Grainne/Memphis Bags & Water/Stain Repellant

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
After discovering water spots on my DayDream Stam (caused by giant snowflakes between my house & the car!), I'm paranoid about protecting my new Ginny bag.

I know that these are primarily lambskin, just like the DayDream stam. But whereas the Daydream stam seems to have some type of finish or protection (it has a soft sheen to it), my Ginny seems more matte.

Anyone know if it's OK to spray my Ginny (or the Memphis bags, which are made from similar leather) with Apple Guard? I want to protect it, but don't want to risk changing the color of the leather by spraying the bag.

I thought I would also check out the Chanel thread and see what they recommend there, since a lot of Flap Bags are made from similar types of lambs leather. But if anyone knows for sure (or has other ideas), please share them!!

TIA!!:flowers::flowers:

i stopped treating my bags. is that nuts? there are certain bags i won't carry out when i know there's a chance it's going to rain or snow. luckily i've never been caught in a freak downpour with my most delicate bags, so let's keep our fingers crossed that that never happens. i tried conditioning my robert debbie two weeks ago and a bit of the color lifted, so i don't plan on doing that again. i've never sprayed my chanels either. i'm too scared to.

sorry i can't be of much help. i'm just really paranoid that the sprays might alter the colors short-term or long-term.

I treat my bags with the Cadillac Boot and Shoe conditioner. It seems really mild. I have had no problems with any of my bags after I used this on them. I have never used anything else, so I can't compare. I have used this on Robert Leslie with no problems. Don't know if it would protect, though. I get this at Nordstrom.

I use either Cadillac or Apple when it comes to conditioning, but I'm talking about water proofing them with Apple Guard (which is supposed to protect the bag from water damage and make it more resistant to stains)

I used to treat all my MJs with a water repellent, but I haven't for a while now. That's why my Daydream Stam now has darker water spots on the handles (it wasn't supposed to snow that day and it didn't snow hard, they were just BIG GIANT snowflakes, and wherever they landed, they left a mark :sad:) I just don't want the same thing to happen to Ginny. I won't carry it on days when it's supposed to rain or when it is raining, but if I could safely spray it, I would

(I guess I could try a light mist from far away)

I use Applegarde spray on all my bags including my Bal's (both goatskin and lambskin) and have had no issues at all with the leather and it does really protect them from waterspots.

Well, I held my breath and sprayed it tonight!!
Looks good!! :tup:

Thanks for all the votes of confidence!!

I really didn't want to take a chance of having ANOTHER loved bag w/water spots!! (now, if only I could figure out how to fade the spots on my DayDream, I'll be in heaven! thank goodness its a darker color so they're not too obvious, but I know they're there and my eyes are drawn to them everytime I use the bag :sad:)

I treat my bags with the Cadillac Boot and Shoe conditioner. It seems really mild. I have had no problems with any of my bags after I used this on them. I have never used anything else, so I can't compare. I have used this on Robert Leslie with no problems. Don't know if it would protect, though. I get this at Nordstrom.

So there was no change in the metallic finish of the strips? That's what I'm afraid of, but if your Leslie is OK, then I can try Cadillac on the Katy.

Let us know how the Ginny holds up, ilmb. Thanks for starting the thread.