...got the SO call... so excited!

lovemybirkin

May 29, 2011
Ok so my hubby finally got "the call" from our SA! (whom I now love dearly)

"Would we like to request a special order (Birkin)"??? WOULD I!!!!! lmao

Now I am completely freaking out about colour/leather combos.

I want it to have a horse-shoe for sure... so any tips from the experts?

I am definitely considering doing accent piping and thread, that seems to set SO bags apart.
Are there colour combos that they just won't do? Or is it the leather availability that limits a colour?

oh...and I'm not asking for exotics yet, I don't want to give the hubby a heart attack :graucho:

TIA

Congratulations!!

Although I can't really give any tips (if I was offered a SO I know what I would order in a heartbeat!) but I think you should go through the swatchbook and really pick what sings to you.

Although I am not a fan of contrast piping, it does look very beautiful on certain bags.

Let us know what you choose!

I have SO ordered 2 bags now so i think the best thing is to really decide what colours you like and dont like give it as much thought as possible , look at the pics here to help you and also go into store and look at the leather books and maybe make either the inside or outside of your B one of the new S/S colours , but good luck and congrats

Thanks!! I'm going into the store next week to decide.
I know it's weird that I don't have a list of faves like many of TPF members do...but I pretty much always buy on impulse, or my hubby just surprises me , so this will be a big change.
Maybe I won't even really like waiting and prefer not to do it again...I'm pretty much an instant gratification kind of gal:blush:

Ok so my hubby finally got "the call" from our SA! (whom I now love dearly)

"Would we like to request a special order (Birkin)"??? WOULD I!!!!! lmao

Now I am completely freaking out about colour/leather combos.

I want it to have a horse-shoe for sure... so any tips from the experts?

I am definitely considering doing accent piping and thread, that seems to set SO bags apart.
Are there colour combos that they just won't do? Or is it the leather availability that limits a colour?

oh...and I'm not asking for exotics yet, I don't want to give the hubby a heart attack :graucho:

TIA

Lovemybirkin
Geez, that sounds like a wonderful experience (be still, my beating heart). Was there anything in particular that you bought or said at the boutique that led to the call?
(It's a real art figuring out the protocol of how things happen around the boutique).

So exciting! Instead of choosing contrast piping because more SOs have it, make sure you're really getting the look you want. IMO, the contrast piping can limit the versatility of a bag for daily use.
To pick, what has your dream Birkin always looked like in your head? That's the color to get. Then, I'd pick a fun interior color that will only show when you want it to.
Pick a main base color and we'll help you choose an interior color if you'd like!

Many congrats! :yahoo: If you're close to a boutique, your best bet is to go in and look at swatches and see them together with your own eyes. My biggest challenge is that...my favorite boutique too far away for me to go in person, so I have to research on the Internet. There's no better feeling than unwrapping your first horseshoe, and it never gets old! Your SA should have a list of what colors are available in which leathers, so that should help as well! GL! Can't wait to hear what you come up with! :tender:

To create a SO is the chance to get the bag you would make I tend to play with the colors I find I match more ultimately finding that I like mono chromatics because my bag is actually what I like to pop so......... When thinking about matching colors I feel it's more about the synergy the way the work together then to match them so ....after that introduction I suggest the following to explain my ideas color synergy parchemin and orange a soft color with a supreme bright. Blue Jean with vert anis two classics and then there's my favorite contrast scheme classic deep colors with brights maroon fonce with tosca !!!!!! Wow !!!!!!! But don't go match matchy like orange and red or blue Jean and blue Mykonos family colors together !!!!! Are not the best idea !!!!! Anyway hope it helps. Best .birkel.

So exciting! Instead of choosing contrast piping because more SOs have it, make sure you're really getting the look you want. IMO, the contrast piping can limit the versatility of a bag for daily use.
To pick, what has your dream Birkin always looked like in your head? That's the color to get. Then, I'd pick a fun interior color that will only show when you want it to.
Pick a main base color and we'll help you choose an interior color if you'd like!

Great advice.

Agree with Greentea here! You can also take a look at the Special Combo thread under Reference subforum and "bags with contrast lining" thread at main forum a while ago for some research. Then get some colour pencils, find a relaxing afternoon and start some sketches, see if they will match your wardrobe and imagine yourself really using it (instead of sitting in your shelf!) Of course go down to the store, see the swatches and talk to your SA about leather availability of certain colours with their pros and cons. HTH!

Go in and browse the swatches and ask your SA's advice on what looks good together and get her opinion if you trust it! Sometimes it's good to have an outside perspective on which colors really mesh or look good IRL. I would stick in one general color family also but that's just me. Good luck :tup:

To create a SO is the chance to get the bag you would make I tend to play with the colors I find I match more ultimately finding that I like mono chromatics because my bag is actually what I like to pop so......... When thinking about matching colors I feel it's more about the synergy the way the work together then to match them so ....after that introduction I suggest the following to explain my ideas color synergy parchemin and orange a soft color with a supreme bright. Blue Jean with vert anis two classics and then there's my favorite contrast scheme classic deep colors with brights maroon fonce with tosca !!!!!! Wow !!!!!!! But don't go match matchy like orange and red or blue Jean and blue Mykonos family colors together !!!!! Are not the best idea !!!!! Anyway hope it helps. Best .birkel.

Agree with birkel here! I just placed my first SO too and I personally would also go with contrast colours, e.g. A dark & a bright, not 2 colours from the same family such as blue jean & mykonos etc. Go to the boutique and have a good look at the swatches. And most importantly, have fun!

Oh, how exciting! My dream! personally I can totally see a dark or neutral with a bright colored inside. It's fun and it doesn't limit utility, but I don't know what bags you already have. I agree, pick colors that aren't in the same 'family' if you want the interior to really pop. Just my opinion; enjoy looking at the swatches/colors and can't wait to see your reveal! It's even more fun this way, in my opinion. A bag made truly just for YOU!;)

Ps could anyone clarify the horseshoe...does it only come with certain combos or is it on every SO? I've never seen one "in person".

Last edited:
Most of the SO bags I've seen look great with a brighter color for the lining. I do agree that depending on the color choice(s), contrast stitching may or may not work. If the external color is lighter then you can see the contrast stitching whereas other times, the stitching can just look dirty. Also, depending on the color choice(s), sometimes I prefer doing only the inside as a separate color from the outside. IMHO, sometimes the external piping, straps and handles look too much. And, I've only seen a handful of tri-color bags that looked amazing.

Here is my two cents worth of advice: (This is my approach)

1. Try to pick a color for the outside that you'd use all of the time if it were only a one color bag.
2. Then, pick the leather that makes the color look best to your own taste.
3. Next, pick the hardware color that looks best with #1 and #2.
4. For the inside lining, pick a color that you really like/love but wouldn't necessarily carry as bag if that color were on the outside. (I think that's why a lot of H fans pick colors like Rose Shocking, Soleil, Vert anis, orange, and so forth.)
5. After you are set on #1, #2, #3 and #4, you are almost done with your SO. :smile: Now, you need to visualize how the bag would look if (a) only the inside lining was a contrast color; (b) the inside lining and the outside piping were contrast colors; (c) you like the look of having the handles be a contrast color; (d) you like the look of having the front straps be a contrast color. My suggestion is to use colored pencils (or crayons) to sketch out each option to give you a better sense of what each would look like.
6. After you're comfortable with your decision, then you go to your SA, tell/show her what you're leaning towards and ask for her opinion.

P.S. Oh, and you should know what size you're looking for. I use mine as a tote so 35 is more practical for me. :smile: