Great Int'l Transaction on Ebay

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Just wanted to share a *good* ebay experience.

I had a buyer with no feedback from another country who wanted me to ship to a friend here in the US....I know, I know, lots of red flags, and I tried to back out of the sale. However, after extensive communication with the buyer, I felt comfortable enough to complete the transaction. It went perfectly. I realize it's up to the individual seller and the amount of risk they want to assume, but I honestly feel that each transaction should be judged on an individual basis. COMMUNICATION IS KEY! That's why my auctions now say that I *may* engage in international transactions, it just depends on my comfort level with a specific buyer. There are alot of great international buyers out there who I'm sure would appreciate this courtesy. :yes:
    Just wanted to share a positive experience, as they do happen!

2. Thank YOU! Everytime I try to buy something from a US seller (I am from Asia), I always feel 'degraded' you know. They tend to treat the international buyers like we are all scammers and when I ask politely if the seller is willing to help send the bag as a gift/ used item to me, most of them dont even bother replying the messages although on the auction it says WORLDWIDE? I have PERFECT feedback and most of the sellers whom i have bought from became friends with me after. And its s shame that the sellers dont know that I have the buying power :sad: I am not flithy rich but if I ask a question and the seller reply me nicely, I usually buy rightaway. Its a shame that many sellers dont believe in international buyers.... :sad:

3. that's probably because you are asking yhem to commit a crime.

4. Help me out here... if the bag is an used bag, they cant send it as an used item to the buyer? I thought that if the bag is brand new with tags and buyer requests for the bag to be sent as gift, then that is a crime, no? Am I getting the wrong info?

5. #5 Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
    Oh please! I have bought 400+ items from the States, and never had a problem with that question. I am from Sweden, and I always ask in a very polite manner, and nobody is treating me as if I´m asking them to comitt a crime!

And yes, hgnolte..there are some wonderful international buyers out there (I´m one of them,LOL). I am glad you got to experience it!!!

Kat:heart:

6. I also used to be an international buyer and I would see listings which stated 'don't ask me to lie on customs forms' all the time. If you buy from a secondhand purse shop in your home country you have to pay sales tax. This is no different.

7. FWIW - I always paid on time (usually immediately), with paypal, always left descriptive feedback and on time, I would be very understanding of anyone that didn't want to ship to my unconfirmed address and I never dreamed of asking to return anything. Yes there are great int'l ebayers out there, and you don't have to commit a federal offense to sell to them.

8. The main thing is that the seller must take the steps to protect themselves...I have had a few great international transactions, and they often are repeat....
    communication is impt and to feel comfortable in the transaction.

9. ITA with you kat ! i have NEVER been refused when i've asked sellers to ship as a gift and undervalue, in fact they've always been accomodating and friendly. i have never refused to do the same as a seller either.
    yes, maybe it is a teeny weeny little white lie, but come on , people purlease ! there are bigger crimes ! i don't think anyone will be hunted down and jailed for it !

10. The guy doing 40 in a 25 zone thinks it's just a little thing. Until he knocks down your kid because he was going too fast to brake in time. Then how big of a deal is it?
    Personally I was raised to have respect for all laws, no matter how 'silly' they may seem. A lot of people are avoiding literally thousands in taxes this way. Taxes that could be going towards yours or my child's educations.

11. um, i think a speeding offence is a little different somehow.

12. Good for you!!
    I have had over 30 international transactions and all have gone without a hitch! Some have even been zero feedback buyers.
    As you mentioned, communication is key!
    Cheers

13. #13 Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
    I always make sure to tell the seller that should anything happen with the item it is of course my responsability since I am the one asking for the lowered value. I am a woman who stands by her word, and should anything happen (has not yet) I would NOT ask for a refund of the full amount but for the value stated on the package:yes:. I understand that most people are not like this but I am...and I believe in honesty.. Karma will come back..sooner or later!

Being in Sweden it makes a huge difference what the seller values the item at.....we pay about 40% + fees:cursing: which would make a used item cost more than retail should the full value be disclosed:sad:. I hope this makes things a little bit more understanding:smile:

Kat:heart:

14. Who on earth would get killed because of a lowered value:confused1: Some how I really don´t think that you likening low value on a package to running over a kid bares any bit of resemblence JMHO.

15. Sweden is one of the countries with the highest taxes in the world, so I assure you that my hard earned wages have a huge amount taken out in tax every month, and I pay for loads of peoples education, care, medicin etc. and 40% customs is steep, even you have to admitt that:smile: