Got sent the wrong color Downtown tote - and I love it!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. On the last day of the 70-80% off sale, the small downtown tote appeared in the rose patent color while I was browsing the saks website, so I grabbed it. 80% off, fantastic deal, right? When I got the package, I pulled the bag out and thought, this is a really nice bag, but it seems a lot darker than I imagined it. And there's no pinkish tint at all!

I searched this forum for other photos of the downtown in rose patent, but couldn't find any. Then I started browsing downtown threads and saw one of Cosmopolitan's recent post of new pics from saks.com. Eureka, that's my bag!!! It's not rose, it's a new color - safari! No wonder I was confused!

[​IMG]

It looks like it was maybe a mistake on YSL's end - the YSL paper tag inside says "pleine fleur pigmentee". It's been a really long time since I used my high school French, but is that full(?) flower color, meaning rose? It doesn't say safari anywhere. The code number on the saks price tag attached to the bag matches the one on YSL's tag, and the saks tag has the $1495 original price of the rose, where the safari is $200 more.

Anyway, I think this will be a more practical match for my wardrobe than the rose. It's a great color. The raised pebbled parts are a slightly darker shade, so it makes for a really nice overall look. In dim light, it even appears to be a dark bronzish metallic. And I can't believe I got a newly released bag for $330 ($299 + our sucky sales tax)!

Attached Files:

2. congrats! sooo lucky! i love the color

3. haha! thats a really great deal!

4. Beautiful bag and the insane price is the icing on the cake! Congrats!

5. Congrats! Sometimes surprises are good!

6. lovely color, does it come with pink too

7. Congrats, it does seem like you got a deal! Definitely could be the new Safari color which is going for $1695 in the small Downtown.

This is what the Rose patent looks like on a Tribute. (Pic borrowed from Ref Library. Bag belongs to halunfishie)
    [​IMG]

This is what pebbled Safari looks like on the Saks website
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Beautiful bag at a crazy good price! Congrats! :tup:

9. What a great buy! That's an unbelievable price for a beautiful bag! Well done!:woohoo:

10. What a great deal and a pretty bag you have!!! The pebble leather looks so delicious. Congratulations!

11. Stunning bag!
    What a steal! x

12. #12 Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    I'm almost certain it is a color from this last season called English Skin. Here is a photo for reference.

[​IMG]

English Skin has pinky undertones as does your bag. Safari is greener in its undertones. It's also possible that it's Almond (Cuoio) Pebble Patent Leather. It's been a while since I've seen the Almond at Nordstrom, but it did have a pinky undertone in the pebble patent texture.

I recommend posting the inside tags and such in the authenticate this section for any bag that arrives not as expected. Sometimes customers who return bags swap out a real for a fake and the employees doing the restocking in the warehouse don't notice. Just to be safe!

Attached Files:

13. ^Its possible its English Skin. I never personally saw that color used on a pebbled small Downtown(?) Hard to say for sure, because of differences in photography and our computer monitors, and because YSL has had several very similar shades recently in that same color family.

To complicate matters further, here's an eBay auction showing a Rose pebbled patent Downtown. http://cgi.ebay.com/YVES-SAINT-LAURENT-SMALL-DOWNTOWN-TOTE_W0QQitemZ110339929320QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_WH_Handbags?hash=item110339929320&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
    Perhaps you could compare your tag to the one shown in that photo?

14. ^ YES! That's the bag I saw a few months ago that looks like OP's bag. Also, OP's bag is pebbled patent and the safari is not.

15. ^Right, safari is pebbled, but not pebbled patent as far as I have seen so far.

Ozmodiar, is it possible yours actually is Rose? Its hard to tell from your pics for sure. There are several other pebbled patent Rose Downtowns on eBay right now if you want to check out more pics.