Gray Edith turning a darker funky color

hc1871

wantsilverreissue227
Feb 23, 2006
I treated my gray Edith w/apple guard when I 1st got it. I have used it about 10 to 15 times now and it has turned into a darker taupe like color now:sad: :yucky: :rant: I would not even call it a "gray" at all anymore. Not to sure what happenend to it????

Has this happened to anyone else?

When I open the front pocket I can see how it use to be a lighter and pretty gray:love: . I do not like at all the color it turned into. What to do?

chicbags said:
Maybe it didn't like the AppleGuard if it is its original color inside the pocket?

BIG Bummer! I am sorry.

That is what I was thinking too. That the appleguard over time darkend it. :yucky: :rant: I'm going to see if maybe it can get cleaned, I doubt it but I guess I can bring it to a leather man and see.

I gave the bag to my Mom, but when I go home this weekend I'll take some pics of the bag and then how it is the pretty gray on the inside pocket.

chicbags said:
I always ask Nordstrom's who they recommend. A professional cleaning sure might take care of it.

Can you post a picture with the pocket open to compare?

Thank you I will call and will post pics. I just gave the bag to my Mom yesterday because I was so pissed about the bag.

hc, that is terrible! I have never heard of Appleguard changing the color so long after it is applied! Perhaps the weather in your area oxidated the leather to a taupe color? I live in Miami so when I appleguard my leather the humidity, over time, darkens the leather. That is why I never appleguard my leather anymore. My SA says that oftentimes designer bags already come "protected".

I won't use Appleguard anymore either. It ruined one of my Balenciaga bags. It definitely gave it a hazy, ugly appearance.....even my mom and friends noticed the difference. It's like you needed to buff it.

girlsgottoshop said:
I won't use Appleguard anymore either. It ruined one of my Balenciaga bags. It definitely gave it a hazy, ugly appearance.....even my mom and friends noticed the difference. It's like you needed to buff it.

OMG! THat is awful! Which one did it do that to? :cry: I totally feel for you!

Does the appleguard have "silicone" in it? My leather SA told me that's what makes leathers appearance change and darken over time. He sold me a protective product that didn't have any silicone in it.

I think I posted this before, so forgive me if I sound repetitive, but I don't believe in using leather/suede protectants on fine leather and suede. As, at best, it can lull you into a false sense of security and at worst, it can affect the finish of the leather.

I also find that it masks the beautiful leather smell with a harsh chemical fragrance. :yucky: