Grand opening events

I should change my screen name to Cinderella...

Alas, no photos--wouldn't have been appropriate.

It was business attire, so I wore a blouse and pants that I could use as the backdrop for my Hermes shawl and Kelly. On others--I've never seen so many Hermes ties outside a store and the Birkins and Kellys were well represented and gorgeous as always. Some Bolides and Bombays that were just beautiful as well. Nearly every woman had a scarf, but all different and worn so many different ways (as blouse, belt, tied to purse, in addition to many versions around the neck), it wasn't overbearing. I guess I could say the attire was classic Hermes--understated elegance.

As to the residence--just beautiful--the architecture, art, antiques--stunning, but tasteful. More of the understated elegance--okay, maybe not exactly understated, but certainly elegant and sophisticated. The back lawn overlooks Rock Creek Park--most of you won't know this area, but it is a large wooded parkland--you would never know you were in the middle of a major metropolitan area. It was lovely and decorated with topiaries, some horses of course, for the event. It looked really special.

The event started with champagne and hors d'ouvres, brief speeches by the Ambassador and an Hermes executive from Paris and proceeded to a short performance by Eartha Kitt. After that it was on to the food, wine and more mingling. It was a buffet, but very good, including lobster, but the real food star as far as I was concerned was the cheese table. So many different, incredible, delicious cheeses. I could have stood there and eaten cheese all night. I didn't because I saved room for the pastries and chocolate mousse!

The other attendees were a mix of people like me (average, but with a passion for Hermes), other diplomats, some politicians, and some of the Washington social elite (who really aren't known outside of the area). I thought I might feel out of place, but our friends at Hermes created such a nice atmosphere that I felt completely comfortable and had the chance to meet lots of nice people.

In the finale for the evening, as we left, we were given a little orange bag with a little orange box tied with brown ribbon. It contained a pale green leather tassle key ring. The leather is so soft...

That's enough for now. I don't want to overstay my welcome with you all.

Next report...after Thursday evening's grand opening at the store. :winkiss:

LOOKINGOOD35 said:
I am very happy for you :yahoo: it appears you had a great time.
How were you able to get the invite?
Can we see a photo of the bag and key ring?

Here are the photos. The leather tassel on this key ring is almost silky it's so soft. I'm afraid to use it!

My husband & I have been customers (not huge dollars spent mind you, just consistent) since the store opened and have become close to most of the staff. When I thanked them for including us in the celebrations, they indicated they wanted to include people who understand what Hermes is about--the product, the service, etc, not just high volume customers--though they certainly were part of the crowd, too.

Attachments

• CIMG0537.JPG
    CIMG0537.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 76
  • 412BD103-A43A-94AE-D6754F16595BDFEF.jpg
    412BD103-A43A-94AE-D6754F16595BDFEF.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 88
Nice! :smile: such a sepcial occasion... You're very lucky!

I like how most people working for Hermes keep that tradition of creating a network of clients who understand the product rather than buy it as a status symbol. Remember they come from the horse sector, where passion and craftsmanship are important values. Ah.. I could talk about it for hours!

shopmom411 said:
Venezia....your Kelly is just lovely. Can you tell me what leather and color it is?

It's courcheval. When I had in to Hermes for repair they wrote on the slip "natural" for the color, but elsewhere on PF I've seen it described as "gold". I'm not really sure since I bought it from a consignment shop.