Graduating on time????

It took me 5 years, although I took it slow (and I mean reeeaaaaaaal slow) the 5th year ;) I figured, college was THE BEST time in my life...why not give myself some extra time? I don't regret staying that extra year FOR A MINUTE! If I could, I would've stayed 6 years!!!!!! :yes: :tup: If you ask me, working is overrated! :rolleyes:

..and I am going to add on here. I am actually a tad insulted that someone would imply that if you don't graduate "on time" then there is an issue. I worked (and paid my way) through all of my education and there was no way I could have done it otherwise. Everyone has their own thing going on so good for them (and OP!!). Don't worry about anyone else except for yourself.

..and I am going to add on here. I am actually a tad insulted that someone would imply that if you don't graduate "on time" then there is an issue. I worked (and paid my way) through all of my education and there was no way I could have done it otherwise.

I totally agree. I finished in four years, but only, I acknowledge, because I am blessed enough have my parents to fully support me financially.

Two of my other friends, whose parents have disowned them physically and financially a long time ago haven't had it as easy. They work, manage classes, and support themselves. One takes two classes at a time while she works full time, the other is taking three this semester. They juggle a lot, and I truly admire them. Actual work experience also can significantly make the difference in obtaining a job, much more than the time it took to complete your degree.

And for others, more than 3 classes a semester is too much to handle. To graduate in four years I had to take 6 classes one semester. My grades were a shadow of what they had been in previous semesters, and I felt less personally fulfilled by the experience than I normally do. It wasn't what learning was supposed to be about. Many of my friends in school are taking an extra semester to graduate because they took one less class a semester. It's silly to think that will significantly impact their future.

To the OP: If you really hate school all that much, maybe you should choose an alternate path. Not everyone should go the route of higher education, and maybe you are one of those people. I'm not going to sugarcoat the facts: yes people that only have high school diplomas earn significantly less than a person with a two year college degree. But maybe personal fulfillment can come in the form of getting a job in a field that you really like and already qualified for rather than money.

On the other hand, if you want to continue with the school thing, try to find a subject area that you really enjoy. In my mind, higher education is such a universal privilege (in terms of appeal, not opportunity); everyone can find something to relish if they look hard enough.

i just graduated and did it in 4 years, i could have rushed through it in the fall and graduated in 3.5 but having my family at my graduation in the spring and doing the FULL commencement meant so much more to me.

many of my family members graduated in 5, 10, or even 12 years....and all that matters is that now they have their degree and have great jobs. it doesnt matter if you graduate with 2 degreen in 4, 5, or 7 years because in the end you have the same degree.

and i still have 4 years of school ahead of me so its doable, dont be discouraged because in the end you will be rewarded.

oh and ps: there is nothing wrong with going to an ivy league...40k per year is a steep tuition but my parents said its the best money they ever spent and attending one is nothing to be seen as "snotty." and next year ill be attending an ivy league medical school so its more expensive but in no way "more snotty"

i just graduated and did it in 4 years, i could have rushed through it in the fall and graduated in 3.5 but having my family at my graduation in the spring and doing the FULL commencement meant so much more to me.

many of my family members graduated in 5, 10, or even 12 years....and all that matters is that now they have their degree and have great jobs. it doesnt matter if you graduate with 2 degreen in 4, 5, or 7 years because in the end you have the same degree.

and i still have 4 years of school ahead of me so its doable, dont be discouraged because in the end you will be rewarded.

oh and ps: there is nothing wrong with going to an ivy league...40k per year is a steep tuition but my parents said its the best money they ever spent and attending one is nothing to be seen as "snotty." and next year ill be attending an ivy league medical school so its more expensive but in no way "more snotty"

not sure who you are quotting on this "more snotty" thing

i nkow i said something about snotty in my post, i was referring my high school nothing about the ivy league school being "snotty" if parents or whoever wants to pay that much for school good for them
there are some degrees that are bettter to get from that sort of school, it actually can really matter

but there are other majors where if you get your degree from harvard or from i dunno a state school
in the long run it doesnt matter,,it just depends on the major and on the competition involved in that field

but i didnt see anywhere someone say ivy leauge schools are more snotty,,,,,?

touchy touchy topic...

Well..i agree....don't feel bad that you think its taking a bit longer..b/c college is not always about 2,4,6,8,or 10 years. And also..this is why they say "it's never too late to go back to school."

People have their own lives which consist of family,kids, issues of LIFE and other things so work at your own pace!

:smile: Good luck :heart:

Hey, congrats, batgirl, I didn't know you'd decided on a med school!

I think snotty is a state of mind in higher ed. I knew a guy who thought he was hot sh*t for having gone to Harvard, he would throw his degree in other people's faces every chance he got. But I also know a woman who attended Yale, is brilliant in her field, and who is never anything but polite and kind to everyone. I think most people have grown up enough to know that the brand name on your degree isn't nearly as important as your work ethic and strength of character.

Take your time and do it right. There's absolutely no reason to hurry (unless you're really struggling to pay tuition or something), so don't worry about what other people think.
And some Ivy Leaguers are snotty. Tis true. I am very biased against Harvard (it's largley irrational, and I actually have good friends there) because I feel there's that whole Harvard air about it. I hope I don't turn into a snotty Ivy Leaguer.

i have to not like harvard because its a school riviarly thing, not because they are "more snotty"...i have been blessed to be surrounded with some of the brightest and nicest people at brown, yale, penn, and columbia (and yes some at harvard too)

there is a stigma with being an ivy leaguer and if you buy into it then you will become it. not every ivy is snotty nor will you become snotty for going to one. because afterall, its just a school.