Gray Birkin? Need help with my first PO!

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
Ever since I joined this absolutely awesome forum, I became a shopaholic, a very specific-target-oriented one, as you may have guessed! Oh my, I hope it's temporary! My first Hermes bag arrived last Saturday (a 30 Lindy in noir clemence,ghw) and I can't take my eyes off it.

But of course, I am now thinking about a Birkin. I have many leathers and colors in mind but I would like to start with a light gray 35 Birkin.

Can you ladies help me with gray color options? Etoupe and G.Tourterelle are not quite gray, they have more beige undertones, IMO. Ardoise and Graphite are too dark for me, I would like a lighter shade. I love Poudre, but I only saw it in croc. Does this color come any other leathers?

What other gray colors are there? :confused1:

Thanks all.

mrssparkles

Happy
Mar 25, 2006
Welcome to the Orange Side, Lieda! And I am always intrigued when I read posts such as yours ... so much H passion ... so much potential!

You asked if your H fever is temporary? Don't think so! It's a disease that won't shake itself off! LOL!

Congratulations! A black Lindy with GHW. That's great! Not often do we see GHW on Lindys. Please post some pictures to share with us! And I am sure it's gorgeous and need to be placed in the reference section for all to oogle at!

Gray (gray-ish) for a first birkin! That's great! A very nice neutral.

I think Gris T will best fit the bill. With Etoupe as a 2nd choice. There is now Poussiere in Clemence that is worth checking out. A new colour but not falling into the Gray category but has the great potential of a good neutral. I am waiting to see Poussiere in Togo and Croc myself!

I think Poudre only comes in croc too. Haven't heard of it in any other skins. Anyone heard anything different?

Feb 18, 2008
Lieda welcome to the Orange Side! I know what you mean by too dark, too light. Have you considered Graphite in BOX? I think that is more of a true grey that you may be looking for. The colors all look different in different leathers. Try to take a look at the leather book, or even the small leather goods. Unfortunately, I see very few of the small goods in grey...

mrssparkles

Happy
Mar 25, 2006
Lieda welcome to the Orange Side! I know what you mean by too dark, too light. Have you considered Graphite in BOX? I think that is more of a true grey that you may be looking for. The colors all look different in different leathers. Try to take a look at the leather book, or even the small leather goods. Unfortunately, I see very few of the small goods in grey...

Too dark for Lieda if she's after a light gray.

hermesmonkey, your Gris T is just perfect for her! :tup:;)

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
Ladies, thank you all very much ! I guess, if Poudre croc is out of reach for now :sad:, I will probably follow your advice and go for 35 G. Tourterelle PHW. Versatile, understated and completely gourgeous! What do you think of Epsom version? I know it holds shape well, which I like in a Birkin.

Mrssparkles, here is the pic. Hope you love it like I do! I also posted it in the reference library.

Oh! But here is another "problem" ! I have purchased a gold sail boat cadena (couldn't resist, 2006 was a wonderful year for me :heart:). Gold cadena wil not work with PHW, so need a SECOND Birkin in a warm color, to go with the cadena! Oh, my !!!! 35 Rouge Vif chevre GHW, here I come !

Attachments

• Lindy_Brazil copy.jpg
    Lindy_Brazil copy.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 173

BlueParrot

O.G.
Aug 26, 2007
I am not a big fan of the embossed Epsom, expecially for a Birkin. It looks a little plasticy for me. I have a grey Graphite 35 cm Birkin in Veau Lisse ( no longer made) which is also a little plasticy. (By the way, I love the color because it is a true grey.) IMO, the leathers whose grains are natural, like Togo, looks better but also have some structure. Good luck!

Katel

O.G.
Feb 17, 2007
overpriced, but:
http://www.luxury-shops.com/1_search/detail.php?ID=9257

9257_r.jpg

Size: 13.7"(35cm) x 9.8"(25cm) x 7"(18cm)
Color: Gris Pale
Material: Taurillon Clemence
Condition: Used​
javascript:history.back();

I found a gris pale boxcalf, so they're out there (my avatar) - welcome and good luck.

spacer.gif

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
I am not a big fan of the embossed Epsom, expecially for a Birkin. It looks a little plasticy for me. I have a grey Graphite 35 cm Birkin in Veau Lisse ( no longer made) which is also a little plasticy. (By the way, I love the color because it is a true grey.) IMO, the leathers whose grains are natural, like Togo, looks better but also have some structure. Good luck!

BP, after reading your post, I went to the H store and they happened to have a kelly in Epsom. You know, it does look a little plasticy, just like you said. I guess Togo ot Chevre would be a better choise. Thank you for the pointer!

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
Katel, Gris Pale does look like a great light gay option. Thank you, this will be one of my first choices. That is, if I don't get seduced by Pousserie which also seems to be a lovely color, although it's more beige than gray.

gelbergirl

hubba hubba ;)
O.G.
Sep 23, 2006
that is a gorgeous color. You said it is over-priced? What would good market value be and why? I am just trying to figure these prices out.
It is stunning imo.

overpriced, but:
http://www.luxury-shops.com/1_search/detail.php?ID=9257

9257_r.jpg

Size: 13.7"(35cm) x 9.8"(25cm) x 7"(18cm)
Color: Gris Pale
Material: Taurillon Clemence
Condition: Used​
javascript:history.back();

I found a gris pale boxcalf, so they're out there (my avatar) - welcome and good luck.

spacer.gif

Feb 18, 2008
that is a gorgeous color. You said it is over-priced? What would good market value be and why? I am just trying to figure these prices out.
It is stunning imo.

I agree a bit overpriced for the age alone. Just remember, a brand new one is about $8650 USD or so. I know all the stuff about waiting, but we are really starting to see a lot more bags on the shelves, even in NYC. It's definitely a sign of the slower economy and massive layoffs that have occured. The bag is lovely though. IMHO, I think under current mkt retail for this would make more sense to me.

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
Ladies, I made my first Birkin order! After much consideration, countless hours of reading the posts from all of you, and comparing all gray(ish) colors I could find in the book at the store, I ordered her in Gris Tourterelle, chevre mysore, PHW.

I saw GT bags (not Birkin) in Togo and Clemence today; and Clemence definitely makes GT look "brighter" (not that GT can be described as bright, but I'm sure you know what I mean). Since it is known that chevre takes color even better than clemence, I picked chevre.

Of course, I HAD to do do something crazy and I ordered rouge vif for the inside of the bag. Am I mad?:sad:

Opinions, please? :rolleyes:

Lieda

O.G.
Mar 19, 2008
Lieda, I think that combo will be beautiful!!! A nice POP of color with an otherwise very understated and elegant bag. Did they say how long it would take??

Hermesmonkey, thanks for releiving my color anxiety. :smile:

The SA said for a PO, it will be February'09. Since I don't have Victoria Bekham to put in a word for me, he-he, I guess I will just wait patiently till next year. Too bad I will miss my birthday in December. But, there are always cashmere shawls! :graucho: