Tech Gps

blueeyedgirl

Fashion Addict!
O.G.
May 16, 2008
I need to get a new GPS and I am overwhelmed with all the options!

I'm thinking of either getting a Garmin Nuvi or getting an app for my iphone (either Magellan, Navigon or Tom Tom).

The downside to getting an app is that it is not allowed in Massachusetts, and I live in CT. Also, although I have a car charger, I do worry that it might be a little bit of a bad idea to have my gps & phone be one device.

The upside is that I always worry about leaving my GPS in the car (though I do hide it) and I always bring my iphone with me.

Does anyone use a phone-app GPS? Or have a GPS they love?

We have a TomTom and it works great. We keep it in the center console when we aren't using it so it is hidden away. It's one up from the very basic model. The one thing I've noticed is that it tends to freak out when you are in a parking lot. Not sure why but it has no idea where you need to go, then once you get out onto the road it will pick up where you're at.

I've never had any problems with the GPS on my BB. I have google maps as well.

Only think I like about full GPS's is it's easier to use with just a driver in the car and no passenger.

i have a garmin nuvi and because of mine, two other people have bought the same exact model and both of them had tried others. my dad was a big tomtom fan but for some reason he bought me the garmin for xmas.

just be sure if you get one that it tells you street names to turn on, not just "turn right in 1.5 miles" you want to make sure it gives you the street name! cheaper units will not do that.

My mom has a TomTom and my dad has a Garmin and I hateeee the Garmin. From personal experience I'd definitely go w/ a TomTom.

I'm curious about the GPS app on the iphone though. I'm planning on getting one in September and I'd like a GPS for when I'm driving to school.

I loveeee my garmin! I also have google maps on my blackberry and it works perfectly, but the garmin is useful when I'm driving since it says directions out loud to you. And it's wayy easier to get alternate routes with an actual GPS..I haven't figured out a way to do it with my google maps app.

just a word of advice... whichever you choose... don't try to use them in massive cities like nyc or chicago (in the downtown areas) the tall buildings TOTALLY mess with the satalite signal and make you drive all sorts of crazy directions