Food Granny's red velvet cake

Roo

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
This is a beautiful cake for the holidays.

Grandma’s Red Velvet Cake

Cooking spray for pans
2-1/2 cups self rising flour (I use White Lily)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole buttermilk
2-1/2 tablespoons red food coloring

• Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 9 inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms with waxed paper. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. With an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add flour mixture and mix on low speed just until the flour has been incorporated. Slowly add buttermilk. Add food coloring and beat to combine.
  • Divide batter between the pans; each pan will be about half full. Tap pans on counter to remove bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 25-30 minutes (ovens vary.) Remove the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes. Invert pans onto racks sprayed with non-stick spray to cool completely or quick chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
  • To assemble, place one layer, top side down, on a cake stand or plate. Using spatula, spread with ¼ inch of frosting. Repeat with remaining layers. To frost the top and sides of cake, work from the center toward and over the edge, coating evenly.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Note: if you don’t have time to make the frosting, you will need to buy TWO ready made frostings to frost this cake.

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place cream cheese and butter in medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add sugar, pecans and vanilla. Beat, on low speed to combine. If too soft, chill until slightly stiff, about 10 minutes.

This is a beautiful cake for the holidays.

Grandma’s Red Velvet Cake

Cooking spray for pans
2-1/2 cups self rising flour (I use White Lily)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole buttermilk
2-1/2 tablespoons red food coloring

• Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 9 inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms with waxed paper. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. With an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add flour mixture and mix on low speed just until the flour has been incorporated. Slowly add buttermilk. Add food coloring and beat to combine.
  • Divide batter between the pans; each pan will be about half full. Tap pans on counter to remove bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 25-30 minutes (ovens vary.) Remove the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes. Invert pans onto racks sprayed with non-stick spray to cool completely or quick chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
  • To assemble, place one layer, top side down, on a cake stand or plate. Using spatula, spread with ¼ inch of frosting. Repeat with remaining layers. To frost the top and sides of cake, work from the center toward and over the edge, coating evenly.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Note: if you don’t have time to make the frosting, you will need to buy TWO ready made frostings to frost this cake.

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place cream cheese and butter in medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add sugar, pecans and vanilla. Beat, on low speed to combine. If too soft, chill until slightly stiff, about 10 minutes.

Oh yummy yum. Thanks so much Roo, Believe it or not I have been looking for this exact recipe. I ate some red velvet cupcakes a couple of weeks ago. They were yummylicious. I have been looking for a red velvet recipe since then. Thanks again.:flowers:

Oh yummy yum. Thanks so much Roo, Believe it or not I have been looking for this exact recipe. I ate some red velvet cupcakes a couple of weeks ago. They were yummylicious. I have been looking for a red velvet recipe since then. Thanks again.:flowers:

This is a gen-U-wine southern recipe. You'll love it. My kids love this cake- we used to make cakes/cupcakes for Halloween for girl scouts and we'd put vampire fangs and spiders on the cupcakes, we called them 'vampire cakes'!

I LOVE red velvet cake!! Thanks for sharing!

This is a very common recipe in the south. I've seen variations of it everywhere. Some don't have the cocoa powder and some do. I like the cocoa powder because it gives the cake a dark red color. The only thing I wish I could find was some kind of organic food coloring. I am not sure all that red dye is so good for us.

Perfect recipe!

Canada's Thanksgiving is this weekend and I was having a hard time deciding what to make for dessert. I never had Red Velvet Cake before, but the name sounds already sounds so delicious!

I might try making it this weekend!
Thank-YoU!

I am not much of a baker but how about beet juice or raspberry juice instead of the food coloring? I always see beet juice as one of the ingredients for those healthy fruit bars and snacks that are supposed to be red.