat is right; the green color is manmade, it's produced by heating purple amethyst.

I think the ring is very pretty! I like that minty-green-with-a-hint-of-blue color. It sounds like you love it, so I say go for it! :tup:

If you feel that way about it don't let it be the one that got away!!!! Its very beautiful,I can imagine it looking stunning with an all black outfit,grey and in the summer time with nice pale linen trousers and a nice well cut white shirt, I actually see it being a real 'worker' with lots of things!Its very easily stylish, meaning I think you will find loads of ways of wearing it!

The color is just wonderful,and the diamond details make it very feminine.It looks to me from the picture what is called a buff top(completely faceted top section with no large table facet)that would make it surface glittery as well as sparkly from inside too,very,very pretty and as Elizat said cushion cuts are lovely,such a good shape.
The properties of it will be the same as usual amethyst,hardness etc as for color,I have to say the Topaz thats heat treated to make it bluer has a scale for good color etc,but with Prasiolite,I'm not too sure I have to be honest,I would think there would be but really it comes down to personal preference,I think that green is tdf!!! But someone else would be more switched on by a darker shade,just as some peeps like pale lilac amethyst and some prefer the much darker purple it comes in.
I'd say get it,have a look at a colored stones thread I posted on and you'll see what I mean!!!! Get it!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[coco];4436802 said:
Agree with all of the above... (but Chaz is my jewellery Guru so I am bias;))
it's gorgeous and I love that it looks so BIG!!!:yes: Very stylish......

Hello sweetie! How are you?? Its a gorgeous ring isn't it!!! I can see myself with that its a real honey!!!!!

Wow! thank you so much for your input everyone. I think I will buy it this Friday. What better way to start off the holiday than with a new piece of jewelry. I'm so excited now and I love the facts that you all shared with me about green amethyst. Thank you!

Wow! thank you so much for your input everyone. I think I will buy it this Friday. What better way to start off the holiday than with a new piece of jewelry. I'm so excited now and I love the facts that you all shared with me about green amethyst. Thank you!

Great!!! Good for you,I get the feeling from your first post this will be a total object of love for you for a very long time!!!

Next thing,pics when you've got it then we can all share share and congratulate!!!!!:heart::tup:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE green amethyst...but have not been able to get any straight or consistent answer from any suppliers or the experts I know. One friend and coworker says that there is a real natural "green" amethyst. Her fiance is a gemologist so I presume she would know what she's talking about. But I'm still skeptical.

But regardless...I am in love with this stone! I have several different cuts myself and am fascinated by how lovely it is.

Be sure to post model photos when you get it! :smile:

I have read that in parts of California, that purple amethyst does naturally turn to green amethyst. I read that the other day when I was looking up this particular stone. I love the color of green amethyst because it is nice and bright. It is a "happy stone" but still classy.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE green amethyst...but have not been able to get any straight or consistent answer from any suppliers or the experts I know. One friend and coworker says that there is a real natural "green" amethyst. Her fiance is a gemologist so I presume she would know what she's talking about. But I'm still skeptical.

But regardless...I am in love with this stone! I have several different cuts myself and am fascinated by how lovely it is.

Be sure to post model photos when you get it! :smile:

I must admit before I commited to commenting I checked it out,I trained as an FGA, gemologist,so I referred back to some of my old text and notes and it only says prasiolite is heat treated Brazilian amethyst nothing else,but they are finding new deposits of stuff all the time so its absolutely more than possible,still its gorgeous stone,I think the color is just divine!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://ezinearticles.com/?Green-Amethyst--The-Money-Colored-Gold&id=790096

This the where I got the article about it being found naturally in California/nevada border.

Amethyst is a variety of quartz and is a precious gemstone. Green amethyst is the green colored form of quartz, which is produced by artificially treating the amethyst with heat. The name amethyst has a Greek origin and comes from a methustos, which means "not intoxicate", means "not drunken". It was believed that this precious stone protected the wearer from intoxication. Amethyst was used as an antidote for drink. In those days, goblets for wine were made from amethyst.
It is also noticed that quartz can turn green due to natural heat, under certain climatic conditions. On the California-Nevada border, the green quartz is found in clusters of crystals. High temperatures from the volcanoes is said to be responsible for the color change of the quartz, and the birth of the green amethyst.
The crystal structure of the of this elegant stone is different from other quartzes. This could be the reason why we do not find many large cut amethysts with an even color. The color varies even on a single stone. Since amethyst changes color due to heat, one should be careful not to wear it in high temperatures or even during sunbathing, as some stones even change color at very low temperature of 250 degrees.
Many miraculous powers are attributed to this green amethyst in various cultures. It is said to bring good fortune and luck. This was liked by man princes and princesses from history. It was a known fact that green amethyst stone was symbolic of high ranking.
Beautiful jewelry pieces are created with the green amethyst. It looks enchanting when combined with diamonds. It's this rarity of the green amethyst that makes jewelers find ways of producing imitations.
This type of jewelry makes exclusive gifts for people that are close to us. A gift of a green amethyst ring brings a sparkle on the face of a beloved.
Green amethyst being rich, exotic, and rare, reveals the social status of a woman, who is sure to be the cynosure of all eyes. This green stone mixed with diamonds is made into rings, bracelets, and other beautiful jewelry and can even be combined with pearls.
This stone is the birthstone of people born in February. Green amethyst is also used by couples celebrating their sixth wedding anniversary. If you are a man, give it to your wife on your sixth anniversary and you will make her happy.

Herman Tumurcuoglu the author is an consultant of Diamond. You can find more information by clicking here about Green Amethyst.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Herman_Tumurcuoglu

Wow! Thanks for typing all that over!!! I suppose the crystal strucure could be described as almost metamict where its basic crystalline structutre has been altered,but not by particle bombardment but by heat.Its true that direct sunlight can alter the color of amethyst,I had a big twinned crystal on my window sill,Then when I got to that part in gemmology studies I checked it when I got home,and it had lost a lot of color,it had gone from a lovely rich purple to a quite soft violet,it was still pretty but I was gutted!!!!!

Its also nice to know it does occur naturally it gives it more credibility I think,and it derserves it as its so pretty!!! My FGA study notes really only covered the principal stones,so any extra info I picked up was my own studying outside of the ciriculum,or what you pick up in the trade,so all info is fab!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxx