Goyard Saint Marc cardholder quality issue

justdeb__

Oct 16, 2017
Hi all! I’m wondering if anyone has purchased a Goyard card wallet of late. Specifically the Saint Marc. Reason I ask is because I recently asked a friend to pick up a Saint Marc card holder during his trip to France. I bought one last year in Paris for my husband around Christmas. I’m comparing both card holders and the new one my friend picked up looks significantly different than the one I picked up last year. Curious if Goyard is known to change up their production processes for certain product lines.

Photos comparing the two wallets below. In each of the side-by-side photos, the old cardholder is on the left.
7F0AAA2D-17B7-4930-94E9-01350F3D426D.jpeg 75C05BC0-E164-4666-A613-50D199868EF9.jpeg CC2D7E23-7871-416E-9078-A68CF2BB42EC.jpeg B19DADFB-7BF0-4B96-8242-761D300AF055.jpeg 50300E9E-CAD7-41D3-B3D3-B27D9289164D.jpeg C26601AA-60EE-4991-AB6B-7D5B52C3DA61.jpeg

I’m noticing that the edges of the new card holder don’t look painted (shiny vs. matte) and the edges are more angled rather than slightly rounded. Imprint inside looks slightly crisper and deeper. Not sure if it’s because it’s brand new vs. used.

I have no doubt that the one my friend purchased is the real deal since it was purchased at an actual Goyard boutique. I’m just slightly disappointed in the huge (IMO) variance between the one from last year and the one this year. Not to mention the price went up almost 100 euros! Thoughts/comments appreciated!

Regarding the edge pain, every luxury leather goods manufacturers tends to test and find new suppliers of edge pain due to change in quality or clients complains.

2 years ago LV changed their supplier of edge paint and that resulted with some bags collection that had problems of edge paint peeling after a period of time where they had to exchange all the bags of that collection with new ones for clients.

Even high-end brands tends sometimes to change manufacturers specially the for their SLG ''Small Leather Goods'' collections as most of brands such as LV, Chanel etc.. manufactures their SLGs at a third-party manufacturers in Spain which sometime the change of manufacturers can change the finishing which happens either to reduce the cost or to higher the quality.

As in these photos you attached you can see that one cardholder has a creasing line on the leather lining edges and the other doesn't which I cant tell which I cant tell honestly which one is the used one but in this case, the one with creasing line requires more time in manufacturing process as the creasing process takes more time to do it so its either an upgrade of the products in the creased one is the brand new one or a cutting cost if the creased one is the old one.

Same applies for the edge paint as the mat finish is the final layer they apply to give the mat finish which is more time to finish and wait to dry.

The above information are based on my knowledge in leather manufacturing industry and my own suggestion.

Hope I gave you a logical answer.

Cheers,
Assali