Goyard St. Louis less than four months old and handles cracking :(

Given that I have never seen anyone on YouTube refer to this as a beach bag nor any tpf posts that this is supposed to be a beach bag, if you were told this, you had a good SA. Apparently the rest of us who weren't told that this is a beach tote had lousy ones. In the latest response from Goyard they state that excessive weight can cause excessive stress on the corners. Well given that I used the bag a dozen times over less than three months and DID NOT weigh the bag down then the bag I have must be deficient. All I ever carry with me is a toiletry case which is not packed full, a small wallet, keys, and my phone. When I want a workhorse tote I carry my BV or lv tote. I was aware that the bag was delicate in terms of the canvas and that is the ONLY reason I did not carry much in my tote. Still waiting for a resolution. We're now getting into march and this has been going on since December. I bought the tote in September.

Ugh please keep me updated! I bought one from the London store in Dec and used it a couple times and then dropped it off in the San Francisco to get striped and letters. I haven't received it back yet but now I'm super nervous!!!

Reactions: Shelly319
After much thought, you have inspired me. I have decided to attempt return of my St. Louis GM (purchased in July 2016) due to the paint peeling on my newly acquired personalization done in mid-August 2016. The peeling started in November, 2016. While I could live with the first tiny spot, as it was not noticeable, I now see that the peeling is happening on my initials, as well as a few other spots (mainly corner areas). I know it is only a matter of time before the personalization starts to get worse, which will essentially ruin the look of an otherwise brand new bag. While I am fully expecting a fight, I take comfort in the fact that because my bag was purchased at Goyard Boutique within a Neiman Marcus store on my NM card, that ultimately Neiman Marcus would have the final say. Years ago I had to return a gorgeous Navy Blue lambskin Classic Flap to the Chanel Boutique within Bloomingdales due to the color wearing off on the bottom corners after only 7 months. To my surprise Bloomingdales could not apologize enough for my inconvenience and took the bag back citing it was a quality control issue that they would address with Chanel. Well the paint peeling on my Goyard is certainly a "quality control" issue that I hope gets resolved fairly. I have to wonder if they can send my bag back to be repainted? I will certainly let everyone know.

Please Lee us updated on what happens. I just got stripes and monograms on mine. Still haven't received it back yet. Quite nervous now!

Please Lee us updated on what happens. I just got stripes and monograms on mine. Still haven't received it back yet. Quite nervous now!
I spoke with an SA in Beverly Hills who was actually very nice. She first asked me if I was local and I told her that I was local, but 1-1/2 hrs. away and that rather than bring the bag back into the store, I would be sending an email this evening attaching photos of the bag and all pertinent documentation. Not sure where this will go, but am cautiously optimistic given she told me that the paint should not be peeling this soon. I also asked if it could be redone and she hesitantly said yes, but that they just need to see what is going on. I will keep you all updated. I think mine is an isolated incident. However, if for some reason (wishful thinking) they were to offer me a new bag, I have to be honest I would not get another St. Louis. I would get one of their more structured totes. Heck, with the money I have spent for the GM and personalization, I am pretty much at $2,000. Whats another few hundred to get a more sturdy bag.

I spoke with an SA in Beverly Hills who was actually very nice. She first asked me if I was local and I told her that I was local, but 1-1/2 hrs. away and that rather than bring the bag back into the store, I would be sending an email this evening attaching photos of the bag and all pertinent documentation. Not sure where this will go, but am cautiously optimistic given she told me that the paint should not be peeling this soon. I also asked if it could be redone and she hesitantly said yes, but that they just need to see what is going on. I will keep you all updated. I think mine is an isolated incident. However, if for some reason (wishful thinking) they were to offer me a new bag, I have to be honest I would not get another St. Louis. I would get one of their more structured totes. Heck, with the money I have spent for the GM and personalization, I am pretty much at $2,000. Whats another few hundred to get a more sturdy bag.

I'd definitely look into something more sturdy without thin handles. When I called the Beverly Hills boutique and asked if there were tote type bags that wouldn't have cracking handles after my bag started cracking the sa said that the sac hardy And another which I can't remember the name now also had handles that would eventually crack. Initially all I requested was replacement handles and I gave them other alternatives - get a different bag obviously I'd pay more or a replacement bag. None of those reasonable suggestions have been taken up. So now I just want a refund especially after I saw another tpf member complain about a cracking bag that he spent nearly 3000 on. Yeah I'd be even more annoyed if that happened! I think carefully about my purchases and when I spend money on luxury I expect quality and durability. Too bad in this case for me.

Ugh please keep me updated! I bought one from the London store in Dec and used it a couple times and then dropped it off in the San Francisco to get striped and letters. I haven't received it back yet but now I'm super nervous!!!
Well as long as you realize that it was intended to be a light weight beach tote and not for everyday use, you'll be just fine! Lol.

I'd definitely look into something more sturdy without thin handles. When I called the Beverly Hills boutique and asked if there were tote type bags that wouldn't have cracking handles after my bag started cracking the sa said that the sac hardy And another which I can't remember the name now also had handles that would eventually crack. Initially all I requested was replacement handles and I gave them other alternatives - get a different bag obviously I'd pay more or a replacement bag. None of those reasonable suggestions have been taken up. So now I just want a refund especially after I saw another tpf member complain about a cracking bag that he spent nearly 3000 on. Yeah I'd be even more annoyed if that happened! I think carefully about my purchases and when I spend money on luxury I expect quality and durability. Too bad in this case for me.
Here are photos of my chipping/peeling. I had no clue the paint was chipping until I starting taking photos this evening to send to Goyard. Pretty shoddy. Holy cow.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_673.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_673.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,846
  • fullsizeoutput_676.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_676.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,979
  • fullsizeoutput_67b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_67b.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 2,017
  • fullsizeoutput_677.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_677.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,970
  • fullsizeoutput_67e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_67e.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 2,275
  • fullsizeoutput_679.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_679.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 2,064
Here are photos of my chipping/peeling. I had no clue the paint was chipping until I starting taking photos this evening to send to Goyard. Pretty shoddy. Holy cow.

Oh No! Those do not look good! Starting from one little corner, eventually whole thing going to peel off! They are not shy to charge for those paint, can't believe the quality is so poor!
I hope you get it resolved soon!

Well as long as you realize that it was intended to be a light weight beach tote and not for everyday use, you'll be just fine! Lol.[/QUOTE
Neiman Marcus has excellent customer so you will likely be well taken care of. Please keep us posted. I love the look of Goyard but am so very disappointed with my experience with their customer service. I have never been treated so poorly. Jiangjiang- doesn't EU law apply for you? In another thread a gentleman in the eu said that eu law is very consumer focused. He said his Goyard tore after a short period of time and Goyard actually said the bag would be replaced. Only if that kind of response could be elicited here in the US. HA!
I tried to send you a private message, but could not. I dropped my bag at Goyard today. They were very apologetic and said that the bag would be overnighted to SF for repair. Apparently, they can remove and replace monogramming. I asked them to please remove the stripes since they would be at greater risk for peeling/chipping in years to come and to leave the initials. The repair manager said that they would let me know if they are able to safely remove the stripes without compromising the canvas. I also told them that if they were unable to bring the bag back to its original purchased condition that I wanted as a replacement the Artois, which is very nice and the same price as the St. Louis. They actually have 2 sizes in the Artois. I will keep you updated.

I tried to send you a private message, but could not. I dropped my bag at Goyard today. They were very apologetic and said that the bag would be overnighted to SF for repair. Apparently, they can remove and replace monogramming. I asked them to please remove the stripes since they would be at greater risk for peeling/chipping in years to come and to leave the initials. The repair manager said that they would let me know if they are able to safely remove the stripes without compromising the canvas. I also told them that if they were unable to bring the bag back to its original purchased condition that I wanted as a replacement the Artois, which is very nice and the same price as the St. Louis. They actually have 2 sizes in the Artois. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the update. Not sure why PMs aren't working. Sounds like you had a great experience with Goyard and treatment seems disparate. The receipt for my Goyard states that painting is good for three months only so it is good that Goyard is still willing to do something about the bag. The customer service at the Goyard I've been dealing with as well as corporate have been abysmal. I have been waiting for this to be resolved for three months now. I have a bad taste in my mouth as a result of my experience and have no intention of ever buying anything from them again. It saddens me because the canvas is beautiful and had they not been so difficult I would have paid more for a better bag - one that does not have a chance of cracking. On my end it seems that things may also be resolved but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Stay tuned.

Reactions: jiangjiang
My Anjou bag is very light so I have felt it's convenient to carry my textbooks since I bought it last summer. but your thread made me alert that how I should take care of my bag.. it has no any cracking on handles gratefully. I heard a gassip that rich people use their Goyard bags to carry their babies' diapers. now i can guess why.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20170305_164047842.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20170305_164047842.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,866
My Anjou bag is very light so I have felt it's convenient to carry my textbooks since I bought it last summer. but your thread made me alert that how I should take care of my bag.. it has no any cracking on handles gratefully. I heard a gassip that rich people use their Goyard bags to carry their babies' diapers. now i can guess why.
The Anjou may be different. You should call the boutique to see if this was intended to be a beach bag. I was careful with mine but it cracked anyway.

Thanks for the update. Not sure why PMs aren't working. Sounds like you had a great experience with Goyard and treatment seems disparate. The receipt for my Goyard states that painting is good for three months only so it is good that Goyard is still willing to do something about the bag. The customer service at the Goyard I've been dealing with as well as corporate have been abysmal. I have been waiting for this to be resolved for three months now. I have a bad taste in my mouth as a result of my experience and have no intention of ever buying anything from them again. It saddens me because the canvas is beautiful and had they not been so difficult I would have paid more for a better bag - one that does not have a chance of cracking. On my end it seems that things may also be resolved but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Stay tuned.
I do not blame you one bit and I am still not entirely convinced that my dealings will continue to go smoothly. I did not look at my receipt, but surely will after this communication. For now I wait, just like you. Hoping the best for both of us.

Hi @Shelly319, I posted awhile ago how my white St PM had a defect where the strap connecting to the purse inside was cracking. At that time Singapore just opened their first store so I emailed the SA there. I had been using it lightly for just a month but I faced the problem.

Luckily for me, they found a trusted person to fix the strap for me, giving me a new strap with no charges. You could try asking from the store you bought it from, instead of going to the customer service in Paris. They are probably swamped with emails. Good luck!

Reactions: alizhan