Goyard - Terrible Experience

Deniz Harrison

Mar 6, 2019
I am writing this post because I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this before, and to (potentially) warn others.

I purchased the Goyard Monte Carlo clutch from the Paris store on Rue St Honoree two months ago (1/10/19). They told me they didn't have the color I wanted available but they could ship it - I just had to pay for shipping and personalization. They said it would be about 3 weeks for personalization and 1 week for shipping. It was a long wait, but, I really loved the look of this bag so I went with it.

Fast forward to February - I get a package from Goyard, but it's not my bag. Instead, it's a completely different bag with someone else's initials. After waiting a month I am absolutely furious that I have the wrong bag, but obviously I still want the right bag, so I emailed them immediately (because apparently Goyard doesn't believe in picking up the phone) and told them what happened. I had responses right away, with representatives telling me that my bag had been mixed up with another and my bag was accidentally shipped to Bangkok and I had accidentally received the Bangkok customer's bag. They said they would get my bag back from Bangkok, inspect it, and ship it back to me. I said ok, but I want my expedited shipping fee back because clearly I am not getting my bag on time anymore. They agreed.

Fine. I waited two weeks, no news. So I emailed Goyard and asked them for an update. I waited two days, no response. I sent ANOTHER email to a different address at Goyard asking for an update, and then magically got an update from the original representatives saying they expected my bag back in Paris in about a week and that I should have my bag by early March.

Today, (two weeks later on 3/6/19) I got an email from the representatives saying they received my bag but it was damaged and they are going to make a new one for me but with no information on how long it would take. At this point my bag is over a month late, I am absolutely sick and tired of dealing with this BS, and I am not willing to wait TWO MONTHS for a Goyard when I can walk down the street and pick up a new LV or YSL in ten minutes. Not to mention, I STILL have the wrong bag that they haven't picked up yet.

I told them that this is completely unacceptable, and that if I don't have my bag in my hands by March 23rd (two and a half weeks from now) that I expect a full refund. SO - moral of the story is that you should never buy anything from Goyard and trust that they will ship it. If you don't leave the store with it in your hands, don't bother.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? How did you deal with it? What was the final resolution? I am just absolutely in awe that any luxury brand charging this much for its goods would have such god awful service.

I did have something (artois MM) shipped from the same store and didn't have any problem.
I am sorry that there was a mix up. If you still love the bag I think you should get it. Although I have only shipped from that store once, I have shopped there a number of other times and I have always had a good experience.

It’s frustrating but its a handmade item, an Atelier and sometimes these human mistakes happen. Take comfort that they didn’t ship you the bag that they received back and were unhappy with - this is a sign they want you to have a perfect piece. I order often from the store and a few others as I live in Asia at the moment, and have never had a problem with the item but I accept that things do happen usually with postage - delays in customs for example - as sometimes these happen and waiting for a special order is part of the anticipation of receipt. Good luck and I hope your special order arrives soon and is perfect for you so that you forget the wait the moment you unwrap it!

Things happen that are not in your control. People make mistakes. They agreed to send you a new bag. Sounds good to me. I get you wanted your bag but sounds like they did the best they could under the circumstances. Doesn’t sounds so awful to me.

Reactions: bagidiotic
Company made a mistake. Company addressed the issue and tried to fix the mistake. Customer is nevertheless bagless for a while, but that’s the extent of your harm.

This is a less than perfect retail experience , but they’re honoring their breakdown in the chain. Up to you to manage your feelings here; they’re behaving within bounds.

Ever order a customized anything before? A sofa, an appliance, whatever, costing at least as much and more than a Goyard? Delays are extremely common.

I understand your frustration - but at least Goyard doesn't have an "Oh well" attitude about it.

Is this situation ideal? No, I can see why one would be annoyed.

I think a lot of us (myself included) are under the misconception that luxury brands offer the most premium services, which isn't always the case. Prices might be more expensive, but doesn't mean everything about that company is superior to a contemporary brand.

I hope you receive your item soon! (I know for me, sometimes I hate waiting for an item to come in the mail, I'm like a child waiting for Christmas morning).

Update us with photos once you receive your purchase! Best of luck!