Got offered a not so perfect Birkin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all above 3 replies lovely posted! Being slouchy is not a defect in a Birkin. It's different characters of different leathers and different people prefer different looks on a bag. You should have said to your SA that you didn't like the slouchy look, therefore he/she should be looking out for your for stiffer leather bags. It would make it so much easier for you and your SA down the line. JMHO.

My thread started simply out of curiosty who else had my experience today but sadly so many people are focus that I got offered 3 birkins. I'm new here..after reading so many great thread, just thought to share my experience.

Make no mistake I am thrilled for you and no insult was intended when I stated a lot of folks would have been thrilled in being offered one birkin let alone 3 from which to choose. It is fact. In all things there is more than just the self view.

To know the characteristics of the various leathers is essential especially if one has expectations of rigidity versus a relaxed look.

sydspy said:
a friend of mine who has receieved his two brandnew SO TOGO Birkins , and they both has started to slouch already.........I believe this has something to do with the quality of the new TOGO leather.........just my two cents........:biggrin:

super congrats on having three choices to choose from.......and the Tosca is such a pretty colour.........:biggrin:

I was shown a Togo Kelly and found it to be much slouchire than the Epsom I got. It did feel like the bag was not new because of the relaxed look. I agree that it's probably the leather.

a friend of mine who has receieved his two brandnew SO TOGO Birkins , and they both has started to slouch already.........I believe this has something to do with the quality of the new TOGO leather.........just my two cents........:biggrin:

super congrats on having three choices to choose from.......and the Tosca is such a pretty colour.........:biggrin:

I just received my togo SO B and it hasn't slouched at all. And I am trying to get it to slouch a bit. Like I said, I don't think being slouchy has anything to do with the quality. It's just different characters of different leathers.

Since I obviously didn't see the rejected Birkins, I cannot speak to the experience of the OP, but speaking in generalizations, I think perhaps there is a bit of overreaction among some buyers. Yes, it is each customer's right to hold whatever standards of perfection he wishes, and of course when purchasing something as expensive as an Hermes bag, any of us would expect an item in flawless (undamaged) condition. That said, I am a little troubled when folks post, for example, that they would never deign to purchase a bag not presented to them in a shrink-wrapped box, or when someone expresses outrage that a new bag shows some slouchiness. When I find myself obsessing about every tiny sign of wear and tear, I remember that the thing is not a trophy: These are handbags, meant to be handled and carried and filled with stuff and even--gasp--occasionally put on the floor, and the minute you drive a bag off the lot it is no longer pristine, so perhaps a little tolerance for the variability of leathers and the idiosyncrasies of handmade leather products might be indicated? Just a thought.

The slouchyness of Clemence is not a "problem" it is a natural carachteristic of that paricular leather.:smile:

When I said it is slouching..I don't mean the whole bag looks naturally slouched..the second bag was the front middle part which can not stand straight but the back was fine.

I'm not an expert on leather since I only have a few birkins but one thing for sure it was not clemence...both bags were not smooth leather.

When I said it is slouching..I don't mean the whole bag looks naturally slouched..the second bag was the front middle part which can not stand straight but the back was fine.

I'm not an expert on leather since I only have a few birkins but one thing for sure it was not clemence...both bags were not smooth leather.

Clemence is a pebbled/grained leather. It is not smooth.

Since I obviously didn't see the rejected Birkins, I cannot speak to the experience of the OP, but speaking in generalizations, I think perhaps there is a bit of overreaction among some buyers. Yes, it is each customer's right to hold whatever standards of perfection he wishes, and of course when purchasing something as expensive as an Hermes bag, any of us would expect an item in flawless (undamaged) condition. That said, I am a little troubled when folks post, for example, that they would never deign to purchase a bag not presented to them in a shrink-wrapped box, or when someone expresses outrage that a new bag shows some slouchiness. When I find myself obsessing about every tiny sign of wear and tear, I remember that the thing is not a trophy: These are handbags, meant to be handled and carried and filled with stuff and even--gasp--occasionally put on the floor, and the minute you drive a bag off the lot it is no longer pristine, so perhaps a little tolerance for the variability of leathers and the idiosyncrasies of handmade leather products might be indicated? Just a thought.

Good post.
This applies right across the board doesn't it !
If we don't 'stop and smell the roses' sometimes ...... we're a long time dead .......
Enjoy life :yes:

:goodpost:

I don't get it...why so much reason for Hermes...I love Hermes but I treat Hermes like how I treat Chanel, Tiffany, etc etc...

If I get something not up to my standard and I pay a lot of money for it then yes I should of said something and expect better from them. I skip from Chanel to Hermes because of the quality issue in Chanel however I never have this issue with Chanel.

Maybe I just have a high expectation on luxury good quality..If I don't care then why pay so much and go through the hassle...just buy a fake (not that I would:P)

I am not sure what you mean by smooth leather but Clemence/Togo have grains and are not what you would call smooth leathers.

Mindi B said:

Good post! Leather is a natural product. No two cows are alike although as a high quality leather manufacturer, Hermes does try to be consistent with its leather quality. But as most have learned and known, the leather quality of hermes have changed throughout the years. Box is different, barenia is different and even Togo can be different within the same year, with some have veining and some don't.

I support the OPs decision to reject what she feels uncomfortable paying. However I think the benefit of this forum is to help each other gain knowledge of Hermes products. In some cases perhaps even to alert each other of potential Hermes quality decline which sadly is more and more evident in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.