Got My Rebecca Minkoff Matinee- So Sad!

GUNG

Aug 25, 2007
SF Bay Area, CA
hi all, i received my clutch in black, morning after mini in black and i absolutely hate the leather it reminds me of rubber. i am trying to love it. and the zippers are really hard to zip and quite sharp. i did purchase the mantinee in grey with dark grey suede and am happy some with it. although i can see how it is not that well crafted. the leather is great and soft not at all like the elephant one but the handles were cut poorly. i can see the poor cut and the inconsistencies. i doubt i will order over phone again. i have a number of handbags and the handles are not as poorly crafted as my rm bags. the matinee would be great except for that. ahh well, lesson learned
Im confused, do you hate the clutch or the MAM? Maybe you can exchange them? RM has phenomenal quality from what I have seen (and felt:upsidedown:!)

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I wonder if its becuz these are sample sale bags? I bought both my Matinee and MA from Nordstroms and I couldn't be happier with them (and I am VERY picky about my bags!) - esp the Matinee. The leather is so wonderfully thick & soft. The leather on my MA (glazed espresso) is so thin and lightweight - the bag actually collapses if it's not completely stuffed. I don't normally like shinier bags, but there's something about this glazed espresso that makes the leather so wonderful (I never thought a shiny bag could be so soft - I always associated shine w/stiffness) - even with all my things inside, the bag hardly weighs anything. I don't see any sloppy workmanship either, although I can see that it's been hand stitched.

I just wonder if the sample sale bags are lower quality than bags sold retail???

Freshface5

Jul 26, 2006
I felt the same way when I received the AC mini city tote. There was a frenzy on the board about it so I ordered it. It was so tiny even for my petite self. Poorly constructed for the price and back it went. On the other hand, I was very impressed with the RM nikki hobo. The leather was much better than expected. I also have a mini morning in navy. The leather is matte and soft. I've not experienced any of the zipper problems or poor construction. My purse is pretty solid and it takes quite a beating. Hope you can sell it.

BagLover21

NYC
O.G.
Sep 27, 2007
hi iluvmybags,

my grievances are aligned with those of brownskinlady. i think the leather is definitely beautiful, but my handles are also unevenly cut and the zippers are hard to zip/unzip. the tassels hanging from the zippers are not cleanly cut and look a bit disheveled. i do love the suede part of the bag. but after hearing so many amazing things i found that i was a bit disappointed when i pulled her out.

i have a tomato MAB coming tomorrow from the sample sale. we'll see what i think of her. luckily i bought my matinee from luna boston so i can return it. i'm optimistic about the MAB. if it doesn't work out i will sell it to someone who will give it a great home.

i hope this was helpful.

brownskinlady

Nov 8, 2007
sigh, i don't love them. i went to henri bendels several times to compare the quality before my rm bags arrived in the mail from the sample sale pre order. i feel as though the sample sale bags were really samples. perhaps rm bags purchased through vendors and not through the rm pre sample sale are of better quality. i remember adoring the the black and blue and glazed expresso matinees at bloomingdales, but the bags i received definitely have flaws. every time i look at my matinee i stare at the cut of the handles although the zipper quality is much better than that of the clutch and the mam. and there is a pinhole in the front of my grey maitnee. sigh... no more pre order rm sample sales for me.

brownskinlady

Nov 8, 2007
also going back to the handles, i compared them to my other bags and these handles by far are the worst. i have several botkier, louis', mjs, mk, and a bruekner along with a coach and the handles don't look anything like my rm matinee and mam. :sad:

GUNG

Aug 25, 2007
SF Bay Area, CA
Hmm. I cannot comment on the sample sale bags because I havent yet received mine. However, I did receive my wine matinee from Luna Boston today and the construction and quality was near perfect.

Now this is going to sound kind of sick but I kind of view the "flaps" on the matinee to be sort of like "ears" Very big, dumbo like ears! When I peeled the ears back to show the suede, I noticed there was a little bit of dust, residue, and a few specks of glue looking stuff. My first thoughts was oh great, its like dirty ears! Fortunately the gluey stuff and residue flaked right off and I have proceeded to allow myself to fall completely in love with the bag! It is so incredible, and I am super happy with the construction!

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Whenever I hear "sample" I think "trial"....an experiment if you will. What I can't understand is how some people are being charged full price for sample bags??? Makes no sense whatsoever.

A sample is just that: a piece of something bigger....I'm guessing RM was 'sampling' her bags and the reaction they would get from the public.

On one hand, this is very clever marketing, but on another, word of mouth is huge....I don't think it will affect her sales in the slightest with respect to those purchasing from her website or other reputable and authentic stores, but I do think it might alter the sales of future sample sales by RM.

At the end of the day, I was going to purchase 2 RM bags, but now, I've orderedd only one from Label360.....the black/basketweave MA mini....If I like it, I might order more, if not, at least I won't be stuck with 2.

purseinsanity

I can't stoaaaaahp!!
O.G.
Apr 10, 2007
In "H"andbag "H"eaven
I'm sorry...I know how you feel. If it makes you feel any better, I was VERY excited to get my matinee and when I finally did, I loved the color and the leather. Wasn't quite sure about the style. I put it away for a couple days and looked at it again and liked it more. By the time I finally used it, I LOVED it. The leather gets better with use and the gazillion pockets are a godsend! Maybe it'll grow on you. If not, there's always ebay!

brownskinlady

Nov 8, 2007
I'm sorry...I know how you feel. If it makes you feel any better, I was VERY excited to get my matinee and when I finally did, I loved the color and the leather. Wasn't quite sure about the style. I put it away for a couple days and looked at it again and liked it more. By the time I finally used it, I LOVED it. The leather gets better with use and the gazillion pockets are a godsend! Maybe it'll grow on you. If not, there's always ebay!
thanks purseinsanity. this is very true, i'm hoping they will grow on me. i need to stop staring at the imperfections. everything on the matinee is perfect except for the handles and the pinhole. i'm also thinking of zipper lube for the zippers on my clutch and mam. i had no idea they made such things, thank goodness for google. i know that rm bags can be gorgeous. i just feel a little bummed considering i ordered the bags the first two days of the preorder and then discovered people were able to find even better deals through luna boston, and nordstrom in addition to the not so thrilling mini flaws in my bags. ahh well. i know that rm bags are great, i've seen flawless ones in person but i will be very wary of presale sample sales from rm in the near future. thankfully i live in ny, and will just have to physically go to one.

and yes, if a bond doesn't occur between me and my bags there is always ebay!!

bagshopr

O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
U.S.A.
I do think the workmanship on my Matinee is top notch. The bag's style is just not for me. I think it's all those tassels that are bothersome. I might take those off and see if I am happier.
I do think I got a great deal through the sample sale. My bag was $395, shipped.
I'm taking it to work this morning to show it off- I have been talking about it for so long, everyone is dying to see the bag. Maybe I can learn to love it.

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I do think that all the recent hype about RM bags (the interview on The Blog, the sample sale & Nordstroms markdown to 1/2 price) has brought on a desire for these bags. This seems to happen every few months or so w/various designers (remember all the fuss about Hayden Harnett bags over the week of 4th of July??). I think all of the attention causes people to second guess their original choices to pass on a bag that maybe wasn't for them.

About a month ago, I saw a pic of Jessica Simpson carrying a gray colored bag that I really, really liked. I found out it was the Matinee & not long after that, I read a post from a PF'er about how wonderful the leather was & it's evidence of being handmade (making each bag very unique & individual). I started looking them up online & was going to order one from Revolve using my 30% 1st time d/c - then I found out that Nordstroms had them on sale - I had intended on getting the elephant, but when I saw it in person I was very disappointed in the leather - I spent almost an hour trying to talk myself into it (I loved the color - hated the leather) just becuz I really wanted it - when I took one last look at the sale table, I found the black/Blue matinee & I was instantly in love!! If I hadn't found the black Matinee, I probably would have gotten the elephant & ended up returning it (I don't think I would ever come to love that leather). The point is, each bag is very different & even though you don't "love" the bag you got, maybe you'd love another one.

halocom

Dec 26, 2006
I honestly believe that the craftmanship issues depend on who made the bag and not on whether it came from the sample sale vs. a retail store.

The first RM bag I got was purchased from a well-known e-tailer and when I received it, I was hugely disappointed -- the handles were poorly cut and not well centered and there was so much excess lining that even if I pushed it all to the sides of the bag, there was still almost 5" of fabric sticking up in the middle. I ended up returning that one and got another one which was perfect in every way and made me understand and agree with the raves on the brand's quality.

All in all, I think this is a brand where I'd prefer to buy the bags in person rather than online. That way, I'd be able to look it over and save the time and effort of ordering and returning an imperfect product.

:smile:

Megs

I love bags
Admin
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
www.purseblog.com
Sorry to hear this- I am head over heels for the MA bag. I got to see and feel a ton of them in person and I could not be happier with them!!!!

The Matinee is longer, and I am not must of an East-West fan, so I stuck with the MA and love love love it!!!