Great places to shop in Houston?

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Hi guys!

I am flying to Houston in next week for two weeks--I am visiting my new baby niece and will be staying with my sister and brother in law.

I was wondering where there are great shopping places...especially designer outlets (if any) and such since there are none where I live in Canada.

I most likely won't be going shopping every day, since my sister and brother in law will have to take me and he has to work during the daytime, but I will be bringing $500 with me. I heard that shopping in the US is SO much cheaper than in Canada, so hopefully it'll be enough money!

If you could suggest some good places to shop (preferrably main malls, stores, etc. Nothing too hard to find) that'd be great!

Thanks!

Well, there's the Galleria Mall, at Westheimer and Post Oak (off the 620 Loop) There's NM, Saks, Nordstrom, Chanel, BV, LV, YSL, Versace, Armani, and tons of other stores.

Highland Village is on Westheimer, just inside the 610 loop from the Galleria. You would have to park and walk around, but there are lots of smaller shops, restaurants, and Tootsie's (fantastic clothes and shoes).

Uptown Park is off the 610 loop just up or down from the Galleria, depending on where you're coming from. Again, tons of very beautiful, but very spency shops.

The only discount mall I know about is Katy Mills, and that's WAAAAAY out I10 West freeway in Katy. Easily a 45 minute drive or more from the Galleria.

Rice Village is another cute shopping area near Rice University, at Kirby and University, It covers multiple blocks and has a mix of chain stores and small boutiques, including Lot 8, which is owned by the woman who won the first Project Runway. Very cute clothes.

Have fun! Houston is one of my favorite places. Everyone looks at me like I've lost my mind when I say that, but you're coming at a time when the weather actually has a chance to be beautiful. Plus, people are always very nice here.

Thanks for all the suggestions gga! My sister actually lives in Sugarland, how long is the drive from there to the main part of Houston?

Maybe 15 minutes? I can't remember exactly. I think you take 59 in from Sugarland? Check with your sister. If you do, then if you leave around 10 am, take 59 toward downtown, get off at 610, I think the next exit is Westheimer, so you're right at the Galleria, and very near Uptown Park and Highland Village. It should be a short drive, unless you try to do it in rush hour. Afternoon rush hour for 59 and I10 can be as early as 2:45-3pm, so you want to plan your trip around those hours. I NEVER get on the freeway before 9:30. It gets NUTS!

Shopping is fab in Houston. I'm sure other Houston tPF'ers will have great ideas. These are the ones I can think of right away.

Sugarland is VERY close to the Galleria:yes:
W/O traffic it's 10 minutes or so, with traffic could be 30 - there's a LOT of traffic in Houston, especially HWY 59 & loop 610.

the galleria, most definitely.
they have tons of designer stores
there. i'm not sure about the other
malls. but i know that baybrook mall
has a coach store and that's probably
about it. sorry if i wasn't much help ;/

hope you have a great stay in houston
and a safe flight? lol.

Awesome! How are the markdowns at the Saks Outlet?

I'd say about 30% first markdown off retail :yes: They vary widely by location though- some get a lot more designer items, while some are stocked with mid-level crap you'd never see a full-price Saks. My local store gets a lot of Coach, LAMB, Michael Kors, etc. along with limited amounts of Prada, Gucci, & Versace. Tons of Saks-brand items. They do have some great finds every now and then- recently my local store got in some Prada leather wallets in the full continental style for only $170.

Karman I'm sure you'll have a great time!! Houston is a shopping mecca- easily one of the top 5 shopping cities in the US. They did just open the Houston Premium Outlets- it has some nice stores but I don't know how far away it is:

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=77

I looked this up, and I looked at the map. This outlet mall should be way closer to Sugarland than Katy Mills would be. You'll have to get someone who knows "outside the loop" to tell you exact directions, because usually the Galleria is as far outside as I go.

I hate traffic.

PS: The highways you'll have to drive have lots of rush hour traffic, so plan your trip accordingly. In Houston, rush hour isn't as much a problem on 59 or 290 if you're going outside the loop in the morning and heading inside in the evening. You'll have much less stop and start.

I really, really hate Houston traffic. Avoiding it is almost an obsession with me. If you don't care, you're way ahead of the game, lol.