Greasy Roots Are A Constant Struggle! UGH

MyLuckyCharm

Daydreamer
O.G.
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone else deal with this ever-plaguing problem?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty compulsive about washing my hair regularly because I can't STAND greasy hair! But it's inevitable, and after about a day and a half, give or take, sure enough that lovely greasy glimmer begins to show at the roots of my hair!

I've learned that avoiding the scalp when possible while brushing hair can spare you some time before the grease invites itself in.

I've also heard that, while this might seem crazy, you can avoid greasy roots for a longer period of time if you wash your hair LESS, because those who wash more frequently have greasy roots appear quicker because their hair works harder to replenish the moisture lost from constant washing, so thus they have nasty roots. :yucky: Can anyone expel or confirm this old myth?

Any other tips that might help to deal with this dilemma? Or beauty tips to at least cover it up? I've also heard that a little bit of baby powder at the base of your roots helps to make it look less shiny... :confused1:

So what's the scoop? Cause it's a real PAIN and I'm dreading having to wake up early tomorrow in order to fulfill the obligatory shower. :cursing: Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :heart:

Hmm.. my first thought is what kind/brand of shampoo do you use? I've heard of rinsing your scalp with Listerine keeps the oils down, but I can't say if it works or not, I don't have this problem.

Brushing from the scalp down is supposed to distribute the oils better, so ALL of your hair is nice and shiney, but it sounds like you want to avoid any oils anywhere in your hair. I can see where you'd want to avoid distributing the oils, but in reality, it's only going to sit there and get worse.

Some people can go for a goodly amount of time without having to wash their hair. Don't hit me, but I'm one of them, and I've got enough hair to cover a room full of bald guys. Diet and hair care products are the main reasons for oily scalp, so look there. Try switching what you shampoo with, sometimes it's as simple as that.

If all fails, you are just one of those people who have to wash their hair daily. Good luck!

I have the same problem. My hair is dry (very dry) but my scalp is oily. I tried using Kerastase (forgot the name, but it's the white one especially for dry hair/oily scalp), it was expensive like hell, and it made my scalp worse. It didn't last at all, by the next day I can fell my scalp itching and greasy again.
I think the answer is to find the right shampoo for you, and sometimes this is achieved thru trial and error. Right now I am using Watson's Olive Shampoo. Watson is a drugstore chain here in Asia, and it's their home product. It is cheap, smells great and friendly to my scalp.

I have the same problem. I've tried the not washing my hair for a few days solution but it didn't work for me. I went back to washing my hair everyday. Have you tried dry shampoo? It doesn't get rid of all the oil but it does seem to help for a little while.

DEFINITELY wash your hair less. I live in LA, so my hair is exposed to the elements a LOT - and after switching from washing my hair every day to every other day, it has made ALL the difference in the world. Your hair will be REALLY greasy and icky for a couple of weeks as it adjusts to your changed schedule, so I think it's best to transition on some downtime/vacation (when you're not going to take a ton of pictures), rather than looking unkempt at work. But it's SO much better for your hair to only wash it 2-4 times a week!