Graphite Med Sabrina or Lg Hippie?

AileenGP

Aug 7, 2009
Hi Ladies!

I'm so indecisive and thought I'd get your opinions on which to get. DH wants to get me a bag but when we went to the boutique, I couldn't decide between the Sm/Med Patent Graphite Sabrina or the Large Graphite Hippie (I was using my imagination on the Parker Graphite color at the boutique). :shrugs:

This is to be my last designer handbag purchase in a while so I want to choose carefully and don't want to buy and then return since it's a gift from him. I also want this to be more of an everyday bag since all my current bags are light colored & delicate and I need a "fall/winter" bag that I don't really need to baby too much.

Some background: I'm mostly a shoulder bag girl but have had a few hand/arm bags and liked them even though it took some extra effort to carry them - for some reason it made me feel very proper and classy (a la Audrey Hepburn). I have a 1 year old daughter and may need to fit some snacks as well and be hands free once in a while. My gut/practical side says Hippie but I also love the timeless look of the Sabrina. DH is leaning towards the Sabrina because he said it looks like a special bag but doesn't look too hard to take care of. (He calls my more recent Coach bags the "royal" bags because he says they're too high maintenance - I wipe down chairs before I place the bag on the chair - forget about putting them on the floor).

*sigh* deciscions decisions. :thinking:What do you all think?!?! TIA!

I just responded in this thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/sabrina-reconsidered-496177.html about how the Sabrina is really not for everyone. And a lot of ladies feel that way. She is a great looking bag, but if you're more a shoulder bag girl, the Sabrina may not work. I have mostly shoulder bags, 1 Sabrina, and 1 Parker hippie (the small OP art in black). I still have yet to use my Sabrina, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Parker hippie. I'll switch bags once in a while to give her a break, but once I pick her up again, she is definitely my go to bag. IMO she is a great bag for someone who has children and needs their hands free. Katie Holmes made that bag famous because you always see her wearing her hippie and carrying little Suri around. I don't have any children, but I absolutely love having a bag that keeps my hands free when I'm at the store or shopping at the mall.

I realize my response is a bit biased because my Sabrina is simply taking up closet space and going unused. But the Parker hippie is definitely a wonderful bag and I don't think you'll be sorry if you get one.
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/sabrina-reconsidered-496177.html

You can't go wrong with either one. I'm like you and tend to baby my bags. I have the patent graphite sabrina and I find it's very low maintenance. I usually rotate my bags and rarely carry the same one more than a couple weeks, but lately this has been my go to bag. Good luck with your decision!!

I have the graphite patent sabrina and I love it!!! I typically carry it by the handles, but I have also used the strap, and it was super quick to switch it over. I don't carry much...so the Sabrina has plenty of room for me. Today I was leaving the grocery store w/ my girls and it was raining so it got wet...no big deal...wiped right off!! And I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten on this bag, including many from "non-purse people"!!!!

I have the patent graphite Maggie and love it, so my vote is for the patent graphite Sabrina (given your choices). If you haven't checked out the Maggie, it's worth looking at. Both straps stay on my shoulder which doesn't happen with most bags (I have small shoulders), plus the compartments are great. I tend to be a handbag person, but I am loving the Maggie shoulder bag. Also, the patent graphite is very low maintenance so that is another reason I voted for that one. Try the bags on in the store and walk around with them; it might be easier to make up your mind than you think. The bags fit everyone differently...thank goodness for the variety!:smile:

I really love both bags, and have both. I used to only carry shoulder bags, but I don't find my Sabrina uncomfortable or a pain to carry. I've been carrying my Hippie for about three weeks now and I kind of miss Sabrina! I'd have to say for fall I think I like the patent graphite Sabrina better if I had to pick one. The graphite Hippie is a beautiful bag and is very versatile, but the Sabrina is more "dressy" AND it is very durable! I've had some problems with my hippie scratching and I'm going to have to be a lot more careful with it. Sabrina has thicker, more strong leather, and if you go for the patent, it would be great in any rainy weather. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

The leather is more delicate on the parker hippie. I have the graphite, and I tend to be more careful with it. I haven't had a problem with scratches, but it feels like it could scratch easily. I intend on getting some apple conditioner and treating the leather, and if you get this bag I recommend doing the same.

I also own a patent sabrina in camel. I'm careful with her only because she looks fancy and I feel as if I should be careful with her, but in actuality, I don't have much to worry about. The patent leather is tough and can take a beating. No worries about getting her wet or spills, just wipe with a damp cloth and air dry.

If you have a small child, the hippie is a great bag to have. It's so big you can fit a ton of stuff in there. Easily fit a change of clothes for a toddler, plus snack items and juice boxes. No way could I get all that in a Sabrina.

So if you want to use a bag day to day for shopping and lugging around your baby, I'd go for the hippie. But every mother needs to remember that she's a mother AND a hot, sexy woman! So if you want to treat yourself or have enough big purses/diaper bag combos, I'd go for the sabrina.

^ I do agree on the size thing. With the Sabrina, if you get the small/medium size you really have to think about what you put in there. With my hippie I love that I can put a book or my lunch in it for work. Not possible with Sabrina! When I have stuff like this to carry, I have my Sabrina zipper open with stuff overflowing out in between the handles, lol. It is kind of a pain! Just something else to think about since you said you might need to carry snacks and things for your daughter.

The hippie is really big...I'm 5'2" and the hippie just swallows me up! It's funny, even the SA agreed that it's not for me!

But, since you're a shoulder bag girl (like me!) have you considered the Tribeca Crossbody bag? It's a gorgeous bag available in buff, navy or black leather or berry patent leather. All retail for $298.

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 52
  • patent.jpg
    patent.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 44
  • buff model.jpg
    buff model.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 59